The FB BJJ / MA Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5418
    edited June 2019
    I agree. I certainly went through a stage where I felt I’d stagnated- partially because I was always rolling with the same group of people (early morning session = less variation). It’s easy to learn a few tricks that work (arm triangle, crucifix & Kimura are mine) and to just hit them ad nauseam. I chatted to the instructor & we started playing games where I HAD to do other things and broaden my game. 

Having said I had little interest in gradings, I started Judo a few months ago... learned the first few throws etc, got injured & came back just after a grading... all “my” cohort of white belts are now red belts & I felt a pang of jealousy, which surprised me. Apparently I WOULD really like to get a coloured belt!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I agree. I certainly went through a stage where I felt I’d stagnated- partially because I was always rolling with the same group of people (early morning session = less variation). It’s easy to learn a few tricks that work (arm triangle, crucifix & Kimura are mine) and to just hit them ad nauseam. I chatted to the instructor & we started playing games where I HAD to do other things and broaden my game. 

Having said I had little interest in gradings, I started Judo a few months ago... learned the first few throws etc, got injured & came back just after a grading... all “my” cohort of white belts are now red belts & I felt a pang of jealousy, which surprised me. Apparently I WOULD really like to get a coloured belt!

So, for BJJ do you just roll in a white belt without any stripes? I bet the new guys get a bit of a shock! 
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5418
    edited June 2019
    Fuengi said:

So, for BJJ do you just roll in a white belt without any stripes? I bet the new guys get a bit of a shock! 
    BJJ- no gi, so no belt. I make a point of chatting to new folk to welcome them to the class & then testing them out rather than charging in with submissions. Against the “regulars” we just go at it. 
    If I attended a Gi class I’d wear a white until the instructor told me otherwise- I’ve never been formally graded. 

At Judo I’m a plain white belt (as I should be)- I have no experience with throwing etc.
     The coaches know about my grappling experience & throw me in against anyone, including black belts at newaza, but I (& the coaches) make a point of saying “don’t go easy on me- I’ve done BJJ before”.
    It’s a well run club so I’ve not encountered any bruised egos seeking revenge after a hard round, quite the opposite- many senior members have sought me out and given me lots of advice after I’ve “proven” myself on the ground with them. 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    edited June 2019
    Quick update on my traditional JJ class; just got the yellow belt, and passed with a score including a merit. Not bad for only doing it since January I think.

Going for Orange in 2 months time, then green, blue, purple, brown and black finally....!

EDIT: On a slightly related note, after that arsehole broke 3 of my ribs in Judo in February, they're still sore and I've noticed the left ribcage is now bigger than the right. Makes groundwork a bit more painful....!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    FarleyUK said:
    Quick update on my traditional JJ class; just got the yellow belt, and passed with a score including a merit. Not bad for only doing it since January I think.

Going for Orange in 2 months time, then green, blue, purple, brown and black finally....!

EDIT: On a slightly related note, after that arsehole broke 3 of my ribs in Judo in February, they're still sore and I've noticed the left ribcage is now bigger than the right. Makes groundwork a bit more painful....!
    Congratulations on the promotion! I’d get those ribs checked. When I broke one and fractured one they were all good to go in about 6 weeks. I was much Younger though so maybe we heal slower as we get erm.... older 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    grungebob said:
    FarleyUK said:

Congratulations on the promotion! I’d get those ribs checked. When I broke one and fractured one they were all good to go in about 6 weeks. I was much Younger though so maybe we heal slower as we get erm.... older 
    Cheeky sod ;)

Yeah, I can feel that they've 'healed' and fused, but I just wonder if the fusing has happened in a weird way. Other difficulty is that the breaks were all at the side, making it hard to x-ray.

And thanks :)
  • snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    Had a junior grading today, first one since I got my judo black belt.

All the kids passed, and passed well.

And I got awarded 2nd dan jujitsu.  Which was nice.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Had a junior grading today, first one since I got my judo black belt.

All the kids passed, and passed well.

And I got awarded 2nd dan jujitsu.  Which was nice.
    That’s quite some day!
    Got my third stripe on my white belt tonight, almost exactly a year to the day since I started BJJ. 

Really enjoying rolling the past few weeks. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Fuengi said:
    Got my third stripe on my white belt tonight, almost exactly a year to the day since I started BJJ. 

Really enjoying rolling the past few weeks. 
    Congratulations, looks like you’re on the fast track to blue. 
    Was promoted to the front row of the line up on Thursday evening, only two blue belts (unusually) than me next in line! Felt weird being one on the most experienced in a class of around 20. 

The drop out rate in BJJ is surprisingly high, even at blue belt. I think a lot of guys want to get to blue and then are satisfied. Anyone else noticed this?

When I got my stripe on Tuesday, my professor gave me a pat on the back and said he had one other guy start this year at my age (49 next week) but he injured himself doing a break fall on his first class. 

At my class there’s one purple two blues and three 3 stripe whites , myself and two other 2 stripes plus some new starters. 
    Even some of the one stripe guys have dropped out recently which I thought weird as they were naturals and got that first stripe real fast. 

Im away with work next week and tried to arrange a drop in class at another academy and they didn’t even bother to respond. 
    grungebob said:
    At my class there’s one purple two blues and three 3 stripe whites , myself and two other 2 stripes plus some new starters. 
    Even some of the one stripe guys have dropped out recently which I thought weird as they were naturals and got that first stripe real fast. 

Im away with work next week and tried to arrange a drop in class at another academy and they didn’t even bother to respond. 
    Where are you working next week? 

Looked at Cambridge in case I can do a drop in class when visiting family, one place had a really good website and encourage drop ins.

We have a couple of black / purple belts that our prof knows who drop in from time to time. Always fun.
    Peterborough for three days of work training, oh the joys of a premier inn ( hence looking for a drop in)
    These guys in Cambridge, not too far.

http://www.axisbjj.co.uk/
    Thanks. Bit too far that an hour each way from where I’m staying. I’ll find something surely 
    grungebob said:
    Thanks. Bit too far that an hour each way from where I’m staying. I’ll find something surely 
    Ah, yes two hours travel for an hour's class is probably counter productive! 
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    Sorry to hijack this thread briefly, but I've been struggling with a rotator cuff injury for the past few months. Any of you got any tips for recovery etc.
    Sorry to hijack this thread briefly, but I've been struggling with a rotator cuff injury for the past few months. Any of you got any tips for recovery etc.
    Yes. There is a brilliant rehab on Yoga for BJJ which got me back on the mats within a fortnight. 

You can sign up free for a period which would mean you can easily complete the rehab course without paying. 

The rehab is not BJJ specific obviously.

https://www.yogaforbjj.net/rehab-for-shoulders/
  • Fuengi said:
    Yes. There is a brilliant rehab on Yoga for BJJ which got me back on the mats within a fortnight. 

You can sign up free for a period which would mean you can easily complete the rehab course without paying. 

The rehab is not BJJ specific obviously.

https://www.yogaforbjj.net/rehab-for-shoulders/
    ^this. 
    I've used it to rehab shoulder, hip & back injuries. I now do at least a short session daily & think it really helps.