Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Discussion Thread for "Rate My Guitar"

What's Hot

Comments

• FatPeteFatPete Frets: 683
    Philly_Q said:
    FatPete said:
    ICBM said:
    @FatPete - what are those? The space-age Swinger ones are very cool although not for me, but the red thinline Tele thing is amazing.

I Googled ‘Scimitar guitar’ but nothing relevant came up...
    Ta! They're all Warmoth partscasters.
    They're fantastic.  I love your pickup choices (although I've no idea what they are, apart from the Lace) and the scratchplates are amazing, how did you make those?
    Ta again. Pickups are Catswhisker and Creamery (and the Alumitone's been swapped out for an EMG (shock, horror etc.) as I didn't get on with it). The scratchplates on the Scimitar 6 were printed and cut by Tim at https://www.originalscratchplates.com/ from my designs.
    Trading feedback: Trading feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've also voted purely on the aesthetics of the guitars. This might help explain why, for instance, I have given the thumbs up to a few Les Pauls, whereas for most of them I've clicked the lol button. I just have very specific tastes when it comes to LPs, so if yours has a gloriously flamed top and a bright sunburst finish, it ain't for me. I've even given the thumbs up to a couple of Strats, despite not usually liking them at all.

I guess I've tried to be as honest as I can about what I think constitutes a good-looking guitar and have tried to leave any brand/model preconceptions at the door.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3472
    edited December 2018
    Hattigol said:
    Octafish said:
    Hattigol said:
    Octafish said:
    Tenebrous said:
    This guitar that @not_the_dj posted is an absolute gorgeous guitar to me. I'm typically not a fan of LPs, or that colour, but all things considered, I think it's the best looking guitar in the thread so far.

I was ready to wow that, then I noticed the F-holes s
    Have you played one?
    No, why?
    I think you have answered your own question.
    Could it be, that like you and PRS...he just thinks that it looks shit and is the antithesis of cool?

(Not my opinion at all, btw)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Nice to see my guitar getting some attention in this thread.

I thought a Les Paul with F holes and a Bigsby would be a talking point!
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Nice to see my guitar getting some attention in this thread.

I thought a Les Paul with F holes and a Bigsby would be a talking point!
    I don't like les pauls, flamed tops, bigsbys or upside down guitars in pictures, but it is really really pretty.. 
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    edited December 2018
    Hattigol said:
    Octafish said:
    Hattigol said:
    Octafish said:
    Tenebrous said:
    This guitar that @not_the_dj posted is an absolute gorgeous guitar to me. I'm typically not a fan of LPs, or that colour, but all things considered, I think it's the best looking guitar in the thread so far.

I was ready to wow that, then I noticed the F-holes s
    Have you played one?
    No, why?
    What! lol It's based purely on aesthestics (as is the whole point of the thread) and my personal taste, no reflection on how good/bad the guitar plays/is in the flesh. I did try to download to try out, bit no workey.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Hattigol said:
    Octafish said:
    Hattigol said:
    Octafish said:
    Tenebrous said:

I was ready to wow that, then I noticed the F-holes :s
    Have you played one?
    No, why?
    Could it be, that like you and PRS...he just thinks that it looks shit and is the antithesis of cool?
    Is that directed at Hattigol? Please don't associate me PRS aesthetics =). Personally I think it would like great without the F-holes.

• Octafish said:
    Hattigol said:
    Octafish said:
    Hattigol said:
    Octafish said:
    Tenebrous said:

Have you played one?
    No, why?
    Is that directed at Hattigol? Please don't associate me PRS aesthetics =). Personally I think it would like great without the F-holes.
    Referring to something @Hattigol mentioned in another thread.

Octafish said:
    Hattigol said:
    Octafish said:
    Hattigol said:
    Octafish said:
    Tenebrous said:

Have you played one?
    No, why?
    Referring to something @Hattigol mentioned in another thread.
    Ah, no worries, all harmless fun, although I get the impression some may taking the whole thread far more seriously than was intended ;)
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Fair point, each to their own with aesthetics. If people don't like the look, that's fine. But they are awesome guitars. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • Hattigol said:
    Fair point, each to their own with aesthetics. If people don't like the look, that's fine. But they are awesome guitars. 
    Which is the point many are making on the PRS thread. How come it's right for one guitar but not another?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Hattigol said:
    Which is the point many are making on the PRS thread. How come it's right for one guitar but not another?
    Let's not start the whole thing up again here?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • Hattigol said:
    Hattigol said:
    Let's not start the whole thing up again here?
    Sensible indeed mate. I'm not looking for a fight whatsoever and respect your views completely, just a little confused by your thought process on one guitar and not another.

• Fretwired said:
    BTW, you're fucked if I'm going through that lot to find the top 5 and bottom 5!

All I know is that my old blue Les Paul is sitting bottom of the pile of most hated!
    I think my Framus Jan Akkerman is at the bottom .... :-)
    You got a link to that post @Fretwired?

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Fretwired said:
    BTW, you're fucked if I'm going through that lot to find the top 5 and bottom 5!

All I know is that my old blue Les Paul is sitting bottom of the pile of most hated!
    I think my Framus Jan Akkerman is at the bottom .... :-)
    You got a link to that post @Fretwired?

Fifth guitar down.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2959
    I've been giving Wows to anything I'd want to own, play, or if I find something attractive about it, like a really cool colour.
    I've LOL'd anything I wouldn't want in my home (based on looks alone, not because I'm completely shallow, but because that's all you get from a photo!).
    Much of the time I've given neither, reflecting my lack of any strong feeling either way. There seems no point in forcing a choice here, as it won't reflect how I really feel. 

So, for example, I've never been interested in Telecasters, except very occasionally, when I've forgotten to take my meds. So most Teles got neither a Lol nor Wow. But what I like about the look of a Tele is the way the scratch plate and controls work with the shape, so anything with a less attractive scratch plate design got a LoL. But then, a couple of Teles actually inspired me to give a Wow. Which make me wonder if I took my meds this morning... 

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5389
    My take away from this is that some of you have far too many guitars ...

;)
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    Snags said:
    My take away from this is that some of you have far too many guitars ...

;)
    Impossible.  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12410
    I didn't lol anything just wowed what I like I'm not into pointy but otherwise I'd play anything.  Guitar most likely to make me pee myself if given the chance to borrow it (hint, hint) is @GavRichList jaguar on the first page, I'm in love!
  • munckee said:
    I didn't lol anything just wowed what I like I'm not into pointy but otherwise I'd play anything.  Guitar most likely to make me pee myself if given the chance to borrow it (hint, hint) is @GavRichList jaguar on the first page, I'm in love!
    Ha! Nice to know!