Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Mick's Strat Journey

What's Hot

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12505
    pmg said:
    I found this mind numblingly boring and turned it off part way through
    To be fair I have never got through a whole pedal show episiode I'm not into any specific pedal question enough for and hour and a half of it.

Haven't watched this one yet but agree with much of the consensus that Mick is preferable to Dan to watch, although often Mick is reacting to Dan's knowledge so they probably need both.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    Only got half way through. Out of the opening comparisons pre the vintage stuff I thought his blue AVRI was actually the worst sounding - pretty muffled, congested mids and generally dull.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1392
    I enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next episodes. For me he is just being open and honest about how he feels about stuff, and not being ashamed to admit it to camera. That's a load better than the standard hype of products of usual yt fodder.
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2440
    BBBlues said:
    Only got half way through. Out of the opening comparisons pre the vintage stuff I thought his blue AVRI was actually the worst sounding - pretty muffled, congested mids and generally dull.
    Yeah, that's what my ears thought too. So not sure why he's going to put some fat 60's pickups in it, because they won't help his cause whatsoever. He's well and truly down that rabbit hole and with no options but to keep digging. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3090
    pmg said:
    I found this mind numblingly boring and turned it off part way through
    Me too! In fact I find TPS the same, episodes just drag on for me.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2176
    I got halfway through. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11504
    BBBlues said:

Depending on when that was made the stock pickups might not be helping.  I've got a 62 reissue and the original 57/62 stock pickups weren't great.  I've got Fralin Vintage Hots in there now, and they are a lot better.

A pickup change is very likely to improve his guitar.

Strat54 said:
    Sadly his old Blue is never going to sound like that '62 in V&R and he knows it. We're back to the old v new debate and many of you won't accept it......yet most professional players have already. 

Give it another 20 or 30 years. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12703
    crunchman said:
    BBBlues said:

Depending on when that was made the stock pickups might not be helping.  I've got a 62 reissue and the original 57/62 stock pickups weren't great.  I've got Fralin Vintage Hots in there now, and they are a lot better.

Strat54 said:
    Sadly his old Blue is never going to sound like that '62 in V&R and he knows it. We're back to the old v new debate and many of you won't accept it......yet most professional players have already. 

This.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• impmann said:
    crunchman said:
    BBBlues said:

Strat54 said:

This.

I think it's currently got Antiquity Texas Hots and an Antiquity Custom in the bridge. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• DrJazzTap said:
    I got halfway through. 
    Me too.  

We all have influences, I get it, but over time you'd expect a pro to evolve their own sound, from those influences.  

Mick's influences are still glaringly obvious in his playing, I can name the SRV songs he's lifted a lot of his "licks" from as he's playing, and SRV was done to death and boring 25 years ago.  I can't listen to it.

Oh and all those Strats sounded the same, though I admit I'm not a Strat guy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefan said:
    DrJazzTap said:
    I got halfway through. 
    Me too.  

We all have influences, I get it, but over time you'd expect a pro to evolve their own sound, from those influences.  

Mick's influences are still glaringly obvious in his playing, I can name the SRV songs he's lifted a lot of his "licks" from as he's playing, and SRV was done to death and boring 25 years ago.  I can't listen to it.

Oh and all those Strats sounded the same, though I admit I'm not a Strat guy.
    @clarkefan I agree surely some new lickage is indicated if your in a weekly you tube program.....cos it feels like watching repeats currently
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    Watched the whole episode this morning while working on a guitar body. I quite enjoyed that. The PRS and Macmull don’t sound that good to me tbh. I liked the two fenders though. 

I have to admit, I don’t understand the vintage guitar market. I can’t afford to get into it anyway but I don’t lust after the vintage versions of the modern day equivalents. I think we can get too lost in the whole tone thing. Most of us end up back where we were at the start.... and usually financially lighter than when we first started.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24864
    edited December 2018
    lonestar said:
    Watched the whole episode this morning while working on a guitar body. I quite enjoyed that. The PRS and Macmull don’t sound that good to me tbh. I liked the two fenders though. 

I have to admit, I don’t understand the vintage guitar market. I can’t afford to get into it anyway but I don’t lust after the vintage versions of the modern day equivalents. I think we can get too lost in the whole tone thing. Most of us end up back where we were at the start.... and usually financially lighter than when we first started.
    Funny how we hear things differently. I thought the Silver Sky was the best sounding out of the four - though I didn’t like the Macmull at all.

That said, with a tweak on the amp (or preferably an amp more to my taste) I’m sure any of them would sound okay - particularly in a band mix.

I agree the whole ‘tone-chasing’ thing is pointless.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    What the actual fuck is up with that Macmull headstock!! It looks genuinely like a child designed it. 
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3012
    I’ve got a fiver that says he’ll have a Pre-CBS Strat within a year, anyone taking that bet ? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    lonestar said:

Funny how we hear things differently. I thought the Silver Sky was the best sounding out of the four - though I didn’t like the Macmull at all.

That said, with a tweak on the amp (or preferably an amp more to my taste) I’m sure any of them would sound okay - particularly in a band mix.

I agree the whole ‘tone-chasing’ thing is pointless.
    I fully admit to just listening to it on my LG TV. I’ll bet it would be a different story if I was running the video through proper speakers. I’ve heard a lot of negatives about TR amps, I was under the impression they were fantastic but the majority of comments are saying how flag and lifeless it is. 

rico said:
    What the actual fuck is up with that Macmull headstock!! It looks genuinely like a child designed it. 
    I think the idea is to keep it recognisable. They’ve achieved that imo. But whether people like it or not is another matter entirely 

DrBob said:
    I’ve got a fiver that says he’ll have a Pre-CBS Strat within a year, anyone taking that bet ? 
    It’s a done deal I’d say. But not that candy red one in V&R... it wasn’t particularly nice to my ears
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4212
    edited December 2018
    Funny, that red Strat ticked every box for me, considering the mic on the phone
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2036
    It's spelled Phoebe 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4212
    lol, autocorrect and no glasses :)
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2176
    I do admire his fascination for the small things. Ultimately this is down to him to answer..this might be a crafty long term game plan to justify a vastly expensive guitar to his other half.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom