Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Mick's Strat Journey

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Mick, life is short and we're all worm-food soon enough.

Save up and buy the vintage Strat you really want. Then relax and be happy with it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1349
    edited December 2018
    Like others I've watched all the shows, bought the T shirts and I give them a few quid via Patreon. It's my choice and I'm happy to do so...

Why do I do it? I've learned some stuff along the way but most of all it's because they make me laugh and to a large extent seem to react/feel the same way I do about the whole guitar/tone thing. It's like hanging with a couple of mates who share the same passion; sadly something I don't get to do in person as they seem to be a bit thin on the ground in my physical world.

As for the commercial thing, that's life. The only show I've ever felt somewhat uncomfortable with was the T-Rex one with Michael Pagaard. Plainly a 'salesman' who just couldn't help but be himself. Even Dan/Mick started to look somewhat uncomfortable as he was blurting about the Denmark pedals being better etc whilst trying not to dis the China made stuff. 

Each to their own but I look forward to watching them.

My favourite online pedal content would have to be Josh @ JHS - that guy knows how to stick a show together and I defo share his sense of humour

Si
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1654
    edited December 2018
    I support them! I subscribe, I bought Tee shirts, attended the TPS Live, bought pedals., I really like most of their shows. I am in no way jealous of them. I am not critsizing them, , I am sympathetic to their cause and also how difficult it must be to come up with consistently entertaining as well as informative material. I'm glad they are making a living doing what they like. I am not forced to watch and am aware of that, move on if its not my thing. That does not mean I am not entitled to an opinion! The same as you. If you disagree fair enough, That's life!

My only dislike is the Anderton thing.
    Nice of you to go to the trouble of creating an account just to slag off Andertons. Seems a bit odd, especially given how much you seem to like TPS which are part of this apparent 'clique' you seem so against.

Maybe make your mind up who you like and who you don't before you create your next troll account?  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Need a lie down after reading this thread. Happy New Year everyone :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559

Dan_Halen said:
    Nice of you to go to the trouble of creating an account just to slag off Andertons. Seems a bit odd, especially given how much you seem to like TPS which are part of this apparent 'clique' you seem so against.

Maybe make your mind up who you like and who you don't before you create your next troll account?
    Funny isn't it? Kluson joined at 9.41 and was slating Andertons by 10.21! If it isn't a shill account set up for that purpose you'd think there might be better ways of participating in the forum!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    munckee said:
    pmg said:
    I found this mind numblingly boring and turned it off part way through
    To be fair I have never got through a whole pedal show episiode I'm not into any specific pedal question enough for and hour and a half of it.

Haven't watched this one yet but agree with much of the consensus that Mick is preferable to Dan to watch, although often Mick is reacting to Dan's knowledge so they probably need both.
    indeed - if you just edited out every "Awesome" exclamation from Dan you'd save at least 10 mins
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I support them! I subscribe, I bought Tee shirts, attended the TPS Live, bought pedals., I really like most of their shows. I am in no way jealous of them. I am not critsizing them, , I am sympathetic to their cause and also how difficult it must be to come up with consistently entertaining as well as informative material. I'm glad they are making a living doing what they like. I am not forced to watch and am aware of that, move on if its not my thing. That does not mean I am not entitled to an opinion! The same as you. If you disagree fair enough, That's life!

My only dislike is the Anderton thing.

Maybe make your mind up who you like and who you don't before you create your next troll account?  ;)

Good God Man , calm down with your accusations! I was just sharing an opinion, which is clearly different from yours. Good, that's how forums work. Everyone has an opinion which is then shared. I didn't realise that the only way was your way,  very sorry.  My experience of Andertons has been rather poor, Yours is clearly wonderful. My only point was that it was noticeable how much of this you tube content is being dominated by a few heavily commercial enterprises.

You will go through life and find that not everyone agrees with you, that is fine and understandable, there is no need to take it to a personal level!

Have a happy New Year!

fftc said:

Dan_Halen said:

Maybe make your mind up who you like and who you don't before you create your next troll account?
    Funny isn't it? Kluson joined at 9.41 and was slating Andertons by 10.21! If it isn't a shill account set up for that purpose you'd think there might be better ways of participating in the forum!
    FFTC see above,and a hapopy New year to you too! :-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    I don’t buy anything from Anderton’s but enjoy their - and TPS - content. Even some of chappers’ Stuff I can watch.
    It’s all good. If we don’t want to watch it, we aren’t forced to and if we don’t want to buy from there, we don’t have to...
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10299
    Limited Andertons dealer spec Custom Shop "Red" and "Blue" runs wouldn't be difficult to do - maybe Mick bringing the spec back to Fender bits could enable this. If he rejects the Callaham wang bar in favour of the Fender unit it'll be all systems go :)

Very cynical I know but that's why Macmull have tried to get involved - some lovely brand exposure for them in all this. 

The biggest positive for me is like total sheep I'm playing my Strat more as a result.
    A custom shop version of a AVRI Strat. Seems legit lol. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • In case anyone is a TPS fan and local to the area, there's a gig in Frome, Somerset on Thursday the 10th of Jan at The Cheese & Grain... mainly a chance for Dan and Mick to indulge some of their guilty pleasures but I'm sure they'll be happy to chat! I'll be there... lovely to meet any members! 

On the Strat subject, last time I worked with Mick a few months ago he was leaning on the JM Strat and I must say the setup was sounding huge!
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5187
    Oh dear.... it would be a bit hypocritical of me to go.... I’ve just unsubscribed from their YouTube channel  :s
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    In case anyone is a TPS fan and local to the area, there's a gig in Frome, Somerset on Thursday the 10th of Jan at The Cheese & Grain... mainly a chance for Dan and Mick to indulge some of their guilty pleasures but I'm sure they'll be happy to chat! I'll be there... lovely to meet any members! 

On the Strat subject, last time I worked with Mick a few months ago he was leaning on the JM Strat and I must say the setup was sounding huge!
    Frome is my home town (Mum still lives there), shame I can’t be there on 10th
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    edited December 2018
    dindude said:
    In case anyone is a TPS fan and local to the area, there's a gig in Frome, Somerset on Thursday the 10th of Jan at The Cheese & Grain... mainly a chance for Dan and Mick to indulge some of their guilty pleasures but I'm sure they'll be happy to chat! I'll be there... lovely to meet any members! 

I'm not far from Frome!!

I might go and tell Mick that lots of people think he is trying to be SRV and that he should be happy with a Squier Bullet strat and to stop being such a diva about gear.
  • My only point was that it was noticeable how much of this you tube content is being dominated by a few heavily commercial enterprises.

When the entertainments free its easy to forget you are the products thats being traded LOL. 

All that said not sure why everyone has such a downer you dont have to watch You Tube it is optional. 

• dindude said:

Ahh man, that’s a shame, would love to meet! Drummer is utterly awesome, one of my favourites to work with! I’m sure there’ll be more in the area soon anyway!
  • Dan was the reason I spent a lot of money years ago when he used to do the one page thing in guitar buyer. I bought some great pedals off his column then! That was a great magazine
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1134
    pmbomb said:
    Mick, life is short and we're all worm-food soon enough.

Save up and buy the vintage Strat you really want. Then relax and be happy with it.
    Or sell 4 or 5 of the b team (collings, mayer strat, lonestar, etc)

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    They are damned if the do and damned if they don’t arent they?

Make a show comparing pedals and people are fed up with repetitive content. Make a show comparing guitars and Micks playing isn’t up to par (total rubbish, he’s obviously a fabulous player). 

I do think Mick should sell off all his “b stock” like @Moltisanti suggested and bite the bullet. But then from what I understand Mick is a function player too so guitars are tools rather than a pastime like they are to us.

Two guys nattering about the geeky shit we come online to discuss for several hours a day and making money from that should be applauded. In fact I am jealous that I didn’t either have the knowledge or vision to think of what they are doing. It’s TV aimed at us. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4728
    kluson said:
    My only point was that it was noticeable how much of this you tube content is being dominated by a few heavily commercial enterprises.

This is a strange point to make.  Youtube is a free platform for literally everybody in the world.  You can search for any video by any user.  How can it be dominated?  You simply click on what you want to watch, or you can upload content of your own.
    I'd understand if it was a TV channel but when you choose your own content it's very easy to avoid being 'dominated.'

It's pretty obvious the Andertons videos are advertising, just like the old free JHS magazines, PGS videos, Tone Report Magazine.  I find the Andertons ones annoying so I don't watch them, but I've no issue with them producing them.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom