Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why is Hendrix so revered amongst guitarists?

What's Hot

Comments

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7288
    When people talk about Hendrix's mistakes it kind of reminds me of people like Gaving Rossdale who play loads of bum notes and incidentals and weir noises but theyre like punctuation for the other parts of the song. You have to realise that you're listening to people who don't consider themselves a guitarist and are playing to the song.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    Heartfeltdawn;227525" said:
    Was it Pete Stanley who said that? 
    I think they are Bob Stanley and Pete Wigg!
    Bob Stanley by the look of it.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4990
    Hey Joe, which sounded great, tasteful playing. 
    Simple progression transformed into a wonderful song with brilliant guitar playing and soulful vocals.

"That" is why he's revered, as well as the crazy stuff he did some truly beautiful music. I think you're just going to have to accept that he is revered, even if you don't get why.

There's a reasonably high probability that if you did a poll of everyone on the planet to name a guitar hero, Jimi would be right up there, if not at the top. There's a dead horse here and you're flogging it.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4138
    edited May 2014
    Simple progression transformed into a wonderful song with brilliant guitar playing and soulful vocals.

"That" is why he's revered, as well as the crazy stuff he did some truly beautiful music. I think you're just going to have to accept that he is revered, even if you don't get why.

There's a reasonably high probability that if you did a poll of everyone on the planet to name a guitar hero, Jimi would be right up there, if not at the top. There's a dead horse here and you're flogging it.

I accepted he is revered long ago, no problem with it, was hoping someone would help me understand by showing me his qualities that I have missed. as I had never really listened to his albums only heard the hits.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    Bored now....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4990
    I accepted he is revered long ago, no problem with it, was hoping someone would help me understand by showing me his qualities that I have missed. as I had never really listened to his albums only heard the hits.
    Try listening to them then. If you don't like them, no biggie. Personal taste is subjective, and we're all allowed our own opinion.

Either way, it won't change the fact that Jimi is a massive influence on a lot of the guitar players that have come afterwards. Simply because we heard what we heard and were moved by it.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    I like how players like Vai, Gilbert, Satch etc are panned because they're "too clinical" and are very technical, yet Hendrix has a looser technique with a more basic manner and apparently that's a problem too...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Try listening to them then. If you don't like them, no biggie. Personal taste is subjective, and we're all allowed our own opinion.

Either way, it won't change the fact that Jimi is a massive influence on a lot of the guitar players that have come afterwards. Simply because we heard what we heard and were moved by it.

Just finished , did like Red house most out of those Vids posted.

You can really see those licks that SRV nicked! 

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited May 2014

But you like the twangy suited perfection of Hank Marvin ... here you go. Not a single mistake, perfectly in time and in tune, but it has all the passion of wet weekend in Wigan with a 60 year old slapper ... give me Jimi anytime.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2014

who said I liked Hank ? I hate all that stuff, I like this guitar playing god !

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    Bidley said:
    I like how players like Vai, Gilbert, Satch etc are panned because they're "too clinical" and are very technical, yet Hendrix has a looser technique with a more basic manner and apparently that's a problem too...
    :))
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592

Mistake at 2:55:36, just saying. :)

Actually I love his playing, it's a style I tend to lean towards a little myself, certainly more than I do towards Hendrix.
    I did go to an Albert Lee gig a couple of years ago though, and can honestly say it wasn't exactly a life-changing experience. Charisma is not his middle name, let's be honest.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Hey great track. I've always loved that one.

BTW do you know Emmylou Harris's " Wrecking Ball" album? Lovely cover of Hendrix's "Waterfall" on that. :D
    Yes I have it, love the Handrix track "may this be love"
    p90fool said:

Actually I love his playing, it's a style I tend to lean towards a little myself, certainly more than I do towards Hendrix.
    I did go to an Albert Lee gig a couple of years ago though, and can honestly say it wasn't exactly a life-changing experience. Charisma is not his middle name, let's be honest.

Lots of mistakes in Alberts playing, listen to him play solo on Sweet little Lisa by Dave Edmunds, he is just about to lose it completely, really on the edge of his ability.
    But agree, nice guy but not the best front man, hence why he has always been the Sideman for so many great artists over last 50 years. 
  • ElxElx Frets: 412
    Dave_Mc said:
    Bidley said:
    :))
    This...because guitarists are generally full of shit. I've never heard piano, violin or trumpet players talk bullshit like we do. It's got a lot to do with our insecurities...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    Yeah. I'm not saying all guitarists are full of it, because they aren't. But I'm struggling to come up with any other explanation for an awful lot of the things surrounding guitar which just plain don't make sense. It goes for a lot of the BS surrounding gear, too.

I suppose in this case, though, you could possibly say that the guitarists who say Hendrix makes too many mistakes might not be the same ones who think Vai and co. are too clinical.

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited May 2014
    p90fool said:

I think you'll find the mistakes started with the choice of stage-wear.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • seany65seany65 Frets: 264
    There seem to be a lot of people who don't listen to Hendrix yet are hyper aware of him making lots of mistakes and being out of tune.

Interesting... maybe it's because they're not feeling what he was doing and so judge him using strict technical criteria?

If your career revolves around being a virtuoso instrumentalist - like many 'rock' guitarists today - then yes, you'd better be in tune and practice your scales. Hendrix wasn't about that, never claimed to be. 

It was his music, his context, his approach to performance. I doubt anybody attending Woodstock did so with the aim of experiencing impeccable guitar technique.

In other words, I don't understand the question 'how many players are allowed to get away with quite a few mistakes?'. It's alien to me. Stinks of leather trousers with tassles.

streethawk, please don't take this a s a'flame' but in my defence I have to say that personally, I'm only aware that he made mistakes 'cos I've read others say he did in this thread and didn't you post a quote from him saying he makes mistakes?

I don't know enough to 'judge' him on any technical criteria. I wasn't actually 'judging' him, as such anyway. I merely said I don't 'get' his stuff. I did say that other members seem to like his stuff because of the mistakes.

As for the question that you don't understand, well, would you sit and listen to Mark knopfler if he made a noticeable number of mistakes?

• SamgbSamgb Frets: 774

I always see Hendrix as the Jackson Pollock figure - i recognise that he completely changed the direction of his art from but i dont necessarily want to listen to him/hang one of his paintings on my wall.

I can see the value. I understand why he is revered. I very much enjoy certain aspects of his music - usually his mellower stuff or his more tightly structured singles. I cant stand the extended live 'jams' simply because i dont think he ever had a group around him that could match him. Not the Experience, although they were engagingly all over the place in a Cream's Younger Brothers kind of way. And certainly not the Buddy Miles later band who just let him crank himself stupid for ten minutes on every tune.

In terms of where he could have gone had he lived? I would have loved to have seen the Miles Davis pipe dream come to fruition(Bitches Brew with Jimi?), or maybe collaborating with Stevie Wonder or Marvin Gaye on those amazing early 70s albums? A shame because i definitely think he died when he was a little bit lost in terms of direction.    

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom