Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Mick's Strat Journey

What's Hot

Comments

• peteripeteri Frets: 1284
    Found this interesting, on many levels - I’ve been critical of TPS in the past, but I have to say on his own (when he’s not playing the ‘nice but dim’ to Dan’s expertise) I liked his style.

What was very interesting to me was the red Strat at V&R, I spent an afternoon with that late September couldn’t decide if I wanted it - and left it in the shop with them telling me they wouldn’t cut the price because they had a firm offer on the phone if I wouldn’t take it there and then.

So quite enjoyed it’s still there! :)

I also consider the 64 I ended up with a far superior guitar, the V&R one firstly has the bridge and middle really imbalanced - middle pickup is nearly 2k hotter, which smelt of a rewind to me.

But also the finish, with the guitar having been stored in a loft, is shot - it’s so fragile you can feel it catching on your clothes as you play - in 6 months it will look like Rory’s strat.

So was nice to see Mick enjoy it so much! ;)

I’m interested to see the improvements in his he can make, I have a sneaking feeling this will lead to a Fender issue of his - just a bad taste I’m beginning to get how they refer them as ‘Red’ and ‘Blue’ smacks of an Anderton’s sales drive.

But who knows, enjoyed it and I’m an old cynic maybe
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I agree that he is very Guitar Magazine blues....  but YouTube is different to regular tv in some respects.  Notably, that Mick made this video because he wanted to, not because he wanted audience rankings.  I enjoyed it, but I'm a John Mayer fan, so it was up my street.
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1060
    edited December 2018
    I thought it was interesting. 

I enjoy tps, but i think taking Mick as an example... This is what happens when you put obsessive focus into the least important element of music... the minutiae of the gear.

Its a rabbit hole I've tried to fight my way out of myself.

He woukd be so much a better player if he put his focus on music not the gear.

#edit# reading this back it sounds a bit negative about his playing... thats not my intention. He's a decent player, i mean with less focus on gear and more on playing he'd be even better
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6860
    I think it’s a little disingenuous to continually slate the guy’s playing. I play exactly the same things on every guitar or pedal I’m trying out because it gives me a benchmark where I know how it should sound. It’s not what I’d play for every solo in every song if I was a recording artist but this isn’t what his channel is about. 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • klusonkluson Frets: 15
    edited December 2018
    peteri said:
    Found this interesting, on many levels - I’ve been critical of TPS in the past, but I have to say on his own (when he’s not playing the ‘nice but dim’ to Dan’s expertise) I liked his style.

What was very interesting to me was the red Strat at V&R, I spent an afternoon with that late September couldn’t decide if I wanted it - and left it in the shop with them telling me they wouldn’t cut the price because they had a firm offer on the phone if I wouldn’t take it there and then.

So quite enjoyed it’s still there!

I also consider the 64 I ended up with a far superior guitar, the V&R one firstly has the bridge and middle really imbalanced - middle pickup is nearly 2k hotter, which smelt of a rewind to me.

But also the finish, with the guitar having been stored in a loft, is shot - it’s so fragile you can feel it catching on your clothes as you play - in 6 months it will look like Rory’s strat.

So was nice to see Mick enjoy it so much!

I’m interested to see the improvements in his he can make, I have a sneaking feeling this will lead to a Fender issue of his - just a bad taste I’m beginning to get how they refer them as ‘Red’ and ‘Blue’ smacks of an Anderton’s sales drive.

But who knows, enjoyed it and I’m an old cynic maybe
    Spot on, I must be the only one who doesnt like this Anderton's You Tube clique now formed. The shop is dreadful.,, all too big for their boots all pushing each other to you tube stardom.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6760
    edited December 2018

You don't see saxophonists debating the merits of the tonal impact of abalone keys versus ebony (I'm making this up btw) They just buy a instrument and get on with it until they buy a better instrument (and then get on with it again).
    Actually you do.

How do I know? I'm a professional saxophonist and clarinetist. 
    Many, many sax players have a never-ending journey for the perfect mouthpiece, strap, ligature, reeds, pads, cork grease etc etc. It's part of the nerdism. 

Particularly tenor players and mouthpieces. I went through about 30 tenor mouthpieces before I found one that really worked for me. Now I'm pretty much sticking with my saxes and mouthpieces and haven't changed in years. Clarinets too. 

The change for me was when I finally understood that you're going to sound like you, like the sound in your head, whatever mouthpiece/sax/clarinet you play. The trick is to find the one that enables you to get that sound out with the least resistance. I guess it's the same with guitars. Establish (and accept) what sound you have in your head and find the correct tool to facilitate making that sound. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    kluson said:
    Spot on, I must be the only one who doesnt like this Anderton's You Tube clique now formed. The shop is dreadful.,, all too big for their boots all pushing each other to you tube stardom.
    And which musical instrument retailer do you work for?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    fftc said:
    kluson said:
    And which musical instrument retailer do you work for?
    I don't

• prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3993
    I do think some people are a tad quick to suggest a nefarious purpose to anything this pair do.

"They gave their guitars cutesy nicknames, it must be a devious ploy"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2018
    prlgmnr said:
    I do think some people are a tad quick to suggest a nefarious purpose to anything this pair do.

I don't disagree with you, I'm just getting a bit fed up of all the you tube cliqueness (If that's a word). I went along to the TPS Live and it was an amazing night, Joey Landreth was outstanding. It seems a little bit like the shows have now run out of steam a little. When they started it was really great. Now they seem to go on for hours. It must be difficult to come up with ideas. Frankly I cannot stand the Chappers and Lee Anderton videos. The Pete ones on his own are pretty cool as he is such a great player, who can clearly play anything.
    Didn't some guy on you tube set up a go fund me so that he could buy a 62 strat. Frankly these guys are doing the same by a different method. " watch my videos so that I can earn enough money to buy the fiesta red strat from V+R ( which by the way is not a very good one, the guitar has been subjected to constant temp change which has killed the finish, You can see that he is frightened to play it)
    each to his own

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kluson said:
    prlgmnr said:

I don't disagree with you, I'm just getting a bit fed up of all the you tube cliqueness (If that's a word). I went along to the TPS Live and it was an amazing night, Joey Landreth was outstanding. It seems a little bit like the shows have now run out of steam a little. When they started it was really great. Now they seem to go on for hours. It must be difficult to come up with ideas. Frankly I cannot stand the Chappers and Lee Anderton videos. The Pete ones on his own are pretty cool as he is such a great player, who can clearly play anything.
    Didn't some guy on you tube set up a go fund me so that he could buy a 62 strat. Frankly these guys are doing the same by a different method. " watch my videos so that I can earn enough money to buy the fiesta red strat from V+R ( which by the way is not a very good one, the guitar has been subjected to constant temp change which has killed the finish, You can see that he is frightened to play it)
    each to his own

You don't have to watch any of it, you know...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    kluson said:
    prlgmnr said:

each to his own

You don't have to watch any of it, you know...
    I fully agree which I why io don't watch the Andertons stuff any longer. The TPS is usually informative and like I said, it must be difficult to keep coming up with subjects, there are millions of different pedals out there and so much is Emperor's new clothes and snake oil. I subscribe to the show, and my only critcism is that is seems to be running out of steam and the clique of the Anderton Gang.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kluson said:
    I fully agree which I why io don't watch the Andertons stuff any longer. The TPS is usually informative and like I said, it must be difficult to keep coming up with subjects, there are millions of different pedals out there and so much is Emperor's new clothes and snake oil. I subscribe to the show, and my only critcism is that is seems to be running out of steam and the clique of the Anderton Gang.
    The TPS guys make no secret that they derive income from Andertons - I really don’t get what the problem is. Would you expect them to make TPS if they had to do it for free?

I’ve no personal experience of Andertons - but Lee seems like a very sharp business man who’s used YouTube extremely effectively. I respect what he’s done and am happy to see a thriving MI business. As far as their content goes, I watch some it - and don’t bother with the stuff I’m not interested in.

I genuinely don’t understand why people get ‘on one’ about things like this - as others have said - no one is compelled to watch it. 

Perhaps I’m out of touch - but I don’t think people being successful and making money is a problem.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
    kluson said:
    The TPS guys make no secret that they derive income from Andertons - I really don’t get what the problem is. Would you expect them to make TPS if they had to do it for free?

I’ve no personal experience of Andertons - but Lee seems like a very sharp business man who’s used YouTube extremely effectively. I respect what he’s done and am happy to see a thriving MI business. As far as their content goes, I watch some it - and don’t bother with the stuff I’m not interested in.

I genuinely don’t understand why people get ‘on one’ about things like this - as others have said - no one is compelled to watch it. 

Perhaps I’m out of touch - but I don’t think people being successful and making money is a problem.
    Like I said " Each to their own"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    edited December 2018 tFB Trader
    kluson said:

I agree @richardhomer .

Without sounding like a dick, I suspect jealousy plays a part. These guys are making a living in the music business, they get to enjoy high end gear which is where their interest lies and they deal with professional musicians every week. Both in a business and pleasure context. 

If you don’t like these videos, don’t watch them. They’re not causing anyone any harm other than being happy, it would appear.
    edited December 2018
    lonestar said:
    kluson said:

I agree @richardhomer .

Without sounding like a dick, I suspect jealousy plays a part. These guys are making a living in the music business, they get to enjoy high end gear which is where their interest lies and they deal with professional musicians every week. Both in a business and pleasure context. 

If you don’t like these videos, don’t watch them. They’re not causing anyone any harm other than being happy, it would appear.

I support them! I subscribe, I bought Tee shirts, attended the TPS Live, bought pedals., I really like most of their shows. I am in no way jealous of them. I am not critsizing them, , I am sympathetic to their cause and also how difficult it must be to come up with consistently entertaining as well as informative material. I'm glad they are making a living doing what they like. I am not forced to watch and am aware of that, move on if its not my thing. That does not mean I am not entitled to an opinion! The same as you. If you disagree fair enough, That's life!

My only dislike is the Anderton thing.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    kluson said:
    lonestar said:
    kluson said:

I agree @richardhomer .

I support them! I subscribe, I bought Tee shirts, attended the TPS Live, bought pedals., I really like most of their shows. I am in no way jealous of them. I am not critsizing them, , I am sympathetic to their cause and also how difficult it must be to come up with consistently entertaining as well as informative material. I'm glad they are making a living doing what they like. I am not forced to watch and am aware of that, move on if its not my thing. That does not mean I am not entitled to an opinion! The same as you. If you disagree fair enough, That's life!

My only dislike is the Anderton thing.
    Btw, the chap you mentioned who had a gofundme page was Dave Simpson. I don’t believe he set it up. It was set up for him to get a 60s strat and his fans made sure he could get it. Lovely fella and a monster player. He prefers tranny amps so everything you hear him play is through either an Orange 120 or Marshall of some sort.

Funnily enough, the “clique” you mention actually spreads wider than you see on the surface with regards to suppliers and businesses getting their names forward to these guys for promotional purposes. You got to realise that the shows we are discussing on YouTube are British made and produced promoting a lot of homegrown talent. Yes, you can’t escape the big names of course but a lot of UK brands are used by both TPS and Andertons. 

This is is a good thing. I have no issue with any connections and cliques going on. It’s better for us as a guitar playing community that these guys work together.
    That's the guy, he got absolutely slagged off for that, He's a great player and uses moderate gear. Thanks for the reminder. a very humble guy, I seem to remember,

• Limited Andertons dealer spec Custom Shop "Red" and "Blue" runs wouldn't be difficult to do - maybe Mick bringing the spec back to Fender bits could enable this. If he rejects the Callaham wang bar in favour of the Fender unit it'll be all systems go :)

Very cynical I know but that's why Macmull have tried to get involved - some lovely brand exposure for them in all this. 

The biggest positive for me is like total sheep I'm playing my Strat more as a result.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1384
    kluson said:

This. Plus please read the public statements on TPS website about endorsements. I enjoy their output, value their opinions and expertise, and love their enthusiasm. I reserve the right to buy their T shirts and shop whever I want if that supports a video or 2 each week.
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024