Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Mick's Strat Journey

What's Hot
This is one of the more interesting TPS shows I've seen. Will be interesting watching and hearing the changes to his blue Strat as he upgrades it. 

I couldn't really hear much difference in the 4 Strats he played through, the real influence on preference would have been the feel of them in the hand for me. As for the vintage Strats he tried, one had a horribly low cut nut on the low E and rattled badly.

I'm non sure that modding his blue Strat is going to cure his desire for a vintage Strat though!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yes - very interesting. Blue is the best Strat he has because of his psychological attachment to it - not because it’s the ‘best’ Strat he has imho. You can see it when he plays the guitar..

As for the vintage stuff I wasn’t impress tbh.

Si
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33850
    Thanks for posting- about 10 mins in now.
    PRS SS doesn't sound too bad although it is a visual abomination.

I liked the blue one the best thus far but I think it is because it is the one he likes to play the most and that comes through.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    The headstock on that gold one.....

I liked that vid. Interesting to hear him be really honest about what he wants from a guitar and how much of that is aesthetic. Sound wise I would struggle to tell them apart if blind folded 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Yeah love the way he’s unapologetic about the fine-Geekery of it all. The polar opposite to the “no one cares down the dog and duck so what’s the point” attitude.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4208
    Those 60’s Strats were a league apart, amazing instruments and you could see the grin :)
  • randellarandella Frets: 4306
    octatonic said:
    The PRS SS is yet another instrument from that company that leaves me utterly cold.  I can't work out what the hell it is, really - they make guitars that, on paper at least, I should absolutely love.

I'll watch this later.  I like some Strat geekery.
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1102
    I also thought the vintage Strats sounded ace! Nice to see when people absolutely buzz over a guitar and especially someone who has I'm presuming played a lot more guitars than most of us.

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5187
    edited December 2018
    I also love his un-ashamed geekery... Maybe it’s my cloth ears but all of the Strats even the 60’s originals all sound similar ish.... So similar in fact that I think it’s just the fact of actually owning a vintage one that makes it a pleasure....and not that it sounds massively better...I’ve not played a vintage one, so I may be talking crap again 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2018
    randella said:
    octatonic said:
    The PRS SS is yet another instrument from that company that leaves me utterly cold.  I can't work out what the hell it is, really - they make guitars that, on paper at least, I should absolutely love.

I love my PRS SC58- I'm not slighting the brand, just that model.
    It is relentlessly and unforgivably hideous.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4306
    edited December 2018
    octatonic said:
    randella said:
    octatonic said:

I love my PRS SC58- I'm not slighting the brand, just that model.
    It is relentlessly and unforgivably hideous.
    Hahaha!  I didn't think you were slighting the brand - it's just me.  I'm starting to think there's something wrong with me - PRS make guitars that I should be falling over myself to get hold of and I just don't feel anything.  The SS is a case in point.  I don't even dislike the headstock that much

Anyway, I like Mick's playing and that blue Strat of his so this should be interesting.
  • I watched this and I have to admit, I heard slight difference in each one...a couple of times I also couldn't. I think it's interesting to see someone try to do something to scratch the itch that we all have with regards to our guitars
  • Interesting vid, thanks for posting.  
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3301
    tFB Trader
    i liked this vid too and I'm not a real strat person, i completely understand the small details that bug him, I'm the same with les pauls 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • onyironyir Frets: 46
    I struggled quite a bit to hear the differences between the guitars in the video, but there's a cut of it on Instagram with the guitars back to back where is a lot easier to perceive differences. It goes to show you how quickly one forgets a sound.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14592
    The bit about the scratchplate "sitting to the left" on the upper bout cutaway might be explained by the fact that the celluloid WBW scratchplate material is notorious for shrinking - of itself and with respect to the metal shielding plate beneath. 

In my opinion, if Mick were less obsessed about trying to emulate John Mayer, Eric Johnson and Stevie Ray Vaughan, he might be a happier bunny.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
    I have butyl pickup surrounds for my LP Replica as per the original, lovely things but don't sniff the bag, those of us used to the smell of baby sick will get a vivid flashback ;)
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6860
    Though his blue strat sounded best near enough every time. Would love to have heard that fiesta red '62 recorded properly because even with shitty audio it sounded great. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    soma1975 said:
    Though his blue strat sounded best near enough every time. Would love to have heard that fiesta red '62 recorded properly because even with shitty audio it sounded great. 
    Both of those 60's Strats sounded wonderful, "proper Strat" tone

• teradaterada Frets: 5114
    edited December 2018
    For the life of me I can't tell why, but while I like watching Dan, Mick really gets on my nerves. What the hell is that about?

Still hope he finds what he wants though
    terada said:
    For the life of me I can't tell why, but while I like watching Dan, Mick really gets on my nerves. What the hell is that about?

Still hope he finds what he wants though
    Not sexy enough?
    Too sexy?

It is probably down to sexiness.
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom