Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar Guitar R9 sale - Anyone getting excited about these

What's Hot

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    hyperben said:
    More than one dealer has offered me R9s at £3300 if bought outright. The finance obviously costs them money despite being marketed as 0%, so there are still discounts to be had if prepared to pay that way. This was enough to persuade me to buy an R9.
    I know how the 0% finance works for the dealer - But isn't it illegal to offer a lower price if you buy it without the 0% agreement - That is effectively saying it isn't 0% - Sure someone has better knowledge on this than me but dealer should be careful 
    Discounting “for cash” is not illegal... the agreement is still 0% should they choose to pay with finance. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    guitars4you said:

I know how the 0% finance works for the dealer - But isn't it illegal to offer a lower price if you buy it without the 0% agreement?
    Err... no!
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    The dealer has to pay the finance company for the contract I think, so the cash discount is only to match the price the delaer gets from a finance deal.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14279
    tFB Trader
    Whitecat said:
    hyperben said:
    More than one dealer has offered me R9s at £3300 if bought outright. The finance obviously costs them money despite being marketed as 0%, so there are still discounts to be had if prepared to pay that way. This was enough to persuade me to buy an R9.
    I know how the 0% finance works for the dealer - But isn't it illegal to offer a lower price if you buy it without the 0% agreement - That is effectively saying it isn't 0% - Sure someone has better knowledge on this than me but dealer should be careful 
    Discounting “for cash” is not illegal... the agreement is still 0% should they choose to pay with finance. 
    surely that means that £3300 then becomes the 0% finance option as well - Otherwise the consumer is paying a fee for the finance in some form or another
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    No, the customer can take finance at 0% with a price of £3499.  If they're paying cash, it's £3300.  Two prices for two different payment methods.

I don't think that's illegal, but I'm no expert.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Twinfan said:
    No, the customer can take finance at 0% with a price of £3499.  If they're paying cash, it's £3300.  Two prices for two different payment methods.

I'm rusty on this now as I don't offer such options - the finance company need a serious commitment from the dealer to offer such deals, so not for me - By all means on a one to one the dealer/customer can talk, but I'm pretty sure that somewhere in the terms, according to citizens advice etc that you can't differentiate a cash deal from a 0% finance deal

Yes the dealer pays a fee to the finance company, but I'm sure you can't effectively offer a 2 tier pricing by the letter of the law
  • Surely in 2018, the best bet is to just get a quick 0% interest credit card, with all the protection they hold, and buy like that?

I used to do that, more so when I had almost enough to get a new guitar, but liked the fact I had protection. Nowadays, I keep myself as far from 'borrowing' as possible. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    edited September 2018
    Twinfan said:

I think we need to define our terms here.  When we say cash, it's likely to be a card.  I doubt anyone is actually putting 165 £20 notes on the counter.

It would be illegal to give a cheaper price to the guy with the £20 notes than the guy with the card, but as far as I know, it's not a problem when you are talking about finance versus paying up front.

• hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1422
    edited September 2018
    Twinfan said:

I'm rusty on this now as I don't offer such options - the finance company need a serious commitment from the dealer to offer such deals, so not for me - By all means on a one to one the dealer/customer can talk, but I'm pretty sure that somewhere in the terms, according to citizens advice etc that you can't differentiate a cash deal from a 0% finance deal

Yes the dealer pays a fee to the finance company, but I'm sure you can't effectively offer a 2 tier pricing by the letter of the law
    I’m not really sure to be honest. I always ask for the best price knowing there’s a good chance of a deal when 0% is offered as 0% is never really 0%. From the dealers I spoke to I sensed they were more keen than usual to sell me an R9 and offer a good price, perhaps due to high stock levels and low sales of R9s...?
    edited September 2018
    From https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/in-store-credit-and-hire-purchase/amp -

“The best alternative to in-store finance, unless it’s 0% finance, is to purchase the goods with money you already have - in some cases you might be able to negotiate a discount for cash.”

This is a government-backed advice service... lawyers will have been over that text, we'd hope.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    crunchman said:
    Twinfan said:

I think we need to define our terms here.  When we say cash, it's likely to be a card.  I doubt anyone is actually putting 165 £20 notes on the counter.

It would be illegal to give a cheaper price to the guy with the £20 notes than the guy with the card, but as far as I know, it's not a problem when you are talking about finance versus paying up front.

Between the % skimmed by the bank to deposit and the cost of the time involved it ends up costing more to handle large amounts of cash nowadays than it does to take a Visa or a Mastercard anyway.

No processing fees allowed anymore either thanks to an EU directive, although in the MI industry that wasn't commonplace anyway.
    TheGASMan said:
    hyperben said:
    Coda have a really nice R9 at a good weight. Surely won’t be long before someone snags this one

https://www.coda-music.com/gibson-custom-shop-2017-1959-les-paul-standard-flametop-iced-tea-97822.html

The ones at Kenny’s look nice too.
    Hands off that's mine if I can stop faffing LOL

It's gone... was that you???
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    wow they have 61 still left... surely that'll take a while to clear out
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    edited September 2018
    horse said:
    Hattigol said:
    Am I the only one not even remotely tempted to go and spend £1,000 more than the cost of an R8 on an LP just because it has some flaming on the body?
     Sounds like sour grapes to me. 3.5k isn't a lot of money to many people.

(I'm joking - just echoing the similar comments in response to discussion on dropping 2.5k on an r8) :-)
    Those comments were indeed made. Possibly even by me!

Think I'm lucky though in that I don't actually like flamed guitars. Leave that stuff to PRS. Wouldn't change a thing about my R8...

https://i.imgur.com/T4fI2kx.jpg
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    edited September 2018 tFB Trader
    Whitecat said:
    crunchman said:
    Twinfan said:

Between the % skimmed by the bank to deposit and the cost of the time involved it ends up costing more to handle large amounts of cash nowadays than it does to take a Visa or a Mastercard anyway.

No processing fees allowed anymore either thanks to an EU directive, although in the MI industry that wasn't commonplace anyway.
    certainly - it costs me more to pay £3k cash into the bank then it does to process £3K into my account via a debit card payment
  • Not me buying the Coda - guitar Aah well maybe another will attract my attention
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    For those still on the fence - looks like there's a rather flamey Iced Tea R8 at GG....

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/180814331292008--gibson-custom-shop-les-paul-standard-1958-figured-top-iced-tea
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    johnl said:
    For those still on the fence - looks like there's a rather flamey Iced Tea R8 at GG....

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/180814331292008--gibson-custom-shop-les-paul-standard-1958-figured-top-iced-tea
    Gone.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • johnl said:

Gone in a flash
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Under 20 minutes... there does seem to be something special about the £2.5k price point