My latest ‘50s Les Paul conversion project- eye popping original flame top!

What's Hot

Comments

• sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Gonna be feckin awesome! Watching with interest hoping for lots of pictures
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7159
    That was mutilated finish wise, be good to see it looking more natural.
    Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
  • @jumping@shadows what are you going to do about the shallow neck angle? Reset?
    None needed dude! It will accept an ABR flat on the deck, with good break angle :+1: 
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3235
    edited August 2018
    Wow...one of those amazing (and disappointing) moments where you think: if I could just sell every guitar I owned, maybe? Only to realise you still couldn’t stretch to it!

That is going to be stunning.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31648
    Please don't rout it for humbuckers, those P90 routs have survived for 65 years. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • p90fool said:
    Please don't rout it for humbuckers, those P90 routs have survived for 65 years. 
    Don’t worry, their spirit will live on once they’re reborn as factory exact Gibson humbucker routes which this guitar would have got 4 years later anyway, so 61 years of historical Gibson manufacturing process will still be present 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • P90fool? That’s rather appropriate 
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • And let the games begin! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LOL P90fool, you’ve got a lot of bitterness and anger to strangers on the internet who are engaged in their passion and doing what they love, and just sharing the joy of a cool find anyone into vintage guitars would be excited to see- feel free to continue to spout your negativity, and maybe kick the cat, but I’m off! See ya! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    edited August 2018
    p90fool said:

Got to admit I think it's criminal if it's going to lose the p90s.
    A real fucking shame in my opinion.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5630
    edited August 2018
    p90fool said:

That's pretty rude. Who gives a hoot about original routes when little else is original? If Yuuki's going to give it a burst finish anyway, humbuckers would be a more faithful choice than P90s.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • jumping@shadowsjumping@shadows Frets: 1277
    edited August 2018
    p90fool said:
    And let the games begin! 

And so begins the systematic destruction of yet another business users reputation... have we really learnt nothing about ourselves lately or is it that because we’ve tasted blood once, we’ve grown a taste for it? 
    I love this place but the way we are treating each other of late is horrid.
    It’s all good man, if tediously predictable.. Ive been on various forums for almost 20 years and the general idle sniping, bickering, lack of decorum and infighting here is remarkable, and I have great respect for those long standing and knowledgable members who manage to stick it out, and who are always welcome to get in touch if I can help at all, but I am off to more salubrious venues 1 
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2474
    edited August 2018
    p90fool said:
    And let the games begin! 

And so begins the systematic destruction of yet another business users reputation... have we really learnt nothing about ourselves lately or is it that because we’ve tasted blood once, we’ve grown a taste for it? 
    It’s all good man, if tediously predictable.. Ive been on various forums for almost 20 years and the general idle sniping, bickering, lack of decorum and infighting here is remarkable, and I have great respect for those long standing and knowledgable members who manage to stick it out, and who are always welcome to get in touch if I can help at all, but I am off to more salubrious venues 1 
    Tbh i’m shocked at @p90fool ‘s comments. I love vintage guitars and completely ‘get’ the idea of not wanting to mess with old instruments... BUT... this guitar has been altered and dicked around with so much that it’s completely fair game. It’s also @jumping@shadows property to do whatever he wants with and I would do exactly the same! Would I humbucker route my own original 56 goldtop? No. But that’s because it’s in its original (but heavily worn) state.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12669
    Shame you feel like that, Yuuki.

But equally, the parts to restore that guitar back to original (yet refinished) condition are available. It doesn't really sit right with the other guitars you've done, which I agree were train wrecks that you've given a new lease of life to. This one could be restored to original - or improved from original, if it can accept an ABR. By "converting" it into a fake burst (sorry, but we all have our opinions on what these converted guitars are) by re-routing it for humbuckers is just as bad as whoever fitted that Varitone - worse, actually because it won't be easy to put it back as it was.

Obviously, its your guitar - do with it what you will. But I think it goes against your own ethic to modify this one, as it still has factory routes (based on what you've said before about these guitars) - and I can understand @p90fool point, as it does appear that the £££s are more important to the outside observer.

Personally, I feel that it would be a more interesting guitar if it were finished in an aged burst (especially a very honey-like one) but keeping the P90s... it would then look like a long-lost prototype... food for thought?

Peace love and sausage rolls, and all that.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2018
    Ok, I may be rude, but this is not John Birch in the 1970s hacking up common-as-muck ten year old Strats - as much as that now makes us wince - this is 2018 and someone has come on here seeking praise for routing out a pretty well intact 1953 Les Paul, effectively doing more damage to it than it's seen in its first 65 years, purely to make money. 

Yes I'm rude, but I'm nowhere near as rude as that. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3235
    edited August 2018
    p90fool said:
    And let the games begin! 

I just think it’s a crying shame that so many vendors, retailers, finishers and builders are ‘off to more salubrious (and no doubt welcoming) venues’ of late and respect you for taking this latest snipe on the chin. 

In many respects I agree with @p90fool and have on many occasions valued his knowledge and opinions -he is more than welcome to a differing opinion but the way it has been expressed this time seems (to me), to be symptomatic of the ongoing refusal to abide by rule one around here. It’s a shame.
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3175
    tFB Trader
    I like to think we’re lucky to have someone like @jumping@shadows taking his time to get these bastardised guitars back up and playing, rather than left in the state they’re in.

I’m pretty sure that if this particular guitar didn’t have such an amazing top then it’d be tastefully restored back to ‘53 specs. Either way I have no problem with it all, in fact I love it.

Keep going man, you’re a hero.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
    RiftAmps said:
    I like to think we’re lucky to have someone like @jumping@shadows taking his time to get these bastardised guitars back up and playing, rather than left in the state they’re in.

I’m pretty sure that if this particular guitar didn’t have such an amazing top then it’d be tastefully restored back to ‘53 specs. Either way I have no problem with it all, in fact I love it.
    Then why rout it? Why not fit P90 sized humbuckers or indeed P90 sized anything? Why permanently alter it? It's purely for cash, that's all. 

Look, I'm well aware that @jumping@shadows has done a fantastic job rescuing some real basket cases and turning them int0o fantastic guitars, but I'm sorry, this one sucks.  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    p90fool said:
    RiftAmps said:

Then why rout it? Why not fit P90 sized humbuckers or indeed P90 sized anything? Why permanently alter it? It's purely for cash, that's all. 

Look, I'm well aware that @jumping@shadows has done a fantastic job rescuing some real basket cases and turning them int0o fantastic guitars, but I'm sorry, this one sucks.  
    The only difference is the routing is being done a good few years later than it would have been if it had been a humbucker model originally.  What he's doing is turning a total wreck of a guitar in to an affordable version of one of the most desirable models there is, and someone will get loads of pleasure from buying it and playing it.  A sympathetic restoration would still be mostly non-original anyway, dont see any issue in what he's doing, in fact i think it's great work.

And as for some of the comments on here, there's absolutely no need at all to be offensive, you can disagree without resorting to childish name calling.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5630
    p90fool said:
    Ok, I may be rude, but this is not John Birch in the 1970s hacking up common-as-muck ten year old Strats - as much as that now makes us wince - this is 2018 and someone has come on here seeking praise for routing out a pretty well intact 1953 Les Paul, effectively doing more damage to it than it's seen in its first 65 years, purely to make money. 

Yes I'm rude, but I'm nowhere near as rude as that. 
    You're defeating your own argument by saying that Yuuki is motivated by cash. The vintage guitar market is extremely mature and sophisticated, in contrast to the 1980s, say. If someone is prepared to pay significantly more for a 53 Les Paul converted to 58/59 spec, the market has determined that Yuuki's course of action is appropriate.

To my mind, the idea that non-original vintage guitars must be restored to as close to original spec as possible is just puritanism. Personally, I love 53/54 spec Les Pauls, but I wouldn't touch one that didn't have its original finish.