2019 (Bristol) South West Jam Song List Discussion

What's Hot

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    So what usually happens..... does the song nominator supply the chord/arrangement notes? Do we have stands for them? Does the singer sort out lyrics or should the nominator bring copies? Or de we all try and learn them off by heart and just wing it? 
    Just learn em then play em...simples ;-)

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    spark240 said:
    So what usually happens..... does the song nominator supply the chord/arrangement notes? Do we have stands for them? Does the singer sort out lyrics or should the nominator bring copies? Or de we all try and learn them off by heart and just wing it? 
    I expect there'll be some eye contact and meaningful nodding
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3024
    edited May 2019
    roberty said:
    spark240 said:
    I think we’ll need a lot of it during ironman....a lot of changes
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    roberty said:
    spark240 said:
    I think we’ll need a lot of it during ironman....a lot of changes
    Oh good, so it's not just me then ;-)

A lot of the changes are cued off the vocal and lead just guitar. I doubt even Sabbath played it the same every night back then
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 88
    Question for those down to play on All Right Now from a rank amateur - what (if anything) does the rhythm guitar play during the solo's?
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Brocco said:
    Question for those down to play on All Right Now from a rank amateur - what (if anything) does the rhythm guitar play during the solo's?
    Just the three chords over and over, but it doesn't need to be too loud

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Brocco said:
    Just the three chords over and over, but it doesn't need to be too loud
    Isn't it just an A throughout the solos?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14428
    A, G, D/F#
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    edited May 2019
    I don't want to be the diva, but is there any chance of changing the scheduled times a little bit? I realized I've screwed things up by volunteering for 10 songs, but I'm down for 7 back to back including 4 changes between guitar and bass! 

At least could we swap the order of Just Like Heaven and My Hero so I'm doing 3 songs on bass then 3 on guitar before back to bass. 

But if we could move Just Like Heaven to later on the day that would be better.

I should say, I'm down to do nothing in the second set, so if I'm wanted to play bass on Comfortably Numb, Sit Down, Rocks, and My Hero in the afternoon session, I'm happy to do that.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7421
    A bit of a self-interested blog post from me that's relevant to proceedings:

I used to a) sing in a functions band and b) play guitar in sing in a pub band - but some years back out of the blue was struck with anxiety-related illness (no connection to music) 

These days it doesn't affect my life at all - except in all things music. I can noodle for my own pleasure but any time I think about practicing with a purpose to perform it all kicks in. 

I've put my name down as (I think) 2nd guitarist and/or singer on Born To Be Wild I think (it was in our set) and deliberately didn't volunteer for anything else in case I wasn't able to overcome things.

It turns out that was a good plan as every time I see this thread bump I get palpations lol 

It's really odd being reminded of how that feels when it's been entirely absent from my life for so long, but just to say, that's where eI'm at - I'll do my best, it'll probably be fine, and I'll probably be frustrated that I didn't volunteer for or prep more when the day comes - but I'll have enjoyed myself nonetheless. 

Looking forward to hanging out 

Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6813
    No problem TimmyO, we can all turn our backs away or you can sit on a stool and look at the wall if it helps. There’s absolutely no pressure, it’s about playing music together. I’m sure there will be Cock ups and we can always run through stuff again. I’ll bring a few song charts in case you want to join in any others for a second run through.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14428
    mrkb said:
    I’m sure there will be cock ups
    The secret is to keep a straight face and play the mistake a second time. Make the audience believe that it was intentional. This is the basis of avant grade free Jazz. :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Ok, having thought about the schedule a bit more, and looked carefully at who's playing what, can I be so bold as to propose the following as a complete re-write of the order for the day. I've tried to ensure
    1) that we start with some relatively easy songs,
    2) that nobody is playing more than 3 songs in a row, and
    3) we don't start with a 6 minute song that, while fun for the guitarist, is a boring dirge for the backing band. :)

I've moved quite a few of the "line up #2" songs into the first half of the day, and some of the "line up #1" songs to the second, to balance who's playing when. I've kept the line up for each song exactly as on the google sheet.

I hope this is a helpful suggestion, not just me interfering. But please feel free to tell me to bog off if you want to keep with the original plan. :)

Time  Song  Line Up    Drums  Vocals  Bass  Guitar 1 (solo)  Guitar 2  Guitar 3  
    11:00  Teenage Kicks  #1    Conor  Legionreturns  mart  mrkb  Legionreturns    
    11:10  Sit Down  #1    Conor  Legionreturns  mart  Legionreturns  Spark240    
    11:20  My Hero  #1    Conor  mrkb  mart  roberty  Spark240    
    11:30  Rocks  #2      Nickos236    Spark240  Bernie H    
    11:40  Motorcycle Emptiness  #1    Conor  Legionreturns  roberty  mart  mrkb    
    11:50  Ironman  #2      Nickos236      Nickos236  Spark240  
    12:00  All Right Now  #1    Conor  TimmyO  Legionreturns  mart  Spark240    
    12:10  Be Yourself  #1    Conor  mrkb  roberty  Vibetronic  Brocco  mrkb  
    12:20  Rock And Roll  #1    Conor  roberty  Legionreturns  Vibetronic  Spark240    
    12:30  Pump It Up  #1    Conor  mart  Funkfingers  Spark240  Bernie H    
    12:40  Just Like Heaven  #1    Conor  roberty  roberty  mart  MagicPigDetective    
    12:50  My Hero  #2      Nickos236    Spark240  Nickos236     
    13:00  Comfortably Numb  #1    mrkb  mart  Legionreturns  mart  clarkefan  Spark240  
    13:20  Rocks  #1    Conor  mrkb  mart  MagicPigDetective  mrkb    
    13:30  You Really Got Me  #1    Conor  roberty  Spark240  Vibetronic  clarkefan    
    13:40  All Right Now  #2        Spark240  roberty  Brocco  Bernie H  
    13:50  Born to Be Wild  #1    Conor  TimmyO  mart  mrkb  TimmyO    
    14:00  Teenage Kicks  #2        Spark240    Brocco  Bernie H  
    14:10  Comfortably Numb  #2    Conor      roberty  mrkb    
    14:30  Sit Down  #2      Nickos236    Spark240  Nickos236  Bernie H  
    14:40  Ironman  #1    Conor  roberty  roberty  MagicPigDetective      

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    edited May 2019
    @mart no issue restructuring the set, but might be worth putting the songs with full line ups on the first run...?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    spark240 said:
    @mart no issue restructuring the set, but might be worth putting the songs with full line ups on the first run...?

Yes, that would be good. I tried to do that where possible, but it made it hard to avoid folk having several songs back to back.
    Order seems OK, but I’d be very surprised if each song can be done in 10 mins (might be better to have 15 mins per song), and also will it start at 11? It’ll take an hour to get setup so is the venue open for us to start setting up at 10? I’ve got a 2 hour drive so need to get up early- what time is it booked from?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    The venue is booked from 10am until 6pm but the live room set-list will run from 11-5 (we have allowed an hour for set-up/break-down).
    Brocco said:
    The venue is booked from 10am until 6pm but the live room set-list will run from 11-5 (we have allowed an hour for set-up/break-down).
    That’s great, I’ll be leaving home at 8am then!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    mrkb said:
    Brocco said:
    That’s great, I’ll be leaving home at 8am then!
    That'll be leaving at half 5 then... and I've got most of the recording kit. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    @Legionsreturns - we'll have a cuppa waiting!