Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why is Hendrix so revered amongst guitarists?

What's Hot

Comments

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    I still don't like him, but he's an awful lot better than some other stuff I also don't like :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Lixarto said:
    I still don't like him, but he's an awful lot better than some other stuff I also don't like :)

:)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Lixarto said:
    I do believe you're mellowing, dear boy.  ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @jimmyguitar can you get that as a physical CD or is it a download release? 
    I don't know, looked for it for years on CD but it's definitely on Itunes. 
    Sadly not on Spotify. Shame!
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited December 2014
    But what was so special? Serious question, let's debate the so called ultimate guitar hero.
    you have to put it all into context.. especially time and what was happening just before  and around the time he broke through…
    there were more technically capable players long before him.. classical / Moorish etc.. and jazzers like Django

but more than anything Hendrix was a great innovator..
    not just a very good player.. much more than that..
    he laid the foundation for everything that was to come next in rock guitar..
    and that was far beyond just notes, tones and fx…
    it was the whole live vibe, attitude, fashion… pretty much the entire package..

being able to do something that someone else has done before is one thing.. 
    there are plenty around today that can play Hendrix, Van Halen etc etc..
    but think.. what was the guitar playing world like before they showed up??

after these guys showed up [in guitar / rock music terms] the world changed forever..
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    Even the late great Stevie Ray Vaughan was in awe of Hendrix? Put them both in the same venue with a stage either end I know who I'd rather stand and watch.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    flyingv said:
    Even the late great Stevie Ray Vaughan was in awe of Hendrix? Put them both in the same venue with a stage either end I know who I'd rather stand and watch.
    I'll be at the bar.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    Lixarto said:
    flyingv said:
    I'll be at the bar.

but facing which way! ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Clarky;449477" said:
    koneguitarist said:

But what was so special?

Serious question, let's debate the so called ultimate guitar hero.

you have to put it all into context.. especially time and what was happening just before  and around the time he broke through…there were more technically capable players long before him.. classical / Moorish etc.. and jazzers like Django

but more than anything Hendrix was a great innovator..not just a very good player.. much more than that..he laid the foundation for everything that was to come next in rock guitar..

and that was far beyond just notes, tones and fx…it was the whole live vibe, attitude, fashion… pretty much the entire package..

being able to do something that someone else has done before is one thing.. there are plenty around today that can play Hendrix, Van Halen etc etc..but think.. what was the guitar playing world like before they showed up??

after these guys showed up [in guitar / rock music terms] the world changed forever..
    This in spades.

Jimi also had a depth of composition that few players ever came close to. Albums like Band of Gypsies and Electric Ladyland have stood the test of time and the sheer volume of work he left behind is unreal for a 27 year old in a four year career span.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Evilmags said:
    Clarky;449477" said:
    koneguitarist said:

But what was so special?

Serious question, let's debate the so called ultimate guitar hero.

you have to put it all into context.. especially time and what was happening just before  and around the time he broke through…there were more technically capable players long before him.. classical / Moorish etc.. and jazzers like Django

but more than anything Hendrix was a great innovator..not just a very good player.. much more than that..he laid the foundation for everything that was to come next in rock guitar..

and that was far beyond just notes, tones and fx…it was the whole live vibe, attitude, fashion… pretty much the entire package..

being able to do something that someone else has done before is one thing.. there are plenty around today that can play Hendrix, Van Halen etc etc..but think.. what was the guitar playing world like before they showed up??

This in spades.

Jimi also had a depth of composition that few players ever came close to. Albums like Band of Gypsies and Electric Ladyland have stood the test of time and the sheer volume of work he left behind is unreal for a 27 year old in a four year career span.

Sorry still don't see it myself, apart from a few hits, it's hardly a weath of music left behind.
     I wonder if it's because it was the sixties and everything felt new, as everything he did to me had been done before, but not by one person at same time. He just amalgamated a whole range of stuff at same time, then the best career move of all he died young, so never got chance to become old and safe like Clapton and the like. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If you weren't there, you don't get it.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23066
    edited December 2014
    Fusionista;451290" said:
    If you weren't there, you don't get it.
    I wasn't there - well, I was alive, but too young to be aware of much in the way of popular music beyond "Puff the Magic Dragon".  But I think I get it.

• Good for you. And Puff was good too.
    Yeah, right.
  • If you weren't there, you don't get it.

Maybe you're right, you had to doped up on drugs to appreciate the horrible out of tune, out of time noise, as if you were sober you would have walked out. ;)
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3637
    Lixarto said:
    Yeah, right.
    I think to a certain extent @Fusionista is right.

When Jimi appeared on the scene nobody had ever seen anything like it and he changed rock guitar at a stroke. Before that we  had great playing from Clapton, Green et al but nothing of the pyrotechnic fury and whammy usage that Jimi bought into play. 

I was there and still recall it like yesterday, even his his great stint on "The Lulu show". 

People born after the event can't help but compare Jimi to later players like EVH etc.

Plenty of great players in that genre followed on  but Jimi was the pioneer. 
    :)
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3637

Maybe you're right, you had to doped up on drugs to appreciate the horrible out of tune, out of time noise, as if you were sober you would have walked out. ;)
    You sound like my Dad.  >:D<
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Strikes me as being similar to what Louis Armstrong said to an interviewer who asked him "what is jazz?". His reply: "Man, if you have to ask, you'll never know".

If you have to ask why Hendrix is so revered amongst guitarists, the chances are you're never going to find out.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • C'mon! Being made to watch the Lulu show with Mam and Dad, then Hendrix comes on wailing and squealing. It must have been like seeing a spaceship landing on the lawn!

Some of his live stuff is out of tune and even messy. But watch him at Isle of White, and he's just got that aura. SRV had it too. When the eyes close and he's off soloing in his own world, at one with the gear.

His recorded stuff speaks for itself. To go from a whisper to a scream and all steps in between. People are spending fortunes trying to capture that elusive tone, that he got out of whatever was lying around.

Every one now can hit the net and have the whole world of guitar effects delivered next day. Then turn up at the show and indulgently wah and whammy away (I'll be sticking some of it in at a wedding tomorrow). But Jimi did it first. He was the start of moving the guitar to the front of the stage and making it cool to wail. As well as inspiring every single player that I like. So for that Jimi, I am very grateful!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72574
    I was born a month after Are You Experienced came out, so I was barely "there at the time", and I still get it. I admit I didn't, for quite a while. It's nothing to do with drugs either.

Overall I agree with @Phil_aka_Pip. You'll either get it, in which case the question seems silly, or you won't, in which case you won't understand the answer. That's not a judgement, I don't get a lot of music and players which appear to be well-regarded.

I could ask "why is Roy Buchanan so revered among guitarists?", because I genuinely don't understand why his hideous squealing meandering unmusical soloing is considered good. But I'm OK with that :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein