Ash at Oil City answers pickup questions:

What's Hot

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10574
    edited March 2023 tFB Trader
    Hi guy. The clear bobbin 7 string slanted pickups are custom order and fully hand made ... bobbins as well. We do them but they are not cheap. PM me to chat 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 830
    edited March 2023
    This:

It would be completely awesome if the slant of the pole pieces was accurately matched to the slant of the pickups, such that the two pole pieces for each string were aligned perfectly...

Sonically - no difference

But in terms of precision & attention to detail - awesome
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2023 tFB Trader
    jaymenon said:
    This:

It would be completely awesome if the slant of the pole pieces was accurately matched to the slant of the pickups, such that the two pole pieces for each string were aligned perfectly...

With our pickups they always are 'bang in line' as our slant angles and pole spacing are custom for each clear bobbin 7 pickup we build. So provided we are given the correct slant angle all will line up perfectly. The pickup in the picture is not one of ours.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    @OilCityPickups said:

many PRS guitars require short legs in the neck position and in at least one model, short pole screws.
    My S2 Standard 22 needs short legs in both positions and short screws in the bridge position
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 745
    edited March 2023
    jaymenon said:
    This:

With our pickups they always are 'bang in line' as our slant angles and pole spacing are custom for each clear bobbin 7 pickup we build. So provided we are given the correct slant angle all will line up perfectly. The pickup in the picture is not one of ours.

The picture is of my guitar build that needs a good quality pickup. I've emailed your OilCity email at gazette@oilcitypickups.co.uk for suggestions, many thanks.

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    tFB Trader
    roberty said:
    @OilCityPickups said:

many PRS guitars require short legs in the neck position and in at least one model, short pole screws.
    My S2 Standard 22 needs short legs in both positions and short screws in the bridge position
    Exactly ... if I remember correctly it's because there's more meat in the neck joint than say a  Gibson LP 

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    roberty said:
    @OilCityPickups said:

Exactly ... if I remember correctly it's because there's more meat in the neck joint than say a  Gibson LP 
    They do something, it is freakishly resonant
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 830
    Oil City telecaster neck pickup covers - are they nickel plated or chrome plated please?
    edited April 2023 tFB Trader
    The earliest Tele neck pickups are brass and appear at lest to be chrome plated rather than nickel plated - although many early ones have corroded and been scratched to the point it's practically impossible to tell. Since the early days Fender appear to have used both nickel plated and chrome plated through the years. Today all the neck covers are nickel (it's more transparent to the signal than brass) and are chrome plated I believe. I will check next time I have a modern one in for rewind :-) 
    Oh and our neck covers are nickel and nickel plated - and chrome is a custom option you just have to ask for.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27143
    If I wanted an alternative set of pickups for a strat and had various hankerings for Tele or PAFs bridge pickups but also Firebirds, what would you go for? I'm a clean-crunch guy playing a mix of indie/alt, soul, americana so let's assume no need for anything louder than ACDC...  

HSS? Tele-S-FB? FB-FB-FB? Just a simple H-FB?

Can you get workable strat position 2/4 sounds from FB-based pairings? 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    tFB Trader
    The spacings of the bobbins in a Firebird pickup means the harmonic 'effect' of 2/4 is not very pronounced, though it is there.
    I probably might go myself for an HSH with a PAF bridge, a proper strat middle for quackery, and a Winterizer 2 Firebird in a HB case in the neck position -  you'd end up with a Swiss Army Knife guitar! .

The spacings of the bobbins in a Firebird pickup means the harmonic 'effect' of 2/4 is not very pronounced, though it is there.
    I probably might go myself for an HSH with a PAF bridge, a proper strat middle for quackery, and a Winterizer 2 Firebird in a HB case in the neck position -  you'd end up with a Swiss Army Knife guitar! .
    Ta - that’s the sort of thing I’m thinking, at least to try out. I’ve never had anything HSS or any sort of FB pickups so it feels like a fun thing to try with my “spare” Strat. 

Though also tempted by a simple PAF+FB without a middle pickup, but I guess j could also tweak to that later if the middle & mixed positions aren’t satisfying. 
    tFB Trader
    Absolutely :-)
    Firebird pickups are a revelation if you've never tried them before.  

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14517
    tempted by a simple PAF+FB without a middle pickup, but I guess I could also tweak to that later if the middle & mixed positions aren’t satisfying. 
    Apologies for butting in but …

Signal blending in the *both pickups on* selection benefits greatly from individual volume pots for each pickup.

hankerings for Tele or PAFs bridge pickups but also Firebirds, what would you go for?
    The Tele bridge, Firebird neck combination works wonders in the Fender Hot Rod '52 Telecaster. In OCP terms, you would be looking at the Big Block and Winterizer II models.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    tempted by a simple PAF+FB without a middle pickup, but I guess I could also tweak to that later if the middle & mixed positions aren’t satisfying. 
    Apologies for butting in but …

Signal blending in the *both pickups on* selection benefits greatly from individual volume pots for each pickup.

hankerings for Tele or PAFs bridge pickups but also Firebirds, what would you go for?
    The Tele bridge, Firebird neck combination works wonders in the Fender Hot Rod '52 Telecaster. In OCP terms, you would be looking at the Big Block and Winterizer II models.
    Ta - that all sounds aligned with my thinking. If I go 2 pickups I'll stick with 2x vols and master tone for sure. 

I'm well convinced by an FB in the neck, I just need to decide on the others
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    Hello Ash ....I have a question regarding the strat neck pickup ...it always seems muddy to me ..I know I can set the amp different but don't want to do that and mess with the other pickups sounds which I like ...is there a correct height or something that would change the tone ?
    tFB Trader
    Barney said:
    Hello Ash ....I have a question regarding the strat neck pickup ...it always seems muddy to me ..I know I can set the amp different but don't want to do that and mess with the other pickups sounds which I like ...is there a correct height or something that would change the tone ?
    Hummmm what Strat neck pickup have you got? Generally the last thing you could level at a Strat neck pickup is muddy. Getting the pickup a bit further from the strings will lower the output and clean up the tone - but if your pickup is for example way overwound that may be the issue. 

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2402
    @OilCityPickups Hi Ash,

What are the chief differences between the Scrapyard Dogs and the PAT-63s?

I've got an SG with T-type pickups that are *almost* there, but missing a bit of character. I've got access to a set of SYDs and a PAT-63 bridge, and on paper I think they'll both do what I want. I'll inevitably try both, and from memory I've liked them both in Les Pauls, but it's been a while and I'm curious about the construction/inspiration differences.
    Tim
    tFB Trader
    timmypix said:
    @OilCityPickups Hi Ash,

What are the chief differences between the Scrapyard Dogs and the PAT-63s?

I've got an SG with T-type pickups that are *almost* there, but missing a bit of character. I've got access to a set of SYDs and a PAT-63 bridge, and on paper I think they'll both do what I want. I'll inevitably try both, and from memory I've liked them both in Les Pauls, but it's been a while and I'm curious about the construction/inspiration differences.
    The Scrapyard Dog is similar in many ways to a later T Top, complete with modern winding wire and a 60s/70s style alnico 5.
    The Pat 63 was copied from a pickup that came into my workshop that wasn't even supposed to exist, or that was at the very least a rare transition form.: A Gibson patent number pickup from 1963 (it was in a late 63 guitar with undisturbed wiring), with 60s style short alnico 5 magnet - but clearly PAF bobbins and PVA plain enamel wire like a 59 PAF. 
    The tone was hard hitting and incisive like a T Top, but had smoother overtones like an earlier PAF. 

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2402
    Thanks Ash! So when you say 60s/70s style A5 compared to a 60s short style, is that to say a "full size" A5 as opposed to short?

Looking forward to seeing how they both get on with this SG at any rate.
    Tim