Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar Guitar R9 sale - Anyone getting excited about these

What's Hot

Comments

• teradaterada Frets: 5114
    edited October 2018
    Stunning Stunning Stunning. Great stuff guys
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4205
    Ive bitten the bullet and am having an R9 built for me, build thread will follow when all the funds and materials are in place ;)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Down to 15 R9s at GuitarGuitar - they're certainly selling well!

In other news, I've had to swap out the pickups in my R9 as they were just too weak.  They both read 7.5k and must have the weakest magnets known to man in them.  I've gone for a set of Seymour Duncan AP2S "Slash" pickups in the obligatory zebra/reverse zebra format.

Sounds absolutely killer now  :grin: 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Walked into Macari's London earlier, where they were trying to sell and R9 for £7499. I asked why it's so expensive and he said it's because it's true historic VOS. To which I replied....ooh like my R8 which was 5k cheaper
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    6reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Walked into Macari's London earlier, where they were trying to sell and R9 for £7499. I asked why it's so expensive and he said it's because it's true historic VOS. To which I replied....ooh like my R8 which was 5k cheaper
    The whole triumvirate combined were less than that :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    I’m more suprised Macaris have Gibson’s. They had nothing at all when I went in there a month ago
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Kitsune said:
    I’m more suprised Macaris have Gibson’s. They had nothing at all when I went in there a month ago
    They probably bought it for £3499 from GG.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10278
    edited October 2018
    Walked into Macari's London earlier, where they were trying to sell and R9 for £7499. I asked why it's so expensive and he said it's because it's true historic VOS. To which I replied....ooh like my R8 which was 5k cheaper

I thought they were 58 body 59 neck no VOS or True Historic right? Like a limited run, hybrid type thing?
    They were just called "Standards" for 2017 but are VOS finished with True Historic plastics.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Twinfan said:
    They were just called "Standards" for 2017 but are VOS finished with True Historic plastics.

Gotcha. Well that’s definitely one to make them sheepish about then  ;)
    Yep!

I still find it crazy that Peach have £4k+ R8s and £5k+ R9s on the site for sale.  No chance of them going anywhere in the near future...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Yea. The whole brand feels devalued at the moment to be honest. We know how much they could sell for, and I can’t see anyone paying full price for a while, and buying a used one for £3k+ is a no go for a while. 
    Yea. The whole brand feels devalued at the moment to be honest. We know how much they could sell for, and I can’t see anyone paying full price for a while, and buying a used one for £3k+ is a no go for a while. 
    Give it time though and they will bounce back. They'll bounce even higher if the custom shop goes M2M only.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    edited October 2018
    I think the biggest threat to resale value of these r8s is the quality & improvements within in the Traditional line.

Have referred to it other threads but there really was minuscule & frankly only a cork-sniffers difference between the Traditional I had from Adamski and my R8. Yes it’s ‘better’ but if the traditionals improve further and differentiate more from the standards - say hide glue, no truss-rod condom, Custombuckers & a VOS finish, who’d buy a custom shop r8/9? The CS market shrinks to being just extremely high end & genuinely M2M (scale length, Braz boards, relicing etc) as opposed to historical re-enactment NOS type guitars. If there was no R8 blowout & I was fortunate enough to be able to buy I’d have been more than happy with the Trad as a keeper.

Better much higher volume sales of non - CS traditionals with r8/r9 like features at the £3k plus some at the uber high end 5k+ mark than Henry’s model & hundreds of unsold r7,8,9s each year with annual blowouts I think.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1425
    @Twinfan That washed cherry R9 you returned has been returned again to GG! Haha! Is that 3 times it’s been returned now? Must be an awful R9!
    Ha ha, that's quite amusing!  As soon as you pick it up you can tell it's a Friday afternoon guitar.  The fingerboard feels rough, the neck is really square and it just feels cobbled together.

A real shame, as the top is fantastic.
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1425
    edited October 2018
    It’s serial 97452 is really close to my tobacco R9 which is 97449!  My tobacco is an absolute belter though with the most honk I’ve heard on one of these. Very well put together and finished. Strange how they can vary SO much. 
    Gibson aren't PRS  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Heading out to give a couple of tobaccos a go. hmmm
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Good luck!  Let us know how you get on...