The FB BJJ / MA Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    grungebob said:
    I felt real bad for Robbie
    If I'd been the ref though, and seen his arm go limp like it did, I'd have stopped the fight immediately.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    edited March 2019
    RobDavies said:
    grungebob said:
    I felt real bad for Robbie
    If I'd been the ref though, and seen his arm go limp like it did, I'd have stopped the fight immediately.  

Yeah in the moment I’d have made the same choice. It’s a shame in hindsight it might  not have been the right decision. 

The rest of the main card was very meh.
    woodley never showed up and smith just didn’t have a strategy. 

Ill watch the prelims later, hopefully their better. 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I really enjoyed what I've seen from the weekend card, the Lawler slam of Askren was unreal, and for Ben to recover says an awful lot about him. 

• Watching Jonny Bones always makes me think how horrific it must be to fight him- he's good everywhere and doesn't mind HURTING his opponent. 
    Him and Khabib (it'd be like being put through a wood chipper) are the two MMA fighters I'd least like to fight (taking weight out of the equation). I've sparred high level kickboxers & being knocked out isn't fun, but at least it's over quick. Taking an extended beating is awful. 

Who are your pound for pound nightmare opponents? 
    Anyone with a long kicking game or leg kicks. Wonderboy would be horrible, Jose Aldo would just kick the crap out of your legs, and I would not fancy Tony Ferguson's elbows from bottom either. 
  • Fuengi said:
    Anyone with a long kicking game or leg kicks. Wonderboy would be horrible, Jose Aldo would just kick the crap out of your legs, and I would not fancy Tony Ferguson's elbows from bottom either. 
    Ooft yes. I'd forgotten what Aldo did to Faber's leg. It looked like a badly made sausage by the end. 
    http://www.5thround.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/UrijahFaberThigh.jpg
    Good shout on Tony. He’s got an awkward style that also looks pretty punishing. 

To to be honest though I wouldn’t want to go against a trained fighter full stop. We have a guy who trains with us who made his cage warriors debut a few weeks back and his guiloteine is dangerous. 
    grungebob said:
    Good shout on Tony. He’s got an awkward style that also looks pretty punishing. 

To to be honest though I wouldn’t want to go against a trained fighter full stop. We have a guy who trains with us who made his cage warriors debut a few weeks back and his guiloteine is dangerous. 
    Indeed!  

Although I might prefer getting smahed to being finish like this on live TV!

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Fuengi said:
    Ooft yes. I'd forgotten what Aldo did to Faber's leg. It looked like a badly made sausage by the end. 
    http://www.5thround.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/UrijahFaberThigh.jpg
    I had bruising like that once everyone was shocked and though I'd had a motorbike accident but it was a kicky fighter - thing is each kick hurt so little and my leg after hurt so little that I feel those kicks were a total waste of effort, a strongly worded letter would have greater martial effect
  • I thought this might be of interest to folks here: 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I had a guard passing revelation last class and managed to pass almost everyone’s guard immediately, class in an hour let’s see if it was a fluke, fingers crossed it’s not!
  • snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    grungebob said:
    I had a guard passing revelation last class and managed to pass almost everyone’s guard immediately, class in an hour let’s see if it was a fluke, fingers crossed it’s not!
    Was it? And if not what was your trigger?
    Fuengi said:
    grungebob said:
    Was it? And if not what was your trigger?
    Nope. But in fairness I got paired up with a visiting American with 20years college wrestling experience and he whooped my butt , dude was a beast. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Quick update on my training.
    After hurting my knee (turned out to be more serious than first thought- MCL, ACL & meniscus all damaged) I had a break & did physio etc. 
    Got back on the mat late march wearing a big knee brace... Rolling well, enjoying it etc... Only to be told the gym was closing at the end of April. 

Yesterday I went to the last session- a 3hr spar-a-thon. Had a blast and rolled well for almost the whole time (sat out 2 of the 5min rounds).

Sadly I'm not sure what to do next- no BJJ gyms within reasonable cycling distance that have classes I can make it to (work/childcare limit my availability).
    @stimpsonslostson ah man that’s a bummer. Why’s the gym closing, instructors leaving or premises?
    you could always look down the route of a Gracie garage with other members?
  • grungebob said:
    @stimpsonslostson ah man that’s a bummer. Why’s the gym closing, instructors leaving or premises?
    you could always look down the route of a Gracie garage with other members?
    Lease ran out & building is being turned into flats. 
    There is talk of getting a gang together to train, but we'll see what happens. 

Quick update on my training.
    After hurting my knee (turned out to be more serious than first thought- MCL, ACL & meniscus all damaged) I had a break & did physio etc. 
    Got back on the mat late march wearing a big knee brace... Rolling well, enjoying it etc... Only to be told the gym was closing at the end of April. 

Yesterday I went to the last session- a 3hr spar-a-thon. Had a blast and rolled well for almost the whole time (sat out 2 of the 5min rounds).

Sadly I'm not sure what to do next- no BJJ gyms within reasonable cycling distance that have classes I can make it to (work/childcare limit my availability).
    That's a damn shame. Generally BJJ is on the up, our class is growing month on month - but we only have one permanent instructor so if he went we'd be screwed. 

Hope you find something else that fills the void, the Gracie garage idea isn't a bad one. 
    So last practice I tapped out my instructor via kimura. I’ve got a feeling tonight he’s going to teach me a lesson. 
    grungebob said:
    So last practice I tapped out my instructor via kimura. I’ve got a feeling tonight he’s going to teach me a lesson. 
    Holy shit! Best of luck for next time (and well done). I rolled with my instructor this week and he was 'testing my defence'. He got me in some sort of elbow punch choke that felt like my neck and jaw were being crushed in a vice. It's ridiculous, no human should be able to do that.

I rolled with a guy last night who has just joined, he's 28, so 20 years younger than me, fit and strong and had done a little bit before. He just doninated a new white belt the roll before and clearly fancied his chances with me. I pulled guard, swept him and tapped him out with a Kimura in about 10 seconds. The look on his face was wonderful. We had a decent roll once he'd put aside his hubris.