Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Guitar Show 2019 - 23rd - 24th February, The New Bingley Hall, Birmingham

What's Hot

Comments

• JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    Just a quick note to say thank you to all that came or exhibited, it is very much appreciated. Sorry I’ve been slow with replying, yesterday I drove Ron down to Brighton for a BIMM masterclass, he played Eruption then played Eruption backwards?????? I think the students heads exploded at that point. 

Had another curry (not quite as good as a brummie curry) and today we drive to the Bumblefoot Rock School in Oxfordshire. Slightly mad week. 

The TPS video was a welcome surprise :)

J
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Jason said: I do have a plan tho’ 
    Ukuleles only ???????????????
    I’m just going to cut the strings off every guitar 
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14294
    edited February 2019 tFB Trader
    Easy to adapt a blame game for the high noise level to any particular stand, player, demonstrator etc as many are culprits - Yet Sunday morning before the public arrived, so around 9.45ish, I was walking around the show having a chat with a few guys, just as various 'demonstrators' were preparing/checking their set -up and already the noise was far higher than it needed to be - Taking into account the sound only needs to travel a few feet from the amp to the players/customers ears to get your message across, yet some were already 'annoying' you, with excessive volume levels - To the point that already you struggled to have a conversation without having to raise your voice - So there is a point to make that it is the 'product demonstrators' and not the 'salesmen' that start the trend of such noise levels and it just escalates from their

I was glad about the 4 'noise free sessions' through out the day and well spaced about 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Maybe be sponsored by Perspex acoustic baffles ? :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    There's no easy solution to the noise problem in a small-ish venue. I notice in the vids from NAMM and the like that Friedman amps always seem to have their gear demos in a room completely separate from the main halls, but I guess there aren't enough rooms to do that at Bingley?
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    tFB Trader
    Gadget said:
    There's no easy solution to the noise problem in a small-ish venue. I notice in the vids from NAMM and the like that Friedman amps always seem to have their gear demos in a room completely separate from the main halls, but I guess there aren't enough rooms to do that at Bingley?
    Yes and instructions from the NAMM organisers - Plus higher costs to exhibit and longer time required to prepare such sound booths
  • Gadget said:
    Well, I've sent this to Jason, but I had a couple of suggestions on that score...

Our experience on our stand was that there was effectively a volume war going on between Gartone and Victory, because they were both demonstrating amps (obviously) and they were facing each other from 10ft away. Ergo...might be an idea to try to avoid situating amp companies opposite or within 1 stand of each other - that'll let them keep the volume down to reasonable levels while still allowing people to hear the amps. Hell, put the ear plug companies (ACS etc) opposite the guys demonstrating amps - the volume would actually be useful to them!

There's also the "discount if you're using a modeller/load box and headphones" option for non-amp and non-cab companies, or - conversely - a surcharge for making noise.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    TBF, nearly every stand had an amp on it...
    tFB Trader
    Are 2020 dates now set in stone
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    I don't think how close particular companies stands were made much difference, as the noise was from all sides, TBH.

There were several times I was trying to have a conversation with people on their stands and we had to give up.

The fact is that you need to play an amp at some sort of volume to be able to get any feel for it, so I can't say that pointing fingers is any solution and I don't have the answer.

Maybe some sort of a rota around the stands (if the green light is on you then you can turn up a bit) might be a way of avoiding a general cacophony.

I would say that this was not as bad as an Olympia bass show I went to, where I had to go out because my whole head was resonating.
    tFB Trader
    Gadget said:

The Friedman room was shared by 5 amp companies, I assume spreading the cost (the are a collective any way, Egnator, Diezel, Toneking etc) They are hugely cost prohibitive, I would image the stand at NAMM would have cost well over $100,000.00

There isn't enough room at TNBH or enough money in the UK to justify these costs.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Gadget said:
    Well, I've sent this to Jason, but I had a couple of suggestions on that score...

Our experience on our stand was that there was effectively a volume war going on between Gartone and Victory, because they were both demonstrating amps (obviously) and they were facing each other from 10ft away. Ergo...might be an idea to try to avoid situating amp companies opposite or within 1 stand of each other - that'll let them keep the volume down to reasonable levels while still allowing people to hear the amps. Hell, put the ear plug companies (ACS etc) opposite the guys demonstrating amps - the volume would actually be useful to them!

There's also the "discount if you're using a modeller/load box and headphones" option for non-amp and non-cab companies, or - conversely - a surcharge for making noise.
    I'll email you later as I have just got in, but there isn't enough money in this show to start giving discounts out to people
    tFB Trader
    Are 2020 dates now set in stone
    Yes 29/2 - 1/3 2020
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    Went to the doctor today and told him, “my right ear’s not working”. 
    He asked, “Are you sure?”
    I said, “Yes I’m definite”.

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited February 2019
    viz said:
    Went to the doctor today and told him, “my right ear’s not working”. 
    He asked, “Are you sure?”
    I said, “Yes I’m definite”.

I suffer from blocked ears from now and then. Quite recently I had to have my left ear syringed whichbis next to my amp and Drummer. Nurse told me it’s my ears defence to build up ear wax to protect itself from loud noise etc. Made me think about getting some ear protectors as this isn’t the first time I’ve had to syringe that ear. Sorry just wanted to share that bit of info 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Easy to adapt a blame game for the high noise level to any particular stand, player, demonstrator etc as many are culprits - Yet Sunday morning before the public arrived, so around 9.45ish, I was walking around the show having a chat with a few guys, just as various 'demonstrators' were preparing/checking their set -up and already the noise was far higher than it needed to be - Taking into account the sound only needs to travel a few feet from the amp to the players/customers ears to get your message across, yet some were already 'annoying' you, with excessive volume levels - To the point that already you struggled to have a conversation without having to raise your voice - So there is a point to make that it is the 'product demonstrators' and not the 'salesmen' that start the trend of such noise levels and it just escalates from their

I was glad about the 4 'noise free sessions' through out the day and well spaced about 
    This. There was no excuse for the ‘demonstrators’ to be cranking amps at 9:30am in the morning, let’s face it, it’s mainly a dick waving exercise for these guys, the punters are not general the culprits.

I thought @Jason did a stirling job though. I noticed him more than once telling the main offenders to turn down in a firm but fair manner. Great show again, Nice one mate! :) 
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • Just as a quick FYI regarding parking - There's loads of free parking in the streets nearby the venue. I've never had trouble parking close to the Hall and just walking.
    I understand that this isn't ideal for some members here, but it's a pretty good area for parking, so don't rely on the Bingley Hall car park for parking as it gets full quickly.
  • I had an absolute blast on the saturday. Got there around 1045, went straight to the marquee to see Paul Sayers. Had no idea one of my idols - Tom Quayle - had just performed and was putting his guitar away. I was gutted to miss his set, but I went straight up to him, somewhat awkwardly, and introduced myself.
    Tom was very friendly and even got his signature Ibanez back out of it's case to let me have a go on. Absolute gent.

Paul Sayers was excellent. Stunning tones coming from his simple, yet glorious rig.
    I enjoyed the Aynsley Lister and Chris Buck stuff. AL's tone was excellent from his signature Rift Amps amplifier. Loved Chris's understated, tasteful and modern take on blues playing.

Tried numerous instruments in the show, and found all of the exhibitors to be very friendly and patient, and also willing to let you get your hands on the gear!

Gordon Smith and Eastman were particularly good IMO. 

Was sorely tempted by the Black, maple board '72 tele for sale, I think it was The Little Guitar Shop(?) but it had been sold by the time I went back for a second look.

Chicken Curry for lunch at a reasonable price for a great big, generous portion.

All in all a fantastic day out.

• Just as a quick FYI regarding parking - There's loads of free parking in the streets nearby the venue. I've never had trouble parking close to the Hall and just walking.
    I understand that this isn't ideal for some members here, but it's a pretty good area for parking, so don't rely on the Bingley Hall car park for parking as it gets full quickly.

I was going to suggest that maybe on-site parking should be for exhibitors & disabled only. If there was a cheap, secure parking place nearby I'd happily use it. Or park on the street like I did this time. But if I lived there I'd get pissed off rapidly
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    trolley said:
    Just as a quick FYI regarding parking - There's loads of free parking in the streets nearby the venue. I've never had trouble parking close to the Hall and just walking.

I was going to suggest that maybe on-site parking should be for exhibitors & disabled only. If there was a cheap, secure parking place nearby I'd happily use it. Or park on the street like I did this time. But if I lived there I'd get pissed off rapidly
    Or do what we did and get therefore @9:45
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom