Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why do so few 'big name' bands/artists use PRS?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72550
    Bigsby said:

So why should PRS owners have to 'laugh it off', again and again and again and again and again, years after the joke got old, when other guitar owners don't get this crap? Why are a small number of non-PRS owners clinging onto this tired old joke anyway?
    Like I said, I used PRS exclusively with my band for more than five years, and I owned five of them in total. I find the dentist references mildly funny and not in any way offensive, and I politely suggest that if you're bothered by it then you're taking it rather too seriously.

Personally I was very happy to use PRS, and would be again if my musical direction changed back to them being the most suitable guitars, but I would not be seen dead with a Collings, Anderson, Knaggs, Huber, or probably even a Suhr.

Just personal taste, not snobbery. I now use Rickenbackers, and my favourite one is actually significantly more expensive than any PRS I owned.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • This thread is pure gold, tFB has turned into a British TGP.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • gibsongretschfangibsongretschfan Frets: 1050
    edited January 2019
    wellsyboy said:
    There are a lot of ignorant comments on here about dentists and furniture guitars blah blah blah - pisses me off every time - if someone works hard and wants to indulge themselves why not! The green monster is alive and well on fretboard. NO I am not a dentist but I don't see what that has to do with it. That said -  I have had loads of different guitars over the years Fenders, Gibsons, Tom Andersons, Collings and PRS's. The PRS's include an old PRS Standard (bought new in 1989/90) , a 513 brazilian, swamp ash studio, hollowbody 2, a signature 408. I never bonded with those PRS's and all of my guitars have been moved on to at some stage fund further purchases. The Collings have mostly endured - I have def bonded with them but I will move one or two of those eventually because I am getting to the point where I cannot justify keeping them as I am not playing as much these days and haven't gigged for several years now. The two PRS's I did bond with were a DGT which I still regret selling (couldn't get on with the control layout), and a 594 which I still have. I think these 2 are brilliant guitars especially the 594 - I LOVE the neck and the pickups are great - the control setup is more classic and so suits me well - I think it is a fantastic guitar and hope that it stays with me for a long time. Pojnt is - I like playing it. If I made it big and was a touring or session player I would use it. I think that a player either bonds with an instrument or doesn't. That goes for any instrument. Don't take this the wrong way but the big name bands and artists are in the minority when it comes to guitar players. How many guitar players are there in the world? and how many guitars? Also don't forget the guitar companies are all competing with one another and I don't see anything wrong with making beautiful instruments in order to sell guitars. The fact that they are superbly made and wonderfully playable should not come in for criticism and is obviously why the company is doing so well. FFS stop knocking PRS!!!!! They make great guitars and are innovative - the likes of Fender and Gibson IMHO are behind in that regard and to a point survive on their names. Rant over.
    "Works hard"... that old myth 

if hard work made you rich then our mining towns would be full of third generation millionaires and not down and out heroin addicts
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1653
    edited January 2019
    Iamnobody said:
    Dan_Halen said:
    You just need to count the number of childish dentist references in this thread alone to see why people get so fed up with it.

Come on the guitar forum to talk about guitars... unless you happen to own a PRS in which case it's fair game for everyone to take the piss out of you. A bit of 'banter' wears thin when it's utterly relentless.

Own a blingy Tom Anderson, Knaggs, horrendous CS masterbuilt heavy relic which cost you 5 grand and it's a 'players' guitar, everyone slaps you on the back, job well done. Happen to buy a PRS and for some reason everyone then feels entitled to make assertions about your bank balance, tell you how ugly it is, how horrendous the headstock looks, how they hate the blingy tops and how they wouldn't be seen dead playing one. 

I have one but don't expect everyone to like them. However, it doesn't mean I'm happy for everyone to feel they can tell me how much they hate them. That's just fucking rude.
    In your PRS fan boy rant clouded by red mist you probably don’t even realise what you’ve done - but I’m pretty sure calling a guitar horrendous is the same as someone hating one?

I love this thread it keeps on giving...
    And there we have it. Jokes about PRS okay. Dare to question another brand and you get called out on it. Congrats on proving the point for me and cheers for chiming in.

Also, r.e. your daft 'fan boy' comment, I own 2 Gibsons, 6 Fenders and only 1 PRS. Not sure if that makes me a PRS fan boy or not..... Happy to bow to your superior knowledge on childish internet insults though as the red-mist rage descending is getting the better of me :-D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6907
    Dan_Halen said:
    Iamnobody said:
    Dan_Halen said:
    You just need to count the number of childish dentist references in this thread alone to see why people get so fed up with it.

Come on the guitar forum to talk about guitars... unless you happen to own a PRS in which case it's fair game for everyone to take the piss out of you. A bit of 'banter' wears thin when it's utterly relentless.

Own a blingy Tom Anderson, Knaggs, horrendous CS masterbuilt heavy relic which cost you 5 grand and it's a 'players' guitar, everyone slaps you on the back, job well done. Happen to buy a PRS and for some reason everyone then feels entitled to make assertions about your bank balance, tell you how ugly it is, how horrendous the headstock looks, how they hate the blingy tops and how they wouldn't be seen dead playing one. 

I have one but don't expect everyone to like them. However, it doesn't mean I'm happy for everyone to feel they can tell me how much they hate them. That's just fucking rude.
    In your PRS fan boy rant clouded by red mist you probably don’t even realise what you’ve done - but I’m pretty sure calling a guitar horrendous is the same as someone hating one?

And there we have it. Jokes about PRS okay. Dare to question another brand and you get called out on it. Congrats on proving the point for me and cheers for chiming in.

Also, r.e. your daft 'fan boy' comment, I own 2 Gibsons, 6 Fenders and only 1 PRS. Not sure if that makes me a PRS fan boy or not..... Happy to bow to your superior knowledge on childish internet insults though as the red-mist rage descending is getting the better of me :-D
    You’ve completely missed my point. You make a post being all hurt about people on the internet hating your guitar and then make a similar comment about the guitars you dislike? Surely you see the irony in that?

For the record I dislike most PRS, most relics and the other brands you mentioned. I’ve quite a traditional taste in guitars. 

But equally I wouldn’t get so upset and sensitive if someone else made a joke about one of my guitars I owned. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2962
    ICBM said:
    Bigsby said:

So why should PRS owners have to 'laugh it off', again and again and again and again and again, years after the joke got old, when other guitar owners don't get this crap? Why are a small number of non-PRS owners clinging onto this tired old joke anyway?
    Like I said, I used PRS exclusively with my band for more than five years, and I owned five of them in total. I find the dentist references mildly funny and not in any way offensive, and I politely suggest that if you're bothered by it then you're taking it rather too seriously.

Firstly, that's great for you. Really. But I'm sure you realise not everyone in the world is the same as you. An extreme example; some women are literally delighted to wear a burkha every time they leave home, whilst others are suffering because they have to. The burkhas are the same, but the experience of them is totally different, for different people. Just from this thread it's obvious that not every PRS owner finds the dentist jibes 'mildly funny' - even though it's great that you do - and there's no particular reason why they should be expected to. (Unless you hold the belief that everyone in the world should be more like you). Especially as other guitarists don't have to contend with similar insults, just because of the brand they've bought. 

And yes, such comments have the quality of an insult - in effect saying 'real guitarists' don't buy PRS, only wealthy dentists do'. Of course this is total bollocks - you only have to look at the artists endorsing PRS to know that's not true - but it's the message contained within the 'dentist' jibes. 

Secondly, I'm not bothered. Do you have to be bothered by something to post here? (FWIW, I once owned a PRS SE for about 10 months). Rather than being bothered, I'm curious: Why do people expect PRS owners to keep 'laughing off' such old jokes, when the jokers themselves are not subjected to such taunts at every turn? 
  • Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 258
    edited January 2019
    ICBM said:
    Bigsby said:

Personally I was very happy to use PRS, and would be again if my musical direction changed back to them being the most suitable guitars, but I would not be seen dead with a Collings, Anderson, Knaggs, Huber, or probably even a Suhr.

Just personal taste, not snobbery. I now use Rickenbackers, and my favourite one is actually significantly more expensive than any PRS I owned.
    Rickenbackers - hurray!

i guess my love of Rickenbacker 6 and 12 strings makes me a lanky fop with pudding bowl hair, little glasses and Chelsea boots, doesn't it? 

Oh hang on a minute.....

• Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1653
    Iamnobody said:
    Dan_Halen said:
    Iamnobody said:
    Dan_Halen said:

You’ve completely missed my point. You make a post being all hurt about people on the internet hating your guitar and then make a similar comment about the guitars you dislike? Surely you see the irony in that?

For the record I dislike most PRS, most relics and the other brands you mentioned. I’ve quite a traditional taste in guitars. 

But equally I wouldn’t get so upset and sensitive if someone else made a joke about one of my guitars I owned. 
    I don't see my irony, I see your pedantry - I was illustrating a point. You must have realised unless being deliberately obstinate / just desperate to reply with a dig. If I hate Fender as you seem to think you know I do (??? or something) then I should really have a word with myself. Or at least stop buying them.

BTW, I didn't say I dislike Anderson or Knaggs or CS Fender stuff - the point, which you clearly missed, was that similarly high-end blingy guitars seem to get off the hook when the Bantz Bus rolls into town.

Also this ludicrous idea that we're all upset and crying into our nurses laps because the mean man made a joke about our beloved PRS - give it a rest. It gets on my tits a bit, hence me posting a couple of replies here, but I'm not losing any sleep over it. Thanks for the concern though :-)

Just as people feel entitled to take the piss and do (again, and again), I feel entitled every now and again to tell them they're a. not funny and b. their jokes are getting have gotten old. Shame the people making the jokes demand that you find it funny because, should you suggest it's not, they lose their sh*t.

That's irony for you.
    No one calls Gibson owners dentists and there is no trope because that jibe is aimed purely at PRS owners because they can't take a fricking joke, unlike Gibson owners who don't give a f**k. It's about time PRS owners downed their prescription of 20000mg of Growacette and laughed it off, 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    Christ this is boring.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6907
    edited January 2019
    Dan_Halen said:
    Iamnobody said:
    Dan_Halen said:
    Iamnobody said:
    Dan_Halen said:

I don't see my irony, I see your pedantry - I was illustrating a point. You must have realised unless being deliberately obstinate / just desperate to reply with a dig. If I hate Fender as you seem to think you know I do (??? or something) then I should really have a word with myself. Or at least stop buying them.

BTW, I didn't say I dislike Anderson or Knaggs or CS Fender stuff - the point, which you clearly missed, was that similarly high-end blingy guitars seem to get off the hook when the Bantz Bus rolls into town.

Also this ludicrous idea that we're all upset and crying into our nurses laps because the mean man made a joke about our beloved PRS - give it a rest. It gets on my tits a bit, hence me posting a couple of replies here, but I'm not losing any sleep over it. Thanks for the concern though :-)

Just as people feel entitled to take the piss and do (again, and again), I feel entitled every now and again to tell them they're a. not funny and b. their jokes are getting have gotten old. Shame the people making the jokes demand that you find it funny because, should you suggest it's not, they lose their sh*t.

That's irony for you.
    No one calls Gibson owners dentists and there is no trope because that jibe is aimed purely at PRS owners because they can't take a fricking joke, unlike Gibson owners who don't give a f**k. It's about time PRS owners downed their prescription of 20000mg of Growacette and laughed it off, 
    Ok. At least we’ve got to the root of the problem. My apologies I didn’t mean to hit a nerve...
    Previously known as stevebrum
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4869
    edited January 2019
    A dental/tooth nerve?

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bigsby said:
    Boromedic said:
    Bigsby said:
    Boromedic said:
    Some people talk tosh in here, Gibson get more hate than any other brand on this forum of the higher price guitars anyway, throw some banter about PRS and then the dentures dummies come out.

Really? I read the unending R8 thread for a few weeks - just for as long as it remained entertaining - and I don't recall anyone getting called a dentist for spending daft amounts of money on a repro-Les Paul. Quite the opposite, the thread was full of back slapping and encouragement to go and buy another one... The 'Gibson hate' I see is aimed at mocking Henry J, G-force tuners, QC, etc., not the guitars, or people who buy them. 

What is the Gibson equivalent of the PRS/dentist trope? I can't say I've noticed one.

For me, as someone who's not a PRS fan, the problem with the 'dentist' jibes is not so much that they're mocking, more that they've become boring; all to often people use it without a trace of humour.
    Well then you clearly didn't read the thread properly then did you? There was a number of shitty comments aimed at people along the lines of you're wasting your money on a repro Les Paul (as you put it), why not buy a ......... insert whatever brand you see fit cos they're better. Along with other sly digs. There was also comments as you say aimed at Gibsons QC, Henry, and all the other stuff like there always is whenever it's mentioned. No one calls Gibson owners dentists and there is no trope because that jibe is aimed purely at PRS owners because they can't take a fricking joke, unlike Gibson owners who don't give a f**k.. 

It's about time PRS owners downed their prescription of 20000mg of Growacette and laughed it off, 
    I did say I only read the R8 thread for as long as it was entertaining - during the feeding frenzy. Once it started filling with photos of R8s there was nothing in it to interest me. When reading it, there were very few negative comments at all (of course, there were some - it's a guitar forum after all), but there was no equivalent to the dentist jibes - and we seem to agree that there isn't one. As such, Gibson owners don't have to give a f**k - which is just as well given Gibson's reputation for QC. (Note - even that is still a dig at Gibson, not the owners).

Actually there is an equivalent jibe with regards Gibson guitars. The persistent idea that if I dare take my Les Pauls out of their cases and breathe on them, the headstock will detach faster than a hookers pants when money is waved at them, the strings will unleash themselves in the process and lacerate my carotid artery, and the explosion of wood splinters will cause untold agony whilst I lie there in a pool of blood dying, cursing the fragility of my poor poor choice and taste in guitars.

See? It's all the same really, I couldn't care less I don't like PRS guitars particularly, except the DGT with moons and I never call anyone a dentist who plays one, but I do find it humorous that people get offended by it, sorry I may be a child but I can't help it. Growing up where I did, if you couldn't take the joke, you would continue to hear it till the end of your days. The PRS dentist thing persists for the same reasons.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11958
    Not sure where the bank balance comments come from when there's quite a healthy thread on here about the Peach R8s where it seems to be enthusiastically accepted that 2.5k is cheap as chips. Plenty of money sloshing around amongst Gibson fans apparently! No dentist comments on that thread.
    LPs look very old fashioned really, very derivative of 1950s Jazz box styling
    Yet as you say, people think it's normal to spend that kind of cash on them, and some of them are quite showy bits of wood and paint jobs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    wellsyboy said:
    There are a lot of ignorant comments on here about dentists and furniture guitars blah blah blah - pisses me off every time - if someone works hard and wants to indulge themselves why not! The green monster is alive and well on fretboard. NO I am not a dentist but I don't see what that has to do with it. That said -  I have had loads of different guitars over the years Fenders, Gibsons, Tom Andersons, Collings and PRS's. The PRS's include an old PRS Standard (bought new in 1989/90) , a 513 brazilian, swamp ash studio, hollowbody 2, a signature 408. I never bonded with those PRS's and all of my guitars have been moved on to at some stage fund further purchases. The Collings have mostly endured - I have def bonded with them but I will move one or two of those eventually because I am getting to the point where I cannot justify keeping them as I am not playing as much these days and haven't gigged for several years now. The two PRS's I did bond with were a DGT which I still regret selling (couldn't get on with the control layout), and a 594 which I still have. I think these 2 are brilliant guitars especially the 594 - I LOVE the neck and the pickups are great - the control setup is more classic and so suits me well - I think it is a fantastic guitar and hope that it stays with me for a long time. Pojnt is - I like playing it. If I made it big and was a touring or session player I would use it. I think that a player either bonds with an instrument or doesn't. That goes for any instrument. Don't take this the wrong way but the big name bands and artists are in the minority when it comes to guitar players. How many guitar players are there in the world? and how many guitars? Also don't forget the guitar companies are all competing with one another and I don't see anything wrong with making beautiful instruments in order to sell guitars. The fact that they are superbly made and wonderfully playable should not come in for criticism and is obviously why the company is doing so well. FFS stop knocking PRS!!!!! They make great guitars and are innovative - the likes of Fender and Gibson IMHO are behind in that regard and to a point survive on their names. Rant over.
    "Works hard"... that old myth 

if hard work made you rich then our mining towns would be full of third generation millionaires and not down and out heroin addicts
    Great post
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2962
    Boromedic said:
    Bigsby said:
    Boromedic said:
    Bigsby said:
    Boromedic said:
    Some people talk tosh in here, Gibson get more hate than any other brand on this forum of the higher price guitars anyway, throw some banter about PRS and then the dentures dummies come out.

Really? I read the unending R8 thread for a few weeks - just for as long as it remained entertaining - and I don't recall anyone getting called a dentist for spending daft amounts of money on a repro-Les Paul. Quite the opposite, the thread was full of back slapping and encouragement to go and buy another one... The 'Gibson hate' I see is aimed at mocking Henry J, G-force tuners, QC, etc., not the guitars, or people who buy them. 

What is the Gibson equivalent of the PRS/dentist trope? I can't say I've noticed one.

For me, as someone who's not a PRS fan, the problem with the 'dentist' jibes is not so much that they're mocking, more that they've become boring; all to often people use it without a trace of humour.
    Well then you clearly didn't read the thread properly then did you? There was a number of shitty comments aimed at people along the lines of you're wasting your money on a repro Les Paul (as you put it), why not buy a ......... insert whatever brand you see fit cos they're better. Along with other sly digs. There was also comments as you say aimed at Gibsons QC, Henry, and all the other stuff like there always is whenever it's mentioned. No one calls Gibson owners dentists and there is no trope because that jibe is aimed purely at PRS owners because they can't take a fricking joke, unlike Gibson owners who don't give a f**k.. 

It's about time PRS owners downed their prescription of 20000mg of Growacette and laughed it off, 
    I did say I only read the R8 thread for as long as it was entertaining - during the feeding frenzy. Once it started filling with photos of R8s there was nothing in it to interest me. When reading it, there were very few negative comments at all (of course, there were some - it's a guitar forum after all), but there was no equivalent to the dentist jibes - and we seem to agree that there isn't one. As such, Gibson owners don't have to give a f**k - which is just as well given Gibson's reputation for QC. (Note - even that is still a dig at Gibson, not the owners).

Actually there is an equivalent jibe with regards Gibson guitars. The persistent idea that if I dare take my Les Pauls out of their cases and breathe on them, the headstock will detach faster than a hookers pants when money is waved at them, the strings will unleash themselves in the process and lacerate my carotid artery, and the explosion of wood splinters will cause untold agony whilst I lie there in a pool of blood dying, cursing the fragility of my poor poor choice and taste in guitars.

See? It's all the same really, I couldn't care less I don't like PRS guitars particularly, except the DGT with moons and I never call anyone a dentist who plays one, but I do find it humorous that people get offended by it, sorry I may be a child but I can't help it. Growing up where I did, if you couldn't take the joke, you would continue to hear it till the end of your days. The PRS dentist thing persists for the same reasons.  
    Once again - the jibe is at the guitar, not the owner. Now, you might take it as a dig at the owner, i.e. you're a dickhead for buying a guitar with a design/construction flaw (which is all this is), but can't you see that's not the same as making a jibe about the owner of the guitar? 

So, there is still no equivalent to the dentist joke for other brands... And once again, I'm not offended - I don't own a PRS. 

FWIW, deliberately seeking to upset someone until they die just sounds like bullying to me. I can't see why you'd do it if you're not a bully at heart - what is there to gain from relentlessly upsetting people, just because they have different taste to you?
    Fair enough, lets just leave it there tbh as neither of us has a stake in the game do we not owning a PRS? I don't think I'd class it as bullying, it's just a crack as far as I'm concerned but you had to have a thick skin growing up around the people I did. Plus thats just a bigger can of worms really. 

All the best.

• Not sure where the bank balance comments come from when there's quite a healthy thread on here about the Peach R8s where it seems to be enthusiastically accepted that 2.5k is cheap as chips. Plenty of money sloshing around amongst Gibson fans apparently! No dentist comments on that thread.
    LPs look very old fashioned really, very derivative of 1950s Jazz box styling
    Yet as you say, people think it's normal to spend that kind of cash on them, and some of them are quite showy bits of wood and paint jobs
    Yeah, there's plenty of bling available in the LP line, that's for sure. Don't get me wrong - I'm not knocking LPs...I have a LP Std and those guitars have a sound that you just don't get with any other. I struggle with the geometry of them a bit but recently I have deliberately been exclusively playing my LP and as a result I have been getting into it and appreciating the particular thing is has going on. I find I play differently with the LP - play things I wouldn't normally, do vibrato differently...things like that. It's super cool and you can't argue with the tones. :)

I really couldn't spend over £2K on one though...or any guitar for that matter. That's getting on for car money, in my book. :)
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    I have absolutely no idea why, but I've never been a fan of PRS..
    I'm sure they are superb instruments.. I just never liked the look of them..
    I always thought they look a bit fem..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Some people (myself included) just like traditional looking instruments. Not every violinist would want a blingy solid body electric violin
  • To be fair they have plenty of non blingy options these days. Some of the solid colour models look quite smart I think