Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why is Hendrix so revered amongst guitarists?

What's Hot

Comments

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158

Some weird statements in here. A better Rock player than Hendrix before 1971 did not exists. The fact that someone tried to pull Hank Marvin´s name out of the bag was certainly funny. If you honestly think a teatotal, glasses warning Jehovah´s Witness who played for Cliff Richard is rock.....................

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    Evilmags said:

Some weird statements in here. A better Rock player than Hendrix before 1971 did not exists. The fact that someone tried to pull Hank Marvin´s name out of the bag was certainly funny. If you honestly think a teatotal, glasses warning Jehovah´s Witness who played for Cliff Richard is rock.....................

...not sure what's wrong with glasses...
    :-B

On a long car journey I listened to a radio documentary about Hank and they played some live stuff ( from the early 60's I think) and he was much bluesier and rawer live than on record at that time - the odd thing being that Hank hadn't really heard much blues up to that point and had sort of extracted the DNA of blues out of rock'n'roll. But,no, not exactly Hendrix ( and as I said about 30 pages ago on this discussion Hank didn't like Hendrix and wouldn't have thanked anyone for the comparison).  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Evilmags said:

On a long car journey I listened to a radio documentary about Hank and they played some live stuff ( from the early 60's I think) and he was much bluesier and rawer live than on record at that time - the odd thing being that Hank hadn't really heard much blues up to that point and had sort of extracted the DNA of blues out of rock'n'roll. But,no, not exactly Hendrix ( and as I said about 30 pages ago on this discussion Hank didn't like Hendrix and wouldn't have thanked anyone for the comparison).  
    Back in the 70s my girlfriend at the time took me to a Cliff Richard concert. The first part had Hank and the Shadows doing their stuff and then Cliff joined them for some numbers and then Cliff did his own stuff with his band. At the time Cliff had moved into rock - Tommy Vance famously played a Cliff track on the Friday Rock Show.

Hank joined Cliff's band for a couple of numbers and I've never seen a man so out of his depth. I think Cliff's guitarist was Chris Spedding - he had a hard rock blusey tone. I felt sorry for Hank. So no Hank didn't have an ounce of rock or blues in him.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Evilmags said:

It is scary how often we agree these days. Fuck. Maybe I'm getting old.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    Hendrix was far and away the finest guitarist of his generation. His generation, were the most important in both Rock and Pop music for a multitude of reasons.

Quite how that can result in anything other than hero-worship is completely beyond me.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    There is a really really easy way to fix this...

I've just phoned Jimmy Bryant and Jimi Hendrix and neither of those fuckers wanted to comment, so seeing as even they don't care - maybe everyone else should calm the fuck down...
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    Blimey 13 pages, I can't read all that.

Name an influential guitarist pre Hendrix, (Clapton doesn't count because he admits when he saw Hendrix he thought about giving up).

Bert Weedon, Scotty Moore, Chuck Berry, Hank Marvin, George Harrison, a string of Yardbirds guitarists, ditto Mayalls Bluesbreakers, The Jazzers Like Wes Montgommery etc.

The likes of Robert Johnson, and the (now) 50s blues guitarists (Freddie King, Lead Belly, John Lee Hooker etc.) were largely unknown to most people at the time and have only become widely appreciated since because of later study of influences.

Definitely of his (flower power) time but something of a game changer (Chuck, Hank and George probably being game changers too). His time came and he was a star, players approached the guitar differently after him.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:
    Evilmags said:

Back in the 70s my girlfriend at the time took me to a Cliff Richard concert. The first part had Hank and the Shadows doing their stuff and then Cliff joined them for some numbers and then Cliff did his own stuff with his band. At the time Cliff had moved into rock - Tommy Vance famously played a Cliff track on the Friday Rock Show.

Hank joined Cliff's band for a couple of numbers and I've never seen a man so out of his depth. I think Cliff's guitarist was Chris Spedding - he had a hard rock blusey tone. I felt sorry for Hank. So no Hank didn't have an ounce of rock or blues in him.
    I think to some extent the problems being heard meant his Vox amps were turned up much louder on stage than on the recordings so he had this period of a relatively raunchy live tone - no doubt he turned back down to squeaky clean as soon as decent PA became available.
  • Drew_fx said:
    Evilmags said:

It is scary how often we agree these days. Fuck. Maybe I'm getting old.

Recently I am also experiencing several of these episodes.  Reading this, maybe it's not us that is changing.

As accurate as your point is Mags, just remember the goalposts moved a while back in this thread when 'rock' music didn't count.  It was just about white soulless country noodlers.

Fretwired said:

Yeah but he was fast right?  That's what maketh the legend.
    ESBlonde said:

The likes of Robert Johnson, and the (now) 50s blues guitarists (Freddie King, Lead Belly, John Lee Hooker etc.) were largely unknown to most people at the time and have only become widely appreciated since because of later study of influences.

Unfortunately although true this point has been ruled as totally invalid in this argument as these blues players were neither particular fast perfect nor playing music for cross burning evangelical NRA members.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Fretwired said:
    Evilmags said:

I think to some extent the problems being heard meant his Vox amps were turned up much louder on stage than on the recordings so he had this period of a relatively raunchy live tone - no doubt he turned back down to squeaky clean as soon as decent PA became available.
    Interesting point .. I quite like Hank. He's good at what he does and he has built a large fan base.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Fretwired said:
    Interesting point .. I quite like Hank. He's good at what he does and he has built a large fan base.
    That probably allows him to use a larger motor for a bigger blade - a good idea in antipodean countries with their warmer climates.. but it has probably voided his waranty...
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413

You know there's Shadows clubs all round the country meeting every couple of weeks to play Shadows tunes. I would say in the UK Hank was a bigger influence in terms of inspiring people to play guitar.  Actually maybe it's a generation thing, I wasn't aware of Hendrix till the nineties when I really started to get into guitars. Hanks image in the UK is so well known it's used to sell snacks and stuff. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:

You know there's Shadows clubs all round the country meeting every couple of weeks to play Shadows tunes. I would say in the UK Hank was a bigger influence in terms of inspiring people to play guitar.  Actually maybe it's a generation thing, I wasn't aware of Hendrix till the nineties when I really started to get into guitars. Hanks image in the UK is so well known it's used to sell snacks and stuff. 
    In that case I counter with Bob Marley coffee!

Lively up yourself!

~O)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    Why is Levi Roots not more revered?
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Hank Marvin is to Rock and Roll what Keith Richards is to clean living. Hendrix practically invented Rock guitar in terms of putting the whole thing together and unlike EVH never released a track as epically shit as Jump. Compositionally and as a songwriter he was also a genius an took blues and psychedelic music to another level. Let´s face it very few women ever got wet panties over the likes of Hank Marvin, and Jimi could express a raw, charismatic and deeply felt note in a way no one else could.  
  • Quick poll of the females of the troop:

Me: Who is the greatest guitar player of all time?

Mrs Monkey "Jimi Hendrix"
    Youngest Monkey (18yrs): "Jimi Hendrix"

My wife would think thats a trap and go with her default answer,  'Nile Rodgers'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Evilmags said:
    Let´s face it very few women ever got wet panties over the likes of Hank Marvin,

Hank just took time to get to that stage.  Go to any Shadows gig now and it's a dead cert that at least 50% of the women in the audience have unwanted moisture in their knickers.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Evilmags said:
    Hank Marvin is to Rock and Roll what Keith Richards is to clean living. Hendrix practically invented Rock guitar in terms of putting the whole thing together and unlike EVH never released a track as epically shit as Jump. Compositionally and as a songwriter he was also a genius an took blues and psychedelic music to another level. Let´s face it very few women ever got wet panties over the likes of Hank Marvin, and Jimi could express a raw, charismatic and deeply felt note in a way no one else could.  

Which bit of genius songwriting was that then, must have missed it due to watching guitarists who are plinky plonky, don't play rock and therefore crap!
  • Anyway thought this was finished ?
    Anyway thought this was finished ?
    It was pretty washed up before it started ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom