Ash at Oil City answers pickup questions:

What's Hot
14567810»

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10423
    tFB Trader
    In theory absolutely :-) Switching would be fun mind! 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14428
    That is the sort of trick-wiring-for-its-own-sake exhibited in ye olde Adrian Legg guitar customising book. 

At the time, four-conductor + shield output cable was pretty new. Through DiMarzio distributor Rose-Morris, Legg got to attempt all manner of wiring scheme experiments. He documented them in a book. 

One of the schematic diagrams was for two split coils pickups in a bass guitar. Using a 4P3T on/on/on switch, Legg organised things to arrive at;
    Up - bridge pickup coils, in series, in phase.
    Down - neck pickup coils, in series, in phase.
    Centre - neck pickup EA coil, in series, in phase, with bridge pickup DG coil.

I think that the idea was to create a slap sound without recourse to onboard active EQ or passive frequency filtering.

This last example was close to the Fender Electric XII question. As Ash hints, a pig to wire up and I'm not sure that it would sound particularly good. A blend pot might yield a more musical result - à la Rickenbacker "mystery" fifth control knob.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Not sure if this is within the scope of the thread, but could you explain what the Prescision bass split pickup is? My mate and I were having a discussion and i thought it was just a split single coil, whereas he thought of it as a humbucker. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22837
    Kalimna said:
    Not sure if this is within the scope of the thread, but could you explain what the Prescision bass split pickup is? My mate and I were having a discussion and i thought it was just a split single coil, whereas he thought of it as a humbucker. 
    It's kind of both.  But I'll leave that to someone who can explain better.
    edited October 2023 tFB Trader
    As @Philly_Q said, both descriptions are accurate. For a pickup to be hum cancelling  it needs to have two coils, one south magnetic polarity and one north. These coils must be either wound in opposite directions or in the same direction with both start wires or both finish wires connected together so that one coil is effectively backwards to the other.
    It doesn't matter for the hum cancelling if both coils are placed next to each other as in a conventional humbucker, or one is slid across to cover other strings as in a P bass 'humbucker'. What does matter is that with the 'split' design where one coil is moved over, each pickup half is not sensing the same harmonic on the same string in two places, and therefore less of those harmonics are filtered out by the hum cancelling process. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Thank you for your explanation. Much appreciated :)
  • oldfoxyoldfoxy Frets: 39
    If you want scooped you want alnico 5, so in my range that would be the Masterwound Dynamite, the Scrapyard Dog or for a bit more output the Airship Trooper :-)
    The trooper is a pick-up I can thoroughly recommend, brilliant in a Lester
    tFB Trader
    oldfoxy said:
    If you want scooped you want alnico 5, so in my range that would be the Masterwound Dynamite, the Scrapyard Dog or for a bit more output the Airship Trooper :-)
    The trooper is a pick-up I can thoroughly recommend, brilliant in a Lester
    I also find them nice in the neck position of a Tele that has a very loud bridge pickup :-)

• ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    Hey Ash, what's the back story on the ASL Havoc humbuckers? Feline have a couple of sale, but I can't find any info.

Also, you've crossed out the N on the sticker. Does that mean they are neck pickups?

Thanks in advance for the wisdom. 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Elwood said:
    Hey Ash, what's the back story on the ASL Havoc humbuckers? Feline have a couple of sale, but I can't find any info.

Also, you've crossed out the N on the sticker. Does that mean they are neck pickups?

Supplying a few bits of info till Ash get here

No - its a bridge pickup
    Prior to deciding on the Oil City Masterwound Name, Ash was looking for a name for his premium line of pickups and went with his own name for the signature series, but later realised it was better for brand alignment to use a version of the Oil City name. 
    The Havoc was a bit of a take no prisoners kind of pickup - certainly pushing the front end of an amp hard . But being wound with AWG43 rather than AWG44 it was still less compressed sounding in spite of the high (for AWG43) DC resistance.
    The combination of the Alnico 8 with flanking ceramic magnets gave it a more "organic" kind of attack rather than the all out sizzle of a fully ceramic mag beast

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

tFB Trader
    Elwood said:

Supplying a few bits of info till Ash get here

No - its a bridge pickup
    Prior to deciding on the Oil City Masterwound Name, Ash was looking for a name for his premium line of pickups and went with his own name for the signature series, but later realised it was better for brand alignment to use a version of the Oil City name. 
    The Havoc was a bit of a take no prisoners kind of pickup - certainly pushing the front end of an amp hard . But being wound with AWG43 rather than AWG44 it was still less compressed sounding in spite of the high (for AWG43) DC resistance.
    The combination of the Alnico 8 with flanking ceramic magnets gave it a more "organic" kind of attack rather than the all out sizzle of a fully ceramic mag beast
    Jonathon has it completely correct ... and it splits beautifully 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    Thank you, to you both! 
  • TDubsTDubs Frets: 707
    Hi Ash @OilCityPickups ;

Is a tapped Gibson humbucker a reversible modification? If it is reversed, should the pickup, in theory, sound as it did previously?

Cheers

edited December 2023 tFB Trader
    TDubs said:
    Hi Ash @OilCityPickups ;;

Is a tapped Gibson humbucker a reversible modification? If it is reversed, should the pickup, in theory, sound as it did previously?

Cheers

Okay I take it that you mean split rather than tapped ... as in general you tap a single coil and split (or coil shunt) a humbucker. 
    A coil split only changes the pickup's sound when it's switched in ... when one coil is not shunted to ground it sounds completely like an un split humbucker. So to reverse a coil split ... just don't turn it on :-)

• TDubsTDubs Frets: 707
    TDubs said:

Cheers

Okay I take it that you mean split rather than tapped ... as in general you tap a single coil and split (or coil shunt) a humbucker. 
    A coil split only changes the pickup's sound when it's switched in ... when one coil is not shunted to ground it sounds completely like an un split humbucker. So to reverse a coil split ... just don't turn it on :-)
    Thanks for your help here and over message Ash
    tFB Trader
    TDubs said:
    TDubs said:

Cheers

Thanks for your help here and over message Ash
    My pleasure :-)

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14428
    There are some people who claim to hear a difference between output cable formats. e.g. Single conductor + braid versus four conductor + foil/drain. Presumably, the extra distance that the electrons have to travel to the series link and back either delays the signal or loads it via capacitance or something?

This phenomenon may be confined to Eric Johnson, Joe Bonamassa and Nigel Tuffnel.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom