Gibson Winter 2019 lineup announced

What's Hot

Comments

• dindude said:
    One thing on the new Gibbos - is it just me or do they all look super shiney - more than normal, almost PRS dipped in glass look, which I’m not a huge fan of but hey, could be the lighting. 
    Yeah i noticed that, Hope they do a VOS option, I thought the top carve looked a bit better too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    I think they’ll just be polished up for the NAMM spotlights. They’re unlikely to do vos on the USA line. The gloss doesn’t last long on nitro anyway.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dindude said:
    One thing on the new Gibbos - is it just me or do they all look super shiney - more than normal, almost PRS dipped in glass look, which I’m not a huge fan of but hey, could be the lighting. 
    I rubber down both my 2016 and 2017 models as they looked like a boiled sweet. Dreadful finish

My R8 VOS is awesome though 
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3400
    edited January 2019
    NelsonP said:
    Some small changes to the 2019 DC Junior:
    - Jack moved to bottom rather than front
    - volume tone controls in a different position
    ...presumably the above are to allow for a more consistent produciton approach with the special, which has the pickup selector near the bridge. I actually prefer the original as the controls are within easier reach.
    - Graphtech, rather than Tektoid nut (which is better?)
    - 10s instead of hybrid 9s
     https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/USAVDZ830/Les-Paul-Junior-Tribute-DC-Coming-Soon

It might be worth looking out for good deals on clearing existing stocks.

Original 2019

New 2019
    Special

Saw a vid that suggested that the DC Jr and Special are now both routed in the same way (i.e. if you buy a jr you can easily convert it to a special later). It also suggested that the current 2019 DC Juniors may be more desireable in future as they don't have all of the wood routed out for the neck pickup.

Skip to 4:35 in

• RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    tFB Trader
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    Rabs said:

They have updated their site again.. 

This is still my favourite in the new line...Hmmmmmmmmmmm

https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/CUSF5K865/Les-Paul-Special-Double-Cut-Figured-Top

https://i.imgur.com/YKaYh1U.png

Slim taper neck profile, Pass.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Where are these "golden era" 2019 guitars at? Are they in the dealers yet?

• Rabs said:

They have updated their site again.. 

This is still my favourite in the new line...Hmmmmmmmmmmm

https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/CUSF5K865/Les-Paul-Special-Double-Cut-Figured-Top

https://i.imgur.com/YKaYh1U.png

Nice! I'd have mine in 'Cobra Burst' I think...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Where are these "golden era" 2019 guitars at? Are they in the dealers yet?
    Saw on Instagram Peach guitars are getting their first 2 in tomorrow 
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2958

'63 SG 'Les Paul' Custom has just been added to the line up. As a $6,700 Custom Shop model, I'm hoping Gibson USA will offer something similar. Either that or I'll have to take up dentistry... :)
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The new 59 reissues are up on Peach's site. 
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    £5299? That's....wow.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LonewolffLonewolff Frets: 67
    The 60th anniversary has gone up in price by nearly $3000 on the Gibson website.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    Can anyone explain why the ‘59s are priced at >£5k? There’s nothing particularly special in the description - flame top, VOS finish, custom buckers.  Apparently they’re anniversary models but there’s nothing in the spec that makes them special as far as I can tell?

Or is this the true price of such an instrument and I’m just used to seeing discounted R8s at £2.5k and R9s at £3.5k?

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27105
    Can anyone explain why the ‘59s are priced at >£5k? There’s nothing particularly special in the description - flame top, VOS finish, custom buckers.  Apparently they’re anniversary models but there’s nothing in the spec that makes them special as far as I can tell?

Or is this the true price of such an instrument and I’m just used to seeing discounted R8s at £2.5k and R9s at £3.5k?

Yeah, the RRP has been up there for years. I recall a really pretty red R9 in Guitar Village that was 4999 at least 5 years ago. Obviously normal people wait for a sale and buy them for much less, and I would assume that will continue, but potentially with less supply.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492

Yeah, the RRP has been up there for years. I recall a really pretty red R9 in Guitar Village that was 4999 at least 5 years ago. Obviously normal people wait for a sale and buy them for much less, and I would assume that will continue, but potentially with less supply.

I think supply will be drastically reduced specifically to prevent such discounting that damages the brand as well as the wasted resources that is unsold inventory. They’ll always be sales but I expect moreso with the USA line with the odd Custom Shop.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11453
    Fifty9 said:

I think supply will be drastically reduced specifically to prevent such discounting that damages the brand as well as the wasted resources that is unsold inventory. They’ll always be sales but I expect moreso with the USA line with the odd Custom Shop.

This.  At least I hope so, having bought an R9 in last years sale at £3.5k.  Makes mine worth more if you can't get them new at that price any more.

I get the impression that they want to make less of them to keep the prices higher.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    There's still no sign of the models displayed at NAMM, where are the Les Paul Standard 50s & 60s, the Les Paul Junior & Special? I assumed these were factory models not custom shop, the Gibson website now mixes the factory & Custom Shop models and it's pretty confusing.

• Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 777
    There's still no sign of the models displayed at NAMM, where are the Les Paul Standard 50s & 60s, the Les Paul Junior & Special? I assumed these were factory models not custom shop, the Gibson website now mixes the factory & Custom Shop models and it's pretty confusing.
    They are getting rid of the "old" 2019's first.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    Not sure if we’re talking about the same thing, but Thomann have the 2019 Junior in worn ebony for just over £500 which seems like a decent offer.  No sign of the others you mention though.