Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar Guitar R9 sale - Anyone getting excited about these

What's Hot

Comments

• hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1422
    Twinfan said:
    Yup.  And now the R8 deal has all but gone and word is getting around about the R9s, they're selling.
    They are indeed. I’ve been watching this closely. The best tops are all going first unsurprisingly. Loads of them are washed cherry.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    I'm more into archtops and thinlines and, I have to admit, I don't know the first thing about Les Pauls, but I played one recently and it was superb - a couple of trade-ins and begging, stealing and borrowing later, I picked this up. It's a 50th Anniversary 'Gold Book' R9 and apparently is 1 of 500. I can't find too much info on them - is it worth hanging onto, or is the 'gold book' just a piece of marketing that the foolish (like me) fall for? Is there anything special about them apart from the (admittedly pretty) gold book?

Call me Dave.
  • DB1 said:
    I'm more into archtops and thinlines and, I have to admit, I don't know the first thing about Les Pauls, but I played one recently and it was superb - a couple of trade-ins and begging, stealing and borrowing later, I picked this up. It's a 50th Anniversary 'Gold Book' R9 and apparently is 1 of 500. I can't find too much info on them - is it worth hanging onto, or is the 'gold book' just a piece of marketing that the foolish (like me) fall for? Is there anything special about them apart from the (admittedly pretty) gold book?

Just a bunch of marketing tbh, you best sell it on. Probably worth about a grand in this market, I'll give you that and will come collect tonight.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'll readily admit to being simple, but......  :-)
    Call me Dave.
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Never heard of the Gold Book thing - new one on me...
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14277
    tFB Trader
    DB1 said:

I'd have to go through my database stock book for more info but sold one 3/4 years ago 

https://reverb.com/uk/item/6685701-gibson-50th-anniversary-1959-les-paul-gold-book-1-of-500-r9-mint-rare-dark-burst

think it is this one - http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/50th-Anniversary-1959-Les-Paul-Standard.aspx

Yes, that's the one! I've seen a few for sale, but the prices seem to fluctuate so much - between £4500 and £6000, that I wondered if there were any differences, or if the 'gold book' specs were all the same. Limited to 250 of each colour, I think. 
    Call me Dave.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14277
    tFB Trader
    DB1 said:
    Yes, that's the one! I've seen a few for sale, but the prices seem to fluctuate so much - between £4500 and £6000, that I wondered if there were any differences, or if the 'gold book' specs were all the same. Limited to 250 of each colour, I think. 
    I sold mine in 2016 - around £4200 at the time - part of another limited run to celebrate 50 years of the 59 LP - 2 colours - 250 each colour
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10232
    Just picked up an Iced Tea R9. 

£3500 is a great price for a R9. Whether the flame is worth that or not I think that you can recoup a decent amount of it if you sell it. 
    Pics?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Now down to 28 at GuitarGuitar.  They're clearly  selling really well.

Interestingly, the fantastic looking cherry R9 I returned is still for sale.  Clearly I'm not the only one who thinks it's not a great guitar to play.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10232
    Twinfan said:
    Pics?
    I’ve taken a punt on it by buying online so the pics I have are the ones on the site. Personally I think it’s the best one they’ve got... had. 

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/180814331290008-1946616--gibson-custom-shop-les-paul-standard-1959-figured-top-i

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1422
    Twinfan said:
    Pics?
    I’ve taken a punt on it by buying online so the pics I have are the ones on the site. Personally I think it’s the best one they’ve got... had. 

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/180814331290008-1946616--gibson-custom-shop-les-paul-standard-1959-figured-top-i

I was looking at that one. Definitely the best looking iced tea on the site. Fingers crossed you get a belter!
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    Twinfan said:
    Pics?

If I’ve learned anything from this thread it’s that all the guitars GG are selling are virtually guaranteed to look better in person. Congrats - hope that truth is maintained. :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yep, great score  :)
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    Well, I went into Guitar Guitar Camden yesterday and I probably won't rush to go back there; nobody acknowledged me and staff stood in the way doing their thing - I felt like the invisible man.
  • It's either too much or nothing with guitar shops isn't it.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • prowla said:
    Well, I went into Guitar Guitar Camden yesterday and I probably won't rush to go back there; nobody acknowledged me and staff stood in the way doing their thing - I felt like the invisible man.
    Not surprised.
  • prowla said:
    Not surprised.

Just like GAK in Brighton - seems like you are spoiling whatever they are doping when you walk in the shop - I've walked straight out of there a few times now - these big guys moan about box shifters on net only yet don't offer good service in the shops

• TheGASMan said:
    prowla said:
    Not surprised.

Just like GAK in Brighton - seems like you are spoiling whatever they are doping when you walk in the shop - I've walked straight out of there a few times now - these big guys moan about box shifters on net only yet don't offer good service in the shops

It's weird, because the Newcastle guys are great. Even if you're looking at low end, affordable stuff, they'll bend over backwards to help you. 

People in here seem to recommend Epsom as well. I guess it's like any other retailer. You're only as good as your staff. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you