Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why is Hendrix so revered amongst guitarists?

What's Hot

Comments

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    If you don't get Hendrix and like Gary Moore I really fail to see how you can get Rock as a genre at all...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I love Deep Purple, Whitesnake, Free, Bad Company, Lynyrd Skynyrd not a fan of Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Guns and Roses.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If I like one country band and not another does that mean I don't like country music ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Phil_aka_Pip Country has some serious shit stuff
    Well I was going to say it all is, but as @ToneControl has already pulled me up for for being a bit rude, I'll just admit that I "don't get it". It's not the only thing I "don't get", others include disco, funk, punk, rap and hip-hop. 
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Skarloey said:
    That dude in the black suit who hangs around THAT crossroads at midnight and tunes your guitar...now that is one serious mutha. He would have owned the whole lot of them. And I ain't just talking about owning their asses baby, I'm a talking about owning their SOULS... 

[Exits cackling demonically]. 

:))

Business has really slowed for him since the Polytune came out.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2899
    U dont get funk?
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    If I like one country band and not another does that mean I don't like country music ?
    No, it means if you don't like what Others like, you get bullied.

That is the nature of this forum sadly. Ignore the idiots.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Honestly I wish this term 'bullying' wasn't used so much in the context of this forum. If people feel they or others are being targetted systematically then it needs taking up with the Mods, surely.

I think we're confusing 'bullying' here with what has been in this thread some fairly robust exchanges of opinion.

I was guilty of being fairly forthright in expressing my views when the thread was first active and if anyone took offence then I apologise.

To his credit @koneguitarist has copped a lot of flack (from me included) over Hendrix but has stuck to his guns. There have also been a lot of genuine attempts to answer his original question rather than abusive posts.

Each to his own. Anyway, Merry Christmas lads.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunk said:
    U dont get funk?
    If you meant that for me, yes I don't get it. I had a mate who left the rock/blues band I was in to join a funk band. Went to see them play at The Mean Fiddler. They were all technically excellent, and watching them play was a good experience. However the music left me stone cold.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4168
    edited December 2014
    FWIW I don't get bullied, so no offence taken.
    I think a open discussion on the merits and negatives so to speak about a particular artist is good, but I understand it's an emotive subject, that's why we love it so much. 
    @Phil_aka_Pip, if you think all country is shit, try a listen to this guy Chris Knight, guitar playing is not usual country stuff, but  David Grissom. 

• David Grissom is a fine guitarist.

I must admit, I consider that I don't like "country" music, but I think what I really mean is that I don't like country & western, because I love artists such as Maria McKee / Lone Justice, Storyville (feat. David Grissom), Jason & The Scorchers.

R.
  • @koneguitarist, well there was certainly more grit than the usual syrup in that production plus some more adventurous FX on the guitars, but there's still the typical country beat, the redneck accent, the usual kind of chord progression, and the oft-repeated hammer/pull licks relying on open strings. All the things that turn me off, actually ... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Ooh, an opinion! We can't have that, can we?
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ElxElx Frets: 412
    I've stayed out of this thread so far, but I couldn't resist anymore. This quote by one of my heroes sums it up for me. This is exactly how I feel about Jimi. He was a social phenomenon rather than a guitar phenomenon. Coming from Ritchie, I can totally understand why he would think the way he did. Musically there is no comparison between Ritchie and Jimi, and every one of you who can actually play the guitar know this is true :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JoesaJoesa Frets: 86
    I think you have to listen to other people playing Hendrix songs to get just how good he was. I've heard some great guitarists play Hendrix covers, Satriani, Vai, Marino etc. but they just lack the gentleness, flow and musicality of him. Rhythmically I don't think there's been anyone in the rock genre to match him. He is just so effortless and the amount of shit versions of Little Wing I've heard by other very good guitarists is testimony to that as far as I'm concerned. I would also say that while you can't compare his lead playing to the modern technical guitarist, his recorded solo's are mighty fine as well. I'm not a Hendrix fan-boy really but I'm surprised people are left cold by him. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Reading this thread has given me a lot of food for thought, because I'm really into Blues-y Rock guitar, but I've never quite 'got' Hendrix. On paper, sure I can see the influence he has left, and I can imagine what a mind-blowing thing it must have been to have heard him play back then ...and sure some of the songs are pretty cool but whilst my head says 'yes', my heart's really never fallen for Hendrix...And I think that is what frustrates me the most - the fact that I don't like his stuff as much as I feel I ought to..not 'ought to' because other people like him (other folks' tastes be damned) but ought to in terms of how it seems to tick all the right boxes for me, but still....Nah, not for me.

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2899
    Lixarto;453210" said:
    Ooh, an opinion! We can't have that, can we?
    Hush up Bullybeef ;)