The FB BJJ / MA Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    For reasons I'm still unsure of, I have entered the Hants and Dorset BJJ Open next Saturday.

Not yet bricking it but that will come for sure.. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Good luck mate. 
    Got Silver.

7-0 up in the final with a minute and a half to go and tapped to an Americana! 

Great experience nonetheless. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fuengi said:
    Got Silver.

Wow. Excellent mate well done. Did everyone go hell for leather and did you feel ok in your weight class?
    asking as a guy at our place cut a lot of weight for the weigh ins and still felt the smallest in his class. 
    grungebob said:
    Fuengi said:
    Got Silver.

Wow. Excellent mate well done. Did everyone go hell for leather and did you feel ok in your weight class?
    asking as a guy at our place cut a lot of weight for the weigh ins and still felt the smallest in his class. 
    It was very intense. None of our team cut much weight if any and we all matched up pretty well for size. 

Our prof doesn't recommend cutting unless you are naturally borderline. I was 2kg under the middle weight limit. 
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    Unexpectedly got my third stripe tonight so quite pleased about that. 
    Got told I need to believe in myself more when rolling with higher belts as they can see I half arse it but that I’m a demon with the other white belts. 
    Chuffed.com
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    grungebob said:
    Unexpectedly got my third stripe tonight so quite pleased about that. 
    Got told I need to believe in myself more when rolling with higher belts as they can see I half arse it but that I’m a demon with the other white belts. 
    Chuffed.com
    Nice one, well done @grungebob ; 

I think my biggest take away from the competition was to commit to a technique if I go for it, don't go half arsed. Keep going, blue belt on the horizon! 

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    Got my orange belt last week in traditional Jiu Jitsu - going for my Green in mid-November. Going to be tight....!

Also had the class egoist apply a bar choke to me far too quickly last night - something 'popped', and my larynx is VERY painful today - to the point I can't talk.

Idiot.
    FarleyUK said:
    Got my orange belt last week in traditional Jiu Jitsu - going for my Green in mid-November. Going to be tight....!

Also had the class egoist apply a bar choke to me far too quickly last night - something 'popped', and my larynx is VERY painful today - to the point I can't talk.

Idiot.
    That'll go quickly, but the lesson will remain! 

Hope you're not on singing duties any time soon? 
    Fuengi said:
    FarleyUK said:

Idiot.

I am, actually....! Supposed to have another singing lesson on Saturday, and rehearsal Monday night. Or not.
    FarleyUK said:
    Fuengi said:
    FarleyUK said:

Idiot.

I am, actually....! Supposed to have another singing lesson on Saturday, and rehearsal Monday night. Or not.
    That might take a little explaining!

What's the belt system for traditional Jiu Jitsu? How long you been at it? 
    ^ that was going to be my question 
    I think it differs by club, but my club has -

Red, white, yellow, orange, green, blue, purple, brown, black

They estimate a minimum of three years to get 1st Dan. I’ve been doing it about 10 months now, so am ahead of the curve....
    One of Pompey's players turned up.tonight, I rolled with him and did some technique. Not saying who in case he gets into trouble! Think he's going to be coming regularly.

Had a bit week of minor celebs as turned up to do a survey in Holland Park to be greeted by an Historical author and his ballerina wife. Three people with Wikipedia pages in two days! 

Ha ha. How was his cardio?
    grungebob said:
    Ha ha. How was his cardio?
    He did blow a bit when I had him in side control, his legs were good though! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Got my fourth stripe tonight. Sixteen months of blood sweat and persistence! 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well done!
    Well done. I’m 17 months in myself three stripe white. Snapped ligaments in both my thumbs , broken my big toe on my left foot and my little toe on my right foot but it’s a hell of a ride ain’t it!
    grungebob said:
    Well done. I’m 17 months in myself three stripe white. Snapped ligaments in both my thumbs , broken my big toe on my left foot and my little toe on my right foot but it’s a hell of a ride ain’t it!

I've been lucky with injuries so far, especially the past 10 months. 

Fingers are much better than the first 6 months but constantly stiff after rolling.