Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Mourinho OUT!!!!

What's Hot

Comments

• deanodeano Frets: 622
    I would like nothing more than watch Utd continue on this downward spiral. However, I think some of you are unduly pessimistic about Solskjaer I think he may turn out to be a decent manager, after all when Fergie got the job he too came from a small club up north.
    As for Pochettino, he has a much better team at Spurs, so why would he move to a club that can't compete financially with their nearest neighbours?
    Because Pep will move on at some point and the oil money sheik will decide he wants another toy to play with, and they will revert from Qatar Oil City back to plain old Manchester City who struggle to fill their stadium when playing in teh Premier League.

But Manchester United will always be Manchester United. Arguably the biggest club in the world, but at least in the top three.

That's why. You can have a reasonably good CV with Qatar Oil City, Spurs, Everton and the like. But only have a great CV when it  has Real Madrid, Barcelona or Manchester United on it.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I was listening to Talk Sport (a free hammer drill with every years listening!) yesterday and they had a Cardiff fan on to give their view on Solskjaer. He said that he went a bit crazy with his buying and brought in 17 new players and that consequently he was forever chopping and changing his team. He didn't know his best team.

It will be interesting if 
    Solskjaer doesn't get to buy any (or only a couple of) players in the window because either we have a Director of Football, or because the board want to keep their money for Pochettino when he gets here, because if he has to pick a team from the players he has he will not be in the same position as he was in at Cardiff. He will inherit a squad and will have to work with them rather than being able to buy.

That might work better. We will have to wait and see.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • deano said:
    I would like nothing more than watch Utd continue on this downward spiral. However, I think some of you are unduly pessimistic about Solskjaer I think he may turn out to be a decent manager, after all when Fergie got the job he too came from a small club up north.
    As for Pochettino, he has a much better team at Spurs, so why would he move to a club that can't compete financially with their nearest neighbours?
    Because Pep will move on at some point and the oil money sheik will decide he wants another toy to play with, and they will revert from Qatar Oil City back to plain old Manchester City who struggle to fill their stadium when playing in teh Premier League.

But Manchester United will always be Manchester United. Arguably the biggest club in the world, but at least in the top three.

That's why. You can have a reasonably good CV with Qatar Oil City, Spurs, Everton and the like. But only have a great CV when it  has Real Madrid, Barcelona or Manchester United on it.
    What you need is a Sheikh of your own not the debt laden Glazers. Anyway, this all a bit ironic when United tried to buy the title for years through the 70's and 80's appointing one big time charlie manager after another. I believe Sir Bob Paisley's CV was quite good and it had Liverpool on it. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842

On 3 December 2018, Molde announced that Solskjær extended his contract till the end of the 2021 season.[43]

Manchester United appointed Solskjær as caretaker manager on 19 December 2018, taking over from José Mourinhofor the rest of the 2018–19 season until a permanent replacement is found.[44]He will return to Molde in May 2019, his assistant coach Erling Moe appointed as caretaker manager during Solskjær's absence in the pre-season and the first matches of the 2019 Eliteserien, which starts on 31 March 2019.[45]

so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• I'm not entirely convinced that the corporate set-up at MUFC is the best placed entity to choose the next manager.

The club needs a bloody good shake from boot room to boardroom. 

We need a hard reset. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm not entirely convinced that the corporate set-up at MUFC is the best placed entity to choose the next manager.

We need a hard reset. 
    Agree.  

The club needs to appoint someone to oversee scouting and infrastructure and if they can appoint Paul Mitchell to take the role it would be a major coup.  

I can't see Woodward and the Glazers applying that kind of common sense though, as they haven't shown much intention before so why should they start now? 

We need a hard reset. 
    Agree.  

The club needs to appoint someone to oversee scouting and infrastructure and if they can appoint Paul Mitchell to take the role it would be a major coup.  

I can't see Woodward and the Glazers applying that kind of common sense though, as they haven't shown much intention before so why should they start now? 
    I remember seeing him play for Wigan, he's a good lad.

He also knows how to recruit world class defenders..extremely apposite for our mob at the moment. 

Young, connected, talented, well thought of within the game. I'd welcome him with open bloody arms, the Board however will probably miss him by a country mile. 
  • ourmaninthenorth said: 

He also knows how to recruit world class defenders..extremely apposite for our mob at the moment. 

Young, connected, talented, well thought of within the game. I'd welcome him with open bloody arms, the Board however will probably miss him by a country mile. 
    He grew up in Manchester and is supposed to support Man United as well.  

Which means he's obviously going to be overlooked. 

• ourmaninthenorth said: 

What's your thinking on the next permanent manager? 

My caps in the ring on Antonio Conte.
  • deano said:
    Wishful thinking.  The point of the ownership and investments into infrastructure is part of long terms plans to diversify away from oil as the primary income for the UAE.  All of the developments around the stadium and local area are to generate business and have long term revenue streams.  City are not simply a Abu Dhabi plaything but a long term prestige project to generate income.  It's part of a global game of monopoly they will be in for a very long time.

What you need is a Sheikh of your own not the debt laden Glazers. 

The Glazers have not been perfect owners, but to be fair the debt level relative to the club value and turnover have changed massively over the last few years, so I don't think it is as much of an issue as it was.  The debt is around £450 million and the turnover £500 million, value around £3 billion.  They are still leeching bastards but in business terms the debt / value / turnover rations are probably pretty good.  I wish my mortgage to house value was similar!

ourmaninthenorth said: 

I'm sure it is.

It would be helpful if people suggesting managers told us their allegiance. Who do you support? Then we can know whether the suggestion is coming from someone with an ulterior motive.
  •  What's your thinking on the next permanent manager? 

Conte is an excellent manager and he gets on well with Pogba, so that is one of the elephants in the room addressed but he can be a bit adversarial, especially over player recruitment which from my view is the major failing of the club.  It's less a critique of his management style and more of an observation of the failings of Man United. 

Paul Mitchell believe it or not, is the guy I'd be most happy to see at the club and that's as DoF.  Above someone to pick the teamsheet, the club really needs someone to look objectively at the squad to with finite resources what are the fundamental issues to address. The squad balance needs to be addressed, a proper defensive midfielder is needed, a little like Arsenal who signed Lucas Torreira. Mourinho spent £40m on Matic, and IMO he's the real elephant in the room - he's a player that struggles to move the ball forward or break up play.  

I genuinely couldn't care whether the team wins a title or anything or not, but they have the squad to play to win games and to not be dour, negative and without a plan.  As long as a manager brings a positive attitude and a coherent tactical formation then it's progress. 

However if I had to put forward a name for permanent manager I would most like to see is Leonardo Jardim.  He did an incredible job to break the PSG title monopoly and his development of young players is possibly the best in the game at this moment in time.  Dortmund seem to be doing things as well at this moment in time, and that's down to their Technical Director really identifying what kind of manager their squad needs so once again, if that could be addressed I'm sure a guy like Paul Mitchell would have a much better idea of a manager than Ed Woodward. 

• deano said:
    ourmaninthenorth said: 

I'm sure it is.

It would be helpful if people suggesting managers told us their allegiance. Who do you support? Then we can know whether the suggestion is coming from someone with an ulterior motive.
    Maybe have a read of the thread; why even on this page alone I've use the personal pronoun in relation to MUFC, as I have done in this thread continually. As I have done for the past 45 years....

Is that motive ulterior enough for you? 
  • Hey er, fellas - he’s gone now ain’t he? ;)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Sh*t with Mourinho. Sh*t with Ole. It's a depressing time to be a Man U fan ....

1 win in 5.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:
    Sh*t with Mourinho. Sh*t with Ole. It's a depressing time to be a Man U fan ....

1 win in 5.
    What do you expect, shit team. Others have moved on, you are at best standing still. Your heirarchy just keep making bad sporting decisions.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Yeah, terribly run club considering the resources. Ole may be a fan favourite but he was a very bad decision from Woodward. The team played amazingly when he came in, but somehow it all turned to dust the second he signed a long term deal. Rashford has been disappointing, he hasn't kicked on at all. I rated him much higher than Sterling in the last Euro's, and yet Sterling has left him miles behind now. 
  • fobfob Frets: 1431
    My favourite quote from the MOTD interview with Solskjaer:

Interviewer: How disappointed are you?
    Solskjaer: On a scale from 1 to 10?   Very!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Listen, you're still a Prem team. None of your owners are in prison for money laundering. You weren't docked points for failing FFP. You weren't fined for your fan decking Jack Grealish. You didn't drop Pukka Pies for sacks of mince shite. You didn't sack your best manager in years for ambiguous terms.

Don't be so doom and gloom. With Man United wealth and standing in the game, things can and will change.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • Ha ha ha ha ha .....from the noisy neighbours xxxxx