Ash at Oil City answers pickup questions:

What's Hot

Comments

• BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    Barney said:
    Hello Ash ....I have a question regarding the strat neck pickup ...it always seems muddy to me ..I know I can set the amp different but don't want to do that and mess with the other pickups sounds which I like ...is there a correct height or something that would change the tone ?
    Hummmm what Strat neck pickup have you got? Generally the last thing you could level at a Strat neck pickup is muddy. Getting the pickup a bit further from the strings will lower the output and clean up the tone - but if your pickup is for example way overwound that may be the issue. 
    Thanks ...I'm not sure what type it is but it on a Fraser guitar ....but I find it like that on my other strats ...probably with the exception of my strat plus which has lace sensors in 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 539
    Hey Ash, looking forward to getting my 49er/Honkytonk Angel tele set into my current build once it's finished, but I am now starting to plan and source the parts for my next project which is going to be a HSS Strat.  

I was thinking something slightly lower output for the bridge HB, perhaps some kind of underwound PAF type to balance with some slightly beefy singles in the neck. I was looking at Suhr Thornbucker and V60LP singles but a) they're very spendy and b) I'd prefer to support a UK/forum small business.  What would you recommend from your range for this type of thing?  
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10564
    tFB Trader
    My own preference from my 'Standard' range would be A Forces Sweetheart and a pair of StoneTones.
    From my Masterwound I might go Beano and Route 66 or even stick with the StoneTones. 
    Ash 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Nice one, thanks Ash.  I will be in touch. 
    Order in :) can the covers on your strat style pickups be easily removed and replaced with any other standard strat plastics? I’m looking forward to the inevitable headaches with varying shades of not quite white/cream/parchment/aged white etc etc :D 
    tFB Trader
    SteveF said:
    Order in :) can the covers on your strat style pickups be easily removed and replaced with any other standard strat plastics? I’m looking forward to the inevitable headaches with varying shades of not quite white/cream/parchment/aged white etc etc :D 
    Yep ... any covers intended for US spec Strats will fit ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11619
    edited September 2023 tFB Trader
    timmypix said:
    @OilCityPickups Hi Ash,

What are the chief differences between the Scrapyard Dogs and the PAT-63s?

I've got an SG with T-type pickups that are *almost* there, but missing a bit of character. I've got access to a set of SYDs and a PAT-63 bridge, and on paper I think they'll both do what I want. I'll inevitably try both, and from memory I've liked them both in Les Pauls, but it's been a while and I'm curious about the construction/inspiration differences.
    The Scrapyard Dog is similar in many ways to a later T Top, complete with modern winding wire and a 60s/70s style alnico 5.
    The Pat 63 was copied from a pickup that came into my workshop that wasn't even supposed to exist, or that was at the very least a rare transition form.: A Gibson patent number pickup from 1963 (it was in a late 63 guitar with undisturbed wiring), with 60s style short alnico 5 magnet - but clearly PAF bobbins and PVA plain enamel wire like a 59 PAF. 
    The tone was hard hitting and incisive like a T Top, but had smoother overtones like an earlier PAF. 
    I recall the guitar was very early ’63 with parts from ’62 or before . The pickups were wound on the new winder that Gibson had and it had a controlled stop point and a traverse that gave a slightly different distribution of wire across each layer . 
    Im my memory it had long A5 magnets but checking pictures shows otherwise - roughcast A5s

Full thread here

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    Hey Ash - I've been considering a multiscale guitar and the stock pickups have mixed reviews.

Due to the niche market for them, is modifying them a realistic proposition - Or would the work/cost be comparable to just ordering a new set.

Thought I would asks here, instead of e-mailing, as it may be of use to fellow members. 
    tFB Trader
    All sorts of things with multi-scales are not standardised. String spacing, slant angles and even form factor ... many being of an EMG/Soapbar format rather than traditional HB size. The good thing is that most pickup manufacturers now supply some products in the EMG form factor (we do to special order) and can accommodate pretty much any slant angle or string spacing. Some stuff may have to be a bit custom ... but it's pretty much all doable. 
    It's much less easy to adapt ready made pickups ... though it is possible with some ... the results may not look very good!   

• ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    Thanks Ash, very useful. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14507
    Q1) If pushed, which of your Stratocaster replacement pickups would you say has the most similar tone and dynamic response to your Californian model for Telecaster?

Q2) On the Californian, how much room is there under the metal cover for more turns of 42awg copper wire? (7k? 7½k? 8k? More?) 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    tFB Trader
    Q1) If pushed, which of your Stratocaster replacement pickups would you say has the most similar tone and dynamic response to your Californian model for Telecaster?

Q2) On the Californian, how much room is there under the metal cover for more turns of 42awg copper wire? (7k? 7½k? 8k? More?) 

Probably my Triple Blues neck.
    The standard Californian doesn't have a metal cover in order to have a slightly oversized top flatwork ... this allows 6.5k of 42awg wire. Remember Strat flatwork is larger than Tele Flatwork. 
    The limiting factor in the output with 42awg wire is the size of the Tele scratchplate pickup hole ... much smaller than a Strat.

Fender makes their Twisted Tele taller to fit the wire under the cover ... the issue with that I find is that it kills bass response (which is better from a shorter 'squat' coil.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The standard Californian doesn't have a metal cover
    This is useful to know. I narrowly avoided bidding on an eBay listing for a Californian pickup with a weird looking cover. (Spindly fastening tabs.)

Presumably, if the Californian's upper fibreboard plate is the size that you state, a metal cover should not fit over the bobbin. 
    tFB Trader
    The standard Californian doesn't have a metal cover
    This is useful to know. I narrowly avoided bidding on an eBay listing for a Californian pickup with a weird looking cover. (Spindly fastening tabs.)

Presumably, if the Californian's upper fibreboard plate is the size that you state, a metal cover should not fit over the bobbin. 
    I've done a few custom Californians with smaller top plates and covers ... these use 42.5 gauge wire. 

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3884
    edited October 2023
    @OilCityPickups Hi, Ash. I'm assembling an alder/rosewood HH partscaster. I like the description of your Forces Sweetheart set for "sweet and singing without the neck being too plummy" (assume plummy means more clarity and no mud for chords?)

Anyway, I've strung up the guitar and it's quite middy acoustically. I just wanted to check the Forces Sweetheart pups won't push the mids even more and if so, which of your PAF sets are more scooped? Cheers
    Lebarque said:
    (assume plummy means more clarity and no mud for chords?)
    FWIIW, I associate the adjective "plummy" with the tone of fully hollow body Jazz guitars. That could be a Super with PAF humbuckers or Barney Kessel with P90s. Big flatwound strings, neck pickup, tone pot rolled back a bit.

Some Les Pauls and ES-335s have this quality. So do some Telecasters. 
    tFB Trader
    Lebarque said:
    @OilCityPickups Hi, Ash. I'm assembling an alder/rosewood HH partscaster. I like the description of your Forces Sweetheart set for "sweet and singing without the neck being too plummy" (assume plummy means more clarity and no mud for chords?)

Anyway, I've strung up the guitar and it's quite middy acoustically. I just wanted to check the Forces Sweetheart pups won't push the mids even more and if so, which of your PAF sets are more scooped? Cheers
    'Too plummy' would be too round and fat ... and losing definition. The EQ on the Forces Sweetheart is quite flat (as in level) ... so no hump in middle or bass to muddy things up 

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3884
    Lebarque said:

'Too plummy' would be too round and fat ... and losing definition. The EQ on the Forces Sweetheart is quite flat (as in level) ... so no hump in middle or bass to muddy things up 
    Lovely, cheers. Are any of the other PAF sets scooped in the mids?
    tFB Trader
    If you want scooped you want alnico 5, so in my range that would be the Masterwound Dynamite, the Scrapyard Dog or for a bit more output the Airship Trooper :-)

• luckylucky Frets: 19
    @OilCityPickups what would happen if you were to use something like the Fender XII pickups/any pickup where the two halves of the single coil are separate and instead of mounting them immediately next to eachother put for example the EAD strings half near the bridge and the GBE half at the neck? And could you connect one of those coils with multiple coils i.e. to use the the same EAD pickup but connected to one of two GBE pickups in the same way that a strat middle pickup can be combined with the bridge or the neck?