Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Mick's Strat Journey

What's Hot

Comments

• RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    terada said:
    For the life of me I can't tell why, but while I like watching Dan, Mick really gets on my nerves. What the hell is that about?

Still hope he finds what he wants though
    I feel the same about Dan. 

When Mick looks at Dan while playing I want to plane my own shins off
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • terada said:
    For the life of me I can't tell why, but while I like watching Dan, Mick really gets on my nerves. What the hell is that about?

Same her like his playing but his camera persona is so boring.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    terada said:

Same her like his playing but his camera persona is so boring.  
    I like him. Very articulate without being verbose. 
    Not as good as Chappers obviously..
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6855
    edited December 2018
    terada said:

I'm the complete opposite. Dan's cumface every time someone plays an open chord through an overdrive pedal is so grating. And then the 'that...... sounds..... awesome!' like he never heard a guitar before. So annoying. Mick is great on-camera for me. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    terada said:

Other way round for me, I can't stand Dan's incessant babbling. He always sounds about 60 years older than he really is.

• He's turning into guitar Michael McIntyre
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    I loved this episode. Maybe my favourite for a while. 

I am also really keen to see what happens when he upgrades the guitar. It’s not going to scratch his itch though. He wants a vintage Strat and ultimately that’s all that will suffice. 

I find this really interesting because I feel that I’ve totally fallen into the Strat rabbit hole. I have always owned one but toyed with all other styles of guitar. I’ve gone back to the Strat and I just find it perfect. The way it sounds, plays and the control layouts. I think I’ve found my guitar and now the hunt progresses for to find the best Strat I can find (even though I do love the ones I have). 

I am looking forward to the next couple of episodes 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    shaunm said:
    I loved this episode. Maybe my favourite for a while. 

I am also really keen to see what happens when he upgrades the guitar. It’s not going to scratch his itch though. He wants a vintage Strat and ultimately that’s all that will suffice. 

I find this really interesting because I feel that I’ve totally fallen into the Strat rabbit hole. I have always owned one but toyed with all other styles of guitar. I’ve gone back to the Strat and I just find it perfect. The way it sounds, plays and the control layouts. I think I’ve found my guitar and now the hunt progresses for to find the best Strat I can find (even though I do love the ones I have). 

I am looking forward to the next couple of episodes 

The thing I like most about liking les pauls, is that I know there is no chance of me ever owning an original one. I genuinely take comfort in that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14592
    He's turning into guitar Michael McIntyre
    That's just cruel. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24852
    edited December 2018
    Just watched it. While I’m prepared to believe the vintage examples may sound slightly better than the newer guitars - I suspect the amp is a big factor. Whatever he was playing through at V&R seemed to have much more ‘bounce’ and life, than the very ‘stiff’ sounding Two Rock.

Whenever I’ve played through a TR, I’ve always been underwhelmed. I genuinely do not ‘get’ what people like about them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • pmgpmg Frets: 299
    I found this mind numblingly boring and turned it off part way through
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    Damn, tough crowd!

Ill check it out tomorrow morning :)
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3008
    I came away from it thinking he should rebuild the cream 68 with a rev headstock neck and a single humbucker guard.

which I think means I’m missing the point 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm pleased he's doing the bridge and pickup upgrades separately. As a long time Callaham user I'm interested in his thoughts once it's on the guitar. I agree with @richardhomer about the amps making a big difference also. The shop environment always brings out the best in a guitar for me too. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2228

In my opinion, if Mick were less obsessed about trying to emulate John Mayer, Eric Johnson and Stevie Ray Vaughan, he might be a happier bunny.

..... like 99% of Strat players :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12683
    Sorry but the extra ‘magic’ of those vintage guitars was almost certainly the amp.

The TR is a dreadfully stiff sounding amp (if I’m honest it sounds generic on it’s clean sounds). 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• SRichSRich Frets: 763
    Interesting comment about “How it looks, how it looks, how it looks”.....what does this tell us???...... :)

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2416
    Sadly his old Blue is never going to sound like that '62 in V&R and he knows it. We're back to the old v new debate and many of you won't accept it......yet most professional players have already. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    Strat54 said:
    Sadly his old Blue is never going to sound like that '62 in V&R and he knows it. We're back to the old v new debate and many of you won't accept it......yet most professional players have already. 
    It’s not that it’s not accepted, I think most people will concede that in our chosen hobby most of the parts or bit of gear with age on them sound different to the newer stuff.

Guitar wise I don’t think old ones sound better but they certainly feel better. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4208
    Going to be very intrigued to see what tonal difference occurs using a vintage correct scratchplate and covers, I actually expect it to be noticeable
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom