Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why is Hendrix so revered amongst guitarists?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBM;451602" said:
    But I'm OK with that :).
    Obviously I'm not....
    :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72591
    That bait was meant for koneguitarist, sorry :D.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23070
    I'm not even going there on Roy Buchanan.  Suffice to say I take the opposite viewpoint to ICBM...

What is interesting reading this thread - well, some of it - is the realisation that perceptions have changed so much.  I was born in 1964, starting getting interested in music around the late '70s, and I just grew up with the received widom that Hendrix was the greatest guitar player of all.  I'm not saying I regard that as a "fact", I never thought about it much, but I guess I always had a vague assumption that he was at least respected by just about everyone.

But that was less than a decade after his death... another 30 or 35 years have passed and of course the world has moved on.  It's only in the last couple of years that it's struck me we don't hear Hendrix much any more (except maybe "Crosstown Traffic" in car adverts or news items about road congestion) and he isn't talked about much in guitar magazines or forums.  

I also realised it had been quite a few years since I'd actually listened to his music, so I recently bought a load of it on CD.  Still sounds good to me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Garry Moore is on sky Arts right now playing Jimi songs
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Garry Moore is on sky Arts right now playing Jimi songs
    I like some of Gary's stuff (the Celtic rock, not the blues) but had to turn this show off.

So dull.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • ICBM said:
    I could ask "why is Roy Buchanan so revered among guitarists?", because I genuinely don't understand why his hideous squealing meandering unmusical soloing is considered good. But I'm OK with that :).
    I'll see your Roy Buchanan and raise you a Rory Gallagher. :)

R.
    Rory Gallagher. :)
    Him I like :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4168
    edited December 2014
    I Don't like Jazz, Punk, Classical, Funk, but I can see why people like it and it's relevance in music.
    I just get the feeling with Hendrix that he is the best because every one said so at the time, so it must be true. 
    We are allowed to look back in retrospect, and the real greats are still great. 
    The truly great pieces of music are great for their composition, not for their time, hence Beethoven, Berry and the Beatles. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72591
    edited December 2014
    But Paganini is also remembered, for his playing and not really his composition. He was something of the Hendrix of violin, by contemporary accounts - I think he even smashed a violin on stage, although I don't think he set fire to one.

It's very interesting to read this (from Wikipedia) and compare to Hendrix...

"The Israeli violinist Ivry Gitlis once referred to Paganini as a phenomenon rather than a development. Though some of the techniques frequently employed by Paganini were already present, most accomplished violinists of the time focused on intonation and bowing techniques. Arcangelo Corelli (1653–1713) was considered a pioneer in transforming the violin from an
    ensemble instrument to a solo instrument. In the meantime, the polyphonic capability of the violin was firmly established hrough the Sonatas and Partitas BWV 1001–1006 of Johann Sebastian Bach (1685–1750). Other notable violinists included Antonio Vivaldi (1678–1741) and Giuseppe Tartini (1692–1770), who, in their compositions, reflected the increasing technical and musical demands on the violinist. Although the role of the violin in music drastically changed through this period, progress in violin technique was steady but slow. Techniques requiring agility of the fingers and the bow were still considered unorthodox and discouraged by the established community of violinists.

Much of Paganini's playing (and his violin composition) was influenced by two violinists, Pietro Locatelli (1693–1746) and August Duranowski (1770–1834). During Paganini's study in Parma, he came across the 24 Caprices of Locatelli (entitled L'arte di nuova modulazione – Capricci enigmatici or The art of the new style – the enigmatic caprices). Published in the 1730s, they were shunned by the musical authorities for their technical innovations, and were forgotten by the musical community at large. Around the same time, Durand, a former student of Giovanni Battista Viotti (1755–1824), became a celebrated violinist. He was renowned for his use of harmonics and the left hand pizzicato in his performance. Paganini was impressed by Durand's innovations and showmanship, which later also became the hallmarks of the young violin virtuoso. Paganini was instrumental in the revival and popularization of these violinistic techniques, which are now incorporated into regular compositions.

Another aspect of Paganini's violin techniques concerned his flexibility. He had exceptionally long fingers and was capable of
    playing three octaves across four strings in a hand span, an extraordinary feat even by today's standards."

There's a lot there which goes along with what's been said about Hendrix not necessarily being a true innovator of all the things he did, but bringing them together in one package. Paganini is still by far the most famous non-contemporary violinist - probably the only one most people have heard of, in fact.

I think Hendrix will be remembered in 200 years as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • koneguitarist said: I Don't like Jazz, Punk, Classical, Funk, but I can see why people like it and it's relevance in music.I just get the feeling with Hendrix that he is the best because every one said so at the time, so it must be true. We are allowed to look back in retrospect, and the real greats are still great. The truly great pieces of music are great for their composition, not for their time, hence Beethoven, Berry and the Beatles.  I think you should listen again to the way in which Hendrix redefined the songs he interpreted - from Johnny B Goode thru several of Dylan's to Sgt Pepper - and if you still don't get it, then maybe you should stick to country "music". 
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30945
    This is just my view- I can genuinely take him or leave him as a solo guitarist.

However, when I hear his rhythm fills and chops are utterly astounding and some of the best I have ever heard.

That's when I, personally, really 'get' Hendrix.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

and if you still don't get it, then maybe you should stick to country "music". 
    Alternatively, he could continue to state His Opinion.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lixarto said:
    and if you still don't get it, then maybe you should stick to country "music". 
    Alternatively, he could continue to state His Opinion.
    To which he is as entitled as anyone else :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Lixarto said:
    Garry Moore is on sky Arts right now playing Jimi songs
    I like some of Gary's stuff (the Celtic rock, not the blues) but had to turn this show off.

So dull.

I quite like Gary and I quite like Jimi but that show is bloody awful.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Good.

Given the state of casual bullying so prevalent on this forum, it was worth saying.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Lixarto said:
    Good.

Given the state of casual bullying so prevalent on this forum, it was worth saying.
    You're one of the main proponents of that you bloody hypocrite!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    Not everything Jimi did was groundbreaking and that is what I believe gets on people's nerves, the fact that as a guitarist you are almost expected to worship each note he played. He did some stuff that's just tedious but he also wrote and played some of the most groundbreaking guitar music written. 

When he was on form he was the most entertaining and forward thinking guitarist of his generation.

Greatness could be measured by influence and it's at this point where Jimi has few peers. 

Another reason could be that he is quite like Mohammed Ali in that in the politically turbulent 60's he transcended race, he was a seen as a guitarist and not a black musician. To many he was the embodiment of the 60's. 

All of these points contribute to why he is so highly thought of. Yes there are better guitarists playing today just as there are no doubt better boxers than Ali but nobody truly transcended thier art like those two did. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_fx said:
    Lixarto said:
    Good.

You're one of the main proponents of that you bloody hypocrite!
    Bans mate innit ?

Wis for ICBM's last. Love Paggers.
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • shaunm said:
    Not everything Jimi did was groundbreaking and that is what I believe gets on people's nerves, the fact that as a guitarist you are almost expected to worship each note he played. He did some stuff that's just tedious but he also wrote and played some of the most groundbreaking guitar music written. 

My proudest moment was when we were watching a vid of Jimi playing in Hawaii and basically getting a bit tedious and self-indulgent (similar to the "We're just jammin' " comment at Woodstock, which itself followed the greatest moment in guitar music history - yes, I'm talking about his utterly awesome, artistically groundbreaking rendition of 'Star-spangled Banner") and my brother said, 'You could do better 'n that." :)
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • I Don't like Jazz, Punk, Classical, Funk, but I can see why people like it and it's relevance in music.
    I just get the feeling with Hendrix that he is the best because every one said so at the time, so it must be true. 
    We are allowed to look back in retrospect, and the real greats are still great. 
    The truly great pieces of music are great for their composition, not for their time, hence Beethoven, Berry and the Beatles. 
    I think you should listen again to the way in which Hendrix redefined the songs he interpreted - from Johnny B Goode thru several of Dylan's to Sgt Pepper - and if you still don't get it, then maybe you should stick to country "music". 
    I have listened to his version of Johnny B Goode, and maybe people are right in how he influenced so many ( Pub guitar god wanna be's mainly ) guitarists.
    I still don't get it, love country music, but I also love Rock are you only allowed one choice? 
    :-\"