Ash at Oil City answers pickup questions:

What's Hot

Comments

• SteveFSteveF Frets: 537
    Thank you, that's ideal :)  I'm not a fan of the look of the square bobbins on PRS pickups, so that's no issue.  

I actually have a set of Tremontis that came out of the PRS in the first place.  They're not the original pickups I don't think (hang tag says SC250 pups, which I think are similar but not the same as far as I am aware) and it looks like someone has done a bodge job with some of the wire (possibly because the wires were too short, or because IIRC Tremontis came with the bridge uncovered?).  I see from your custom page that you do refurbs etc.  Do you think that this is something that you can tackle? The neck pickup seems fine, just the bridge that's a horror show. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10439
    tFB Trader
    OH DEAR LORD!!! that's like the movie 'Saw' for pickups! Yes I could sort that out, though I may never be able to unsee it! 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Lebarque said:
    Hi, Ash. Still loving my Stonetones, thanks. I'm considering a Thornbucker neck and Thornbucker+ bridge for my 25.5" scale alder/rosewood partscaster. The keywords are clarity, balance, sweetness and versatility. Do you offer anything comparable, since I'd rather give my money to you?  
    My Airship Trooper bridge and a Scrapyard Dog neck or Forces Sweetheart neck should do the trick 
    A touch more sweetness in the - er .... Sweetheart :-) 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 771
    Hummm it may be a 'zombie' pickup - in which case it will need rewound, or it may have a dodgy joint.  - I'd really have to have hands on (I only charge return postage for assessing a pickup). A DC resistance readout would be handy and tell me a lot! If you have a mustimeter you can simply plug a patch lead in the jack socket, turn tone and volume up full, and read between tip and ring. 
    Check all your other solder joints too :-)
    Thank you Ash.

I don't have a multimeter but I know a friend who has one. Will take it over and get it checked. Thanks. 
    tFB Trader
    Neilybob said:
    Hummm it may be a 'zombie' pickup - in which case it will need rewound, or it may have a dodgy joint.  - I'd really have to have hands on (I only charge return postage for assessing a pickup). A DC resistance readout would be handy and tell me a lot! If you have a mustimeter you can simply plug a patch lead in the jack socket, turn tone and volume up full, and read between tip and ring. 
    Check all your other solder joints too :-)
    Thank you Ash.

I don't have a multimeter but I know a friend who has one. Will take it over and get it checked. Thanks. 
    From the exterior they look like standard P Bass pickups, so I would expect the DCR to be about 10.5k if it's much lower then there is bad magic at work, and someone probably needs to shake some bones at it and sacrifice a chicken Keiv. Of course failing that, I can sort it out by non supernatural means :-)

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3868
    edited January 2023
    Lebarque said:
    Hi, Ash. Still loving my Stonetones, thanks. I'm considering a Thornbucker neck and Thornbucker+ bridge for my 25.5" scale alder/rosewood partscaster. The keywords are clarity, balance, sweetness and versatility. Do you offer anything comparable, since I'd rather give my money to you?  
    My Airship Trooper bridge and a Scrapyard Dog neck or Forces Sweetheart neck should do the trick 
    Thanks, mate. Sounds great. If I'm gonna hang them off a pickguard, I need the short legs right?
    tFB Trader
    Lebarque said:
    Lebarque said:
    Thanks, mate. Sounds great. If I'm gonna hang them off a pickguard, I need the short legs right?
    Yep that's right, and indeed many Strat/Tele guitars can't take long leg pickups without extra routing. And for others, many PRS guitars require short legs in the neck position and in at least one model, short pole screws.
    My advice to everyone is that you can put a short leg humbucker in pretty much any guitar - if needed by using shorter springs. So if in doubt order short legs (or ask me lol). 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ash - I liked your blog post on sustainability, can you offer those fibreboard bobbins on any/all pickups?

https://www.oilcitypickups.co.uk/single-post/oil-city-and-nickel

tFB Trader
    Ash - I liked your blog post on sustainability, can you offer those fibreboard bobbins on any/all pickups?

https://www.oilcitypickups.co.uk/single-post/oil-city-and-nickel

I can on pickups with double slug coils and ones with slug magnets.
    Any of my humbuckers can be done this way, but only with double slugs. This has very little impact on the sound, just the slugs are obviously not adjustable for height (though they can be radiused to the fingerboard curve.

• Cool cool, good to know - thank you!
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 815
    Dear Ash
    I’m fascinated by your calibre 5/3 pickups (AlNiCo 5 & 3)

I note that you don’t offer that in your Master Wound range, is that because that particular recipe works better with modern poly wire?
    edited February 2023 tFB Trader
    It's actually because my Masterwound range is almost infinitely customizable - so if you want an Origin Strat set with Calibre 5/4 poles, or a Route 66 - then all you have to do is ask :-)
    PS - all wire 'sounds' the same ... don't let the cork sniffers tell you otherwise. It's just the thickness of the insulation that changes the way a pickup can be 'laid up' and thus its sound. 
    In general PVA plain enamel wire has a thinner coating than either poly or 'Heavy Fomvar' Poly sit's in the middle with coating thickness and Heavy formvar is thickest.
    Poly thus produces coils that sound slap bang in the middle between PVA PE and Formvar - it's not any form of poor relation to either
    It's a bit more 'raw' than PVA PE, but not as 'raw' as Formvar. . 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14432
    Er, slightly germane to the previous question from @jaymenon ;

Were Calibre 5/3 pickups ever part of your limited run 2012/2022 offer?

Right now, an eBay seller is listing (amongst other things) a trio of single coil pickups with what look like authentic OCP "2012" model ID labels on the underside. The rod magnets are hand bevelled quite crudely - as if had done the task.  :3

The bugger has added a healthy mark up on the 2022 offer price!
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    edited February 2023 tFB Trader
    Er, slightly germane to the previous question from @jaymenon ;;

Right now, an eBay seller is listing (amongst other things) a trio of single coil pickups with what look like authentic OCP "2012" model ID labels on the underside. The rod magnets are hand bevelled quite crudely - as if had done the task.  3

I will hunt them down ... and reply
    Update:

There are several sets of authentic 'offer' Strat sets on eBay including a Cal53 set.

Once people buy my pickups I really have no control over what they sell them for ... if they can make a killing then good luck to them - we all have a living to make, and nobody is forcing anyone to buy them. 

As to the pole pieces, they are hand bevelled and have not been photographed particularly flatteringly. I've never had any complaints about oil city magnet tops, but for the record here's what our hand bevelled magnets look like. In this case Custom Sycorax middle pickup for Blackmachine.

• ChairsChairs Frets: 52
    Looking to replace the pickups in my PRS CU24. I've narrowed it down to either the Blackbird or Blackbird Ulfberht. I want that harmonic complexity and I'm usually higher gain than most. I will be wiring them up with a series/parallel switch.

I can see the originals are A4 Neck @ 9.7k, A5 Bridge @ 13k. I'm presuming the Ulfberht neck and bridge aren't both ceramic, and do you have approx readings for the resistance?

Both seem capable of clarity and complexity under high gain. Is there any reason I'd choose one over the other?
    I've been around since MusicRadar as Schpudd. Current feedback here. Or eBay feedback on request.
    tFB Trader
    Chairs said:
    Looking to replace the pickups in my PRS CU24. I've narrowed it down to either the Blackbird or Blackbird Ulfberht. I want that harmonic complexity and I'm usually higher gain than most. I will be wiring them up with a series/parallel switch.

I can see the originals are A4 Neck @ 9.7k, A5 Bridge @ 13k. I'm presuming the Ulfberht neck and bridge aren't both ceramic, and do you have approx readings for the resistance?

Both seem capable of clarity and complexity under high gain. Is there any reason I'd choose one over the other?
    Ulfbehrt Bridge is closer to 14k to match its ceramic magnet, and the neck Ulfbehrt is availiable either A5 or ceramic and is 9.9k (approx).
    The Ulfbehrt has a tighter bass from the magnet choice - so better if you down-tune or are a hyper-bottom-end-chug kinda person. 

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14432
    Update: There are several sets of authentic 'offer' Strat sets on eBay including a Cal53 set.
    Thank you for confirmation.

Neither Jay nor I could recall which of your Stratocaster-derived models had featured in the special offer production runs.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 815

Right now, an eBay seller is listing (amongst other things) a trio of single coil pickups with what look like authentic OCP "2012" model ID labels on the underside. The rod magnets are hand bevelled quite crudely - as if had done the task.  3

Update:

There are several sets of authentic 'offer' Strat sets on eBay including a Cal53 set.

That’s a pity Ash, I didn’t know that the Calibre 5/3 was part of your offer. All I saw were the stone tones - I would’ve jumped at a set of calibres…

awww well next time lucky…
    tFB Trader
    jaymenon said:

Update:

That’s a pity Ash, I didn’t know that the Calibre 5/3 was part of your offer. All I saw were the stone tones - I would’ve jumped at a set of calibres…

awww well next time lucky…
    There'll be another one around soon :-) 

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    edited March 2023
    OilCityPickups said: There'll be another one around soon :-) 

I'm looking for a single 7 String fan fret bridge sloping pickup, I like warm clean sound with no icepick high treble.

I play Jazz(ish) stuff.

Any suggestions?

It's for my latest build/assembly.

This:

Obviously, the pickup has to have sloping sides.

The bridge pickup from these pickups would be nice, with double transparent coils:

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."