My latest ‘50s Les Paul conversion project- eye popping original flame top!

What's Hot

Comments

• TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    Waiting for the "are you gonna put a sticker over the serial number to confuse origin" 

Post an opinion yeah or nay but don't try to enforce your opinion. Jeez!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the more measured and adult contributions all- this stuff isn’t life and death, and this guitar has been a partless husk since the ‘90s, had the back stripped with a radial sander, what does indeed look like a Varitone fitted with both chokes between the controls, a slew of holes from unknown bridges and a tummy tuck, and not that I need approval from anyone what I do with the guitars I buy and work on, this is absolute fair game- it would be a wholly unoriginal, refinished and rebuilt example of the least desirable trapeze iteration of the LP Goldtop, or the most impressive original centre seam flame top Burst conversion ever seen, taking full advantage of the totally compromised condition/originality and the exceptional gift of the original maple cap- pretty easy decision for me :+1: 

@p90fool here’s a NOS, never assembled ‘69 LP Custom I found salvaged from Kalamazoo as you see it in the first pictures- I also chose to permanently modify this, rather than preserve the state Gibson left it in 50 odd years ago, routing late ‘50s correct humbucker routes and hand carving a deep dish ‘50s top carve, with a vintage correct piano black finish.  

Any objections??

0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    p90fool said:
    Ok, I may be rude, but this is not John Birch in the 1970s hacking up common-as-muck ten year old Strats - as much as that now makes us wince - this is 2018 and someone has come on here seeking praise for routing out a pretty well intact 1953 Les Paul, effectively doing more damage to it than it's seen in its first 65 years, purely to make money. 

Yes I'm rude, but I'm nowhere near as rude as that. 
    The difference is he's being 'rude' to a piece of wood with no feelings, you're being rude to a human being!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9455
    I can understand the point. I’m a tele man and in this months G&B, there was a broadcaster that ATB sold for £65k. Absolute dream of an unmolested classic. If someone put a humbucker in the neck of that, I’d be silently sobbing to myself. Having said that, I wouldn’t have thought twice about changing the blend wiring.

This for me is different though. It’s a battered guitar and as soon as it’s restored, it’s not original anymore. 53s weren’t a great design and were improved in the 50s until Gibson got it right with 55-59, depending on what camp youre in. I really don’t see the difference if it’s restored to 59 or 53 spec. It’s not an original guitar. The only original thing was the paint, which needed refinishing anyway and the routs, which are useless without pickups and wiring.

This isn’t molesting a vintage guitar, it’s a knackered guitar that’ll be made useable, albeit in different vintage spec.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    chris78 said:
    I can understand the point. I’m a tele man and in this months G&B, there was a broadcaster that ATB sold for £65k. Absolute dream of an unmolested classic. If someone put a humbucker in the neck of that, I’d be silently sobbing to myself. Having said that, I wouldn’t have thought twice about changing the blend wiring.

This for me is different though. It’s a battered guitar and as soon as it’s restored, it’s not original anymore. 53s weren’t a great design and were improved in the 50s until Gibson got it right with 55-59, depending on what camp youre in. I really don’t see the difference if it’s restored to 59 or 53 spec. It’s not an original guitar. The only original thing was the paint, which needed refinishing anyway and the routs, which are useless without pickups and wiring.

This isn’t molesting a vintage guitar, it’s a knackered guitar that’ll be made useable, albeit in different vintage spec.
    The paint wasn’t original - OP said it was refinished with rattle cans.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_A said:
    p90fool said:
    Ok, I may be rude, but this is not John Birch in the 1970s hacking up common-as-muck ten year old Strats - as much as that now makes us wince - this is 2018 and someone has come on here seeking praise for routing out a pretty well intact 1953 Les Paul, effectively doing more damage to it than it's seen in its first 65 years, purely to make money. 

Yes I'm rude, but I'm nowhere near as rude as that. 
    The difference is he's being 'rude' to a piece of wood with no feelings, you're being rude to a human being!
    I appreciate the support man, but my feelings are unscathed and I’m just sharing my excitement on an exceptional find, not seeking any approval for what I do, which I’m very secure in :+1: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    edited August 2018
    @chris78 ;;

"I can understand the point. I’m a tele man and in this months G&B, there was a broadcaster that ATB sold for £65k. Absolute dream of an unmolested classic. If someone put a humbucker in the neck of that, I’d be silently sobbing to myself. Having said that, I wouldn’t have thought twice about changing the blend wiring."

My mate got to play that guitar. He is a Tele man through and through and he said it was an absolute cracker!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    edited August 2018
    p90fool said:
    And let the games begin! 

No need for that.

The Rules. 

This is a forum, not a courtroom. We don’t want to write rules any more than you want to read them. Help us keep the rules simple by keeping to the rules. 

1. Don’t be a dick. This is the most important rule. Every other rule is just this one in more detail. 
    2. Don’t be nasty. That means being personally and deliberately insulting, aggressive or vindictive towards any other member or group...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2380
    Rule 1 well and truly broken in this thread. 

Hope @jumping@shadows continues to share build progress in here, found his instagram and followed just in case he decides it's not worth being called names over. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • If this was restored with P90s - but with a sunburst finish... what sort of money would it be worth. Just curious.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16818

I'm shocked by the response.  There are always decisions to make with any repair or restoration.  Any time there is a decision, there will be an opposing viewpoint.   No need to be rude about it

The closest this guitar could ever be to factory original is a restoration of wood and finish with old but not original parts.  I am sure it would look, sound and play bang on... but that would still not make it an original.  The problem is it could then be used to deceive someone into thinking it was all original, something we are usually dead against here.   The history of this particular guitar would be lost to the restoration

A well documented conversion with identifiable top like this can never be sold as an original no matter how good the conversion or how close to original it looks sounds or plays.     In many ways, its a more honest guitar at the end of it.    Its story is being well documented.

I totally understand the draw of that top. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Any other forum would ban @p90fool for that casual outburst, but I suspect as he’s so happy to spout it for all to see, the reflex vitriol is always on a hair trigger, and he’s not someone who’s opinion is of any value to me 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27758
    Inappropriate comments (call them rude, call them insulting, call them dumb, whatever) removed.

Discussion &  debate are fine and no-one expects everyone to agree with everything. 

Name-calling insults are not appropriate, I'd really hoped people realised that by now.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4208
    What a dull place this would be if we all felt the same, not a Les Paul fan but I’ll be following the hopeful restoration thread with great interest 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

I've seen less insults in a Brexit thread!!
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3499
    jpfamps said:

This thread doesn't have as many insults as the one about the Archers though....
    jpfamps said:

This thread doesn't have as many insults as the one about the Archers though....
    I missed that one.

Can I qualify that by saying I'm not a fan of the Archers, or is that likely to drag the tone of this thread down even further?
  • jpfamps said:
    jpfamps said:

I missed that one.

Can I qualify that by saying I'm not a fan of the Archers, or is that likely to drag the tone of this thread down even further?
    Contributions from Mr Cooke usually raises the EQ I’ve found..
    jpfamps said:
    jpfamps said:

I missed that one.

Dr Cooke to you............
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfamps said:
    jpfamps said:
    jpfamps said:

I missed that one.

Dr Cooke to you............
    I didn’t want to litter my comment with the word search of your numerous qualifications Dr :+1: 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom