Buying a car

What's Hot

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24310
    Emp_Fab said:
    dissapointed Yeah.... you’re right.  Thinking about it again and watching videos of people trying to sit in the back of the CRZs with bent necks, I thought “what’s the point in getting a 2+2 that has completely unusable rear seats?”.  Unless we start adopting dwarves, they are a waste of space.

I still have friends, so a 2 seater isn’t what I’m after and that’s effectively what the CRZ is.

I think maybe I should just abandon all hope of getting anything that looks nice and just get a boring, reliable box on wheels.  pensive 
    Or just accept it's a 2 seater with storage space at the back.  Or at a push, space to go no more than 15mins or they should get a taxi.   It's your car, buy a car that you want, you are allowed to be a little selfish.

YEAH !!!!  (Can you see how easily influenced I am ?)  Right on Brother !  OKAAAY...  So it's back to the 2+2 sports cars !!!

Does anyone know where you can get chest wigs ?
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11876
    Especially if you have access to a 2nd car then it shouldn't be an issue at all.
    Well, not a car, it's a van with two seats, so....
    Emp_Fab said:
    Well, not a car, it's a van with two seats, so....

So even more space ! 

Seriously, don't buy a car that you don't want for the 2 occasions that someone will get into the back for 5mins for a trip to the shop.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    So Gove and Corbyn entertaining Extinction Rebellion and considering their wishes to ban all petrol and diesel cars by 2025... that'll be good for the motor trade and related then...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    So Gove and Corbyn entertaining Extinction Rebellion and considering their wishes to ban all petrol and diesel cars by 2025... that'll be good for the motor trade and related then...
    At least we have reasonably priced, extensive and efficient public transport system to rely on. Heaven forbid if the powers that be did something stupid like removing a massive number of bus services.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701
    This has been going for so long, why not a petrol?
    Having come from a long line of Diesel company cars I'm loving the switch to petrol.  My focus has similar torque to the average 2L diesel but the power keeps on going rather than running out of steam after the initial push.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    Having come from a long line of Diesel company cars I'm loving the switch to petrol.  My focus has similar torque to the average 2L diesel but the power keeps on going rather than running out of steam after the initial push.

I’m not getting on as well with petrol really. We had a 3 litre v6 diesel before and although our 2 litre petrol is allegedly the same in bhp and torque, it’s nothing like it to drive. Put your foot down in the diesel and it just shot forward, the petrol thinks about it for a second or so and then goes. It’s worst when you’re cruising on the motorway and want that instant push to overtake. 
    boogieman said:

I’m not getting on as well with petrol really. We had a 3 litre v6 diesel before and although our 2 litre petrol is allegedly the same in bhp and torque, it’s nothing like it to drive. Put your foot down in the diesel and it just shot forward, the petrol thinks about it for a second or so and then goes. It’s worst when you’re cruising on the motorway and want that instant push to overtake. 
    BHP is top speed, Torque is the initial push.

The delay is because of the turbo.  You still need a larg-ish engine if you want to pull off quickly, with a good gearbox.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Well, I decided to be sensible and go and look at a Kia Cee'd - with the intention of buying it.  It still has the manufacturer's warranty on it until 2021.  I checked it out but....  naaah...  it's pretty poor on the build quality front.  Basically a dirt cheap car trying to look quality by the use of bits of plastic trim.  I opened the glove box, the door was ridiculouly light, a blow-moulded hollow polypropylene affair and on the inside you could see the seams from the mould.  Looking at the top ot the doors, you could see the welds at either end of the top horizontal above the glass, and the grinding marks where they had flattened them a little, under the paint.  From a distance it looked the part but that all unraveled once you looked closer.

I think I need to stick to established marques rather than the Jong-Li-come-lately brands.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701
    boogieman said:

What car is it?  

Depends on the engine really, mine is a small turbo so spools quickly and there's no lag.  You can often sort out lag with a decent remap, not so much to add power as to improve response as long as it is a decent map and not just turn the boost max rubbish.

That said not much will keep up or feel as quick as a 3l V6 D
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72349
    Emp_Fab said:
    Well, I decided to be sensible and go and look at a Kia Cee'd - with the intention of buying it.  It still has the manufacturer's warranty on it until 2021.  I checked it out but....  naaah...  it's pretty poor on the build quality front.  Basically a dirt cheap car trying to look quality by the use of bits of plastic trim.  I opened the glove box, the door was ridiculouly light, a blow-moulded hollow polypropylene affair and on the inside you could see the seams from the mould.  Looking at the top ot the doors, you could see the welds at either end of the top horizontal above the glass, and the grinding marks where they had flattened them a little, under the paint.  From a distance it looked the part but that all unraveled once you looked closer.

I think I need to stick to established marques rather than the Jong-Li-come-lately brands.
    The Jong-Li-come-lately brands have an excellent record for reliability and come with a transferrable manufacturer's 7-year full warranty.

My daughter has one, it's an excellent little car.

Do you *really* care about welds in the top of the doors or the quality of the glove box door, or are you just being silly now? ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Emp_Fab said:

The Jong-Li-come-lately brands have an excellent record for reliability and come with a transferrable manufacturer's 7-year full warranty.

My daughter has one, it's an excellent little car.

Do you *really* care about welds in the top of the doors or the quality of the glove box door, or are you just being silly now? ;).
    I think deep down he wants a badge, one that has been around longer.  It's fine, I am a badge snob too, nothing wrong with that!
    RaymondLin said:

I think deep down he wants a badge, one that has been around longer.
    Kia was founded in 1944.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    RaymondLin said:

I think deep down he wants a badge, one that has been around longer.
    Kia was founded in 1944.
    But not as well known and established to the west as Honda
    RaymondLin said:

Kia has still been around longer though :).

• ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    ICBM said:
    RaymondLin said:

Kia has still been around longer though :).
    But didn't make cars till 1974. 1963 for Honda.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3905
    If I had 6 grand to spend I’d get a FDSH BMW. 10 years old LCI 3 series with high miles, well specced, big (easily and cheaply tuneable) 6 cylinder turbo diesel. You’ll get reliability, build quality, power and fun driving. 

Oh. I’ve just described my car, sorry.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Am I the only one that thinks modern Honda's are absolutely hideous? Most of the "sporty" models look like a sketch a 7 year old would draw.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    “I want something that makes me feel sexy.”

“But no visible weld seams or blow-moulded polypropylene glovebox lids.”

You've exposed the motor industry’s marketing paradox right there. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom