Gibson warning video over trademark infringements

What's Hot

Comments

• pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    as @Kittyfrisk said, the V shape is in the list of issues Gibson are taking to Dean. I think it was this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQhoDpjvKh4
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19038
    T'was only 4 posts back  ;)

Another interesting read (well I like reading)  https://reverb.com/uk/news/remember-when-gibson-tried-to-market-a-hendrix-signature-strat
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5187
    Here’s my favourite YouTuber’s take on it...

https://youtu.be/MSOZ2jjBWiA
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tone1 said:
    Here’s my favourite YouTuber’s take on it...

https://youtu.be/MSOZ2jjBWiA
    The poster makes a lot of sense & you can hear his sincerity, dignity & pain.

But... have you seen the state of the fit of that bridge??
    Not to mention the wear on the cheap overprinted pickguard/scratchplate?

I may be the only pedant person who feels this way, but I really got really pissed off at Gibson for going to cheap shit printed trussrod covers etc. instead of engraved items.

OK, rant over. Past my bedtime, probably missed my meds.
    Nurse!!!!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • God I love that man.

Bye!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    God I love that man.
    Bill would probably sanction man love, with or without deities...
    Genius, much missed :+1: 
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5869
    I realise it's out there that Gibson have "borrowed" stuff from earlier stringed instruments, like the Mandolin with the Open Book Headstock, but was wondering if this Guild in the Vid was "pre Gibson"

Was checking out some Rockabilly stuff earlier.

What a player he is by the way!
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7082
    tFB Trader
    Guild was formed from ex-Epiphone employees who didn't join Gibson when they bought the company, so no.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • pmgpmg Frets: 299
    I know nowhere near enough about copyright, intellectual property etc.   I can understand Gibson wanting to protect their designs however I wonder if their “6 aside” headstock is unique enough to avoid comparisons with fenders?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72677
    Kittyfrisk said:

The poster makes a lot of sense & you can hear his sincerity, dignity & pain.

But... have you seen the state of the fit of that bridge??
    Not to mention the wear on the cheap overprinted pickguard/scratchplate?

I may be the only pedant person who feels this way, but I really got really pissed off at Gibson for going to cheap shit printed trussrod covers etc. instead of engraved items.
    What an utterly tedious and pointless video. I gave up after a couple of minutes, I couldn't stand any more of the aimless whingeing.

What's wrong with the bridge? It looks OK, it just has a compensated saddle. Pickguard wear like that is normal on old ones too if they're fairly well-used, the grooves the paint goes in aren't very deep.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Fair enough, I was trying to be a tad tongue in cheek, but my experience with old Hummingbirds is fairly limited.

I still replaced my modern (1990's onwards) Gibson TRC's with cheap aftermarket ones that annoyingly are a great improvement on the genuine authentic ones.
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4205
    edited June 2019
    I'm not sure there's much I can add to this after 12 pages... I will say this though: I've commented in several other threads about how my LTD was a better guitar than my Les Paul, and how idea if I was in the market for a singlecut now I'd be looking at plenty of other manufacturers. That hasn't changed, but I'm definitely feeling a little less 'meh, Gibson' and more 'fuck you Gibson' as a result of all this.

I had a Dean Cadillac for a while btw, and it was a thing of beauty. Weighed a ton though (but not neck-heavy, even with that massive headstock), and the pickups were pretty microphonic.  Wish I hadn't got rid of it...

https://flic.kr/p/5grj5n

Edit: and now I really want one of these:
    https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Dean-Cadillac-1980-Classic-White/203N
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4175
    I'm just waiting for the next Agnesi YT video for Gibson. Dude's gonna get slaughtered.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2914
    He's taking it pretty well on Instagram, reposting some of the memes. I kinda feel a bit bad for him now, he's only doing his job and it likely wasn't all his idea but as the face of Gibson he's the scapegoat.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    TTBZ said:
    He's taking it pretty well on Instagram, reposting some of the memes. I kinda feel a bit bad for him now, he's only doing his job and it likely wasn't all his idea but as the face of Gibson he's the scapegoat.
    That’s the only way he can play it. Other wise he’ll look like an even bigger dick than he did in the video. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2914
    Yeah. Unfortunately for him his credibility is nonexistent now.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1947
    TTBZ said:
    Yeah. Unfortunately for him his credibility is nonexistent now.
    TBH, I'd barely heard of him until this debacle. He will probably do well out of it in the long term. It's not like people think he wrote the script and he's has a huge amount of publicity from it. 

The real losers will be Gibson. It's really, really fucked up Gibson's post Henry revival in such a spectacular style. This is supposed to be a clean slate after all the crazy business orientated BS they have been through and a chance to rebuild bridges with the guitar community.

They also appear to be reviving the 'Only a Gibson is good enough' tagline. God, that is the dumbest, most arrogant slogan ever. I thought it was shit in the 80's when I first saw it on those cheapskate black and white adverts in Guitar Player slagging off other brands and seems even worse now. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72677
    "Epiphone... when 'good enough' just isn't good enough."

- Epiphone advertising slogan from the 1940s, when they were still a separate company. Gibson dropped the 'good enough' logo straight away!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philtre said:
    I'm just waiting for the next Agnesi YT video for Gibson. Dude's gonna get slaughtered.
    Expect the comments section to be disabled 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom