My latest ‘50s Les Paul conversion project- eye popping original flame top!

What's Hot

Comments

• Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1801
    I have commented about conversions in the past but having seen the work Yukki has done on his IG and FB pages, I have become a convert, restoring that gold top to original spec would mean a load of work, borrowed parts from other wrecks and possibly not even worth all the time and effort as the vintage market gives virtually zero value to restoration works.  He is converting it for money and to me, there is nothing wrong with that idea, he does it with reverence for detail and original specs wherever possible. 

Frankly, I could not live with a Gold Top restoration knowing that top was sitting there just waiting to be brought to life in all its splendour.   

Can't wait to see the progress and the finished top.  If it was for me I would probably want it factory fresh no ageing like a technical reset in time then I could age it through playing. 

Lovely find and a great project. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11651
    tFB Trader
    I was kind of looking forward to following this thread, but it's turned into the usual Fretboard mess as has become all too common of late.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 17reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I was kind of looking forward to following this thread, but it's turned into the usual Fretboard mess as has become all too common of late.
    I'm quietly hoping it will revert back to just a nice interesting story with big pictures and lots of "wow's" awarded. 

*fingers crossed*
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 891
    jpfamps said:
    jpfamps said:

I've seen less insults in a Brexit thread!!
    This thread doesn't have as many insults as the one about the Archers though....
    I missed that one.

Can I qualify that by saying I'm not a fan of the Archers, or is that likely to drag the tone of this thread down even further?
    I find the Archers in the car to be very therapeutic. Same goes for the shipping forecast on the way home from a rock gig......

The recent episode where Joe Grundy came across an old donkey, lengthened it`s legs, sorted it`s teeth and then resprayed it to a thoroughbred brown and sold it as a replica race horse was a little controversial I thought......... 

17reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Personally, I'd be much more interested in this project if it were a refin rather than a converstion.  Often times less "work" is indeed more, and sometimes the hardest thing to achieve. 

There you go, a contrary opinion, which is just that, an opinion...me pitchfork is at the menders, and may very well come back as a shovel....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Personally, I'd be much more interested in this project if it were a refin rather than a converstion.  Often times less "work" is indeed more, and sometimes the hardest thing to achieve. 

There you go, a contrary opinion, which is just that, an opinion...me pitchfork is at the menders, and may very well come back as a shovel....
    Oh but if I’d stripped the crappy refin with the intent to shoot correct gold, and revealed that top, then there’s only one way things would have progressed! 
  • Looks like a lovely guitar. Be interested to see the progress. Personally I'd be happy with a pair of humbuckers thrown in there. Don't like P90s. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7831
    edited August 2018
    I don't give a crap about some psychological idea of a "correct guitar". Anyone who does is forgetting that they're all bits of dead tree meant to play music on.

Any kind of strong feelings about it are pointless really and no different from someone being upset that their Chardonnay comes from the "wrong part of France". Fucking get over yourself. 

@jumping@shadows rock on and chop that shit up! 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72769
    What it really needs is a Bigsby.

No, I'm not just trying to stir things up :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    "What it really needs is a Bigsby."

Just NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Oh but if I’d stripped the crappy refin with the intent to shoot correct gold, and revealed that top, then there’s only one way things would have progressed! 
    I agree it's a superb top, but I also suggest that your skills employed shooting the gold back on would reveal something of equal beauty, and dare I say, with the added bonus of a restorative vibe. An irresistible combination in my eyes.

But you don't need a lecture on legacy, you know what you're about. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    TA22GT said:
    "What it really needs is a Bigsby."

Just NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    It's the perfect candidate because it has no tailpiece holes, a relatively shallow neck angle, and the Bigsby would cover the non-original screw holes, I think - so it would look more or less like a factory one.

If it was me personally I would also fit a pair of Les Paul Deluxe mini-humbuckers, natural-finish or very faint sunburst the top and sod the historical accuracy, but I know that isn't the way to please most people...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    That top is just gorgeous. Looking forward to seeing the finished job.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10911
    Totally into the conversion idea! A player's burst
  • ICBM said:
    If it was me personally I would also fit a pair of Les Paul Deluxe mini-humbuckers, natural-finish or very faint sunburst the top and sod the historical accuracy, but I know that isn't the way to please most people...
    How about a P90 and an Alnico V staple???
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1284
    I have an earlier Yuuki conversion, 1953 which again didn’t need a neck reset. 

Everyone who has played it was blown away and more than one have described it as the best Les Paul they’ve ever played. 

I understand the don’t route brigade but really these instruments have already moved away from collector status before Yuuki gets them. 

What he does is produce instruments which are truly amazing and in their own way living museum pieces because he puts guitars like this into the range of people who are not called Bonamassa

i for one appreciate his skills, and open, honest approach - and I think we’re bloody lucky to have him. 

Many of these guitars (mine certainly) were a few years off being trashed beyond use, Yuuki has saved them - ok he makes money but don’t we all? And his craftmanship should be applauded 

Please let’s not scare another person away

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    If making money was jumping@shadows' main objective he would repurpose it as an authentic replica of Neil Young's Old Black.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    edited August 2018
    mbe said:
    If making money was jumping@shadows' main objective he would repurpose it as an authentic replica of Neil Young's Old Black.
    If it was his sole objective he wouldn’t take the time out to share it all with us - something we should be grateful of - he’s a busy chap and he charges nothing to share these lovely projects with us. We often forget that people often see no value in something that costs nothing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Strat_a_tat_tat said:

How about a P90 and an Alnico V staple???
    That would be my second choice - but I simply associate them more with the all-mahogny Custom than a maple-top.

mbe said:
    ... which would be my third choice :).

But I would still want to leave the top visible, it would be such a shame to cover that beautiful wood.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 891
    mbe said:
    If it was his sole objective he wouldn’t take the time out to share it all with us - something we should be grateful of - he’s a busy chap and he charges nothing to share these lovely projects with us. We often forget that people often see no value in something that costs nothing.
    Or you could view this thread as free advertising..........
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom