Gibson warning video over trademark infringements

What's Hot

Comments

• StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    I suppose if we want to recreate the authentic Gibson model I'd better learn to build them pissed up.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Gibson couldn't organise a two car funeral. 

So this is what Norm's boy has been brought in to do? 

I'm all for stopping the fakers, not making them piss themselves laughing. 

Back to the drawing board yer empty headed bollocks...

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 538
    Philtre said:
    So does this mean that Gibson are going to go after the likes of Eastman Guitars with their "Mickey Mouse Ears" and "Moustache" headstock?
    I just like that they quoted someone else's trademark to illustrate what their trademark is! :lol: 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    edited June 2019
    I dare say ESP via Navigator, Edwards, Tokai, Heritage and Collings + Eastman could all be potential targets

I very much doubt so, for Japanese brands, Gibson doesn't really have a leg to stand on... Navigator in particular is a fully domestic brand, not distributed outside Japan. They can use Gibson's headstock all day and night. Maybe gibson should focus on making decent guitars.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    IMO If Gibson were making their guitars to the actual spec of the late 50's (correct logo, tailpiece position etc) then they wouldn't need to post this video. 

They can't imo, they just take too long to get them made, just the finish alone could be month's, they'd also have to use different laquer then get rid of murphy and do it properly 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14304
    tFB Trader
    brooom said:
    I dare say ESP via Navigator, Edwards, Tokai, Heritage and Collings + Eastman could all be potential targets

I very much doubt so, for Japanese brands, Gibson doesn't really have a leg to stand on... Navigator in particular is a fully domestic brand, not distributed outside Japan. They can use Gibson's headstock all day and night. Maybe gibson should focus on making decent guitars.

I don't think they should be targets, but I expressed  comment that they 'COULD' be targets - Edwards for a while had UK distribution - Not sure if this is still the case - But in a global world, Navigator Guitars are been shipped out of Japan via the grey market - But from what I know you are right in that it is hard/impossible for Gibson to serve any court injunctions in Japan - But that is a case for international lawyers and not me

As part of my larger posting, I think the shape of the guitar is less important than a clear breach of the name as the IPL - I can understand Gibson protecting their IPL, but I don't think the shape should be their IPL - As I mentioned, all jeans look the same - It is the brand name on the arse pocket that offers the differential in most instances - And all 14 fret acoustic guitar bodies look the same
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    Tenebrous said:
    IMO If Gibson were making their guitars to the actual spec of the late 50's (correct logo, tailpiece position etc) then they wouldn't need to post this video. 

I can no longer see the video on youtube, Anyone have a link? 
    I'd like to see it as well, if possible.
    Doubtless the video must have been downloaded by plenty of people. Unfortunately I have a feeling that Gibson might threaten action against any re-posters for copyright infringement. ;)

I wonder if they have been taking public relation tips from McDonalds, given that it all comes across as being about as well-advised as the McLibel case. Unfortunately such attitudes seem to be pretty much a central part of the American corporate mindset.
    Ahh, Gibson playing the long-con. Wanting people to believe they actually care about their guitar copyright, but instead using the backlash from this planned video to expose those dirty thieving buggers who upload YouTube video without permission. Thanks, Gibson!

(I watched Deadliest Catch S15E10 on YouTube earlier. Many thanks to that guy for uploading it :#)
  • Doubtless the video must have been downloaded by plenty of people. Unfortunately I have a feeling that Gibson might threaten action against any re-posters for copyright infringement. ;)

I wonder if they have been taking public relation tips from McDonalds, given that it all comes across as being about as well-advised as the McLibel case. Unfortunately such attitudes seem to be pretty much a central part of the American corporate mindset.
    Tactlessness 'holier than thou' attitudes, bullying and U turns are all part of the Trump administration mindset ... why should their big business be any different? :-)
    Not quite, tactlessness 'holier than thou' attitudes, bullying, U turns - and Trump - are all part of the neo-liberal American corporate mindset. Don't confuse the symptoms with the disease! ;)
  • Three-ColourSunburstThree-ColourSunburst Frets: 1139
    edited June 2019
    Forgot to add hypocrisy to the list. Going by the sticker it seems that when Gibson say 'play authentic' they actually mean 'play a blatant copy'.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7155
    'Authentic Profit'

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30294
    It's all right, the video's been taken down. That means we can all start making Les Pauls.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72449
    I honestly thought that was Julian Assange for a few seconds, and wondered what Gibson have been trying to hide.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2459

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    edited June 2019
    Wahhey, thanks! I missed it the first time, so glad someone had it ready.

Watched it, haha. Oh dear. Cringeworthy as hell.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14304
    tFB Trader
    Thanks Ross - Missed the first posting - Agree with many other comments earlier - Cringeworthy - Certainly with regards to its presentation 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited June 2019
    Have to say, not as bad as I expected.

Didn’t need a video to the “fans” though.

If they have a genuine case against another builder (and they are being ripped off by many, incl well known companies like Eastman) they should pursue that via standard legal channels and bypass the propaganda.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12376
    I think Mark is a good guy gone all corporate now hes been employed by Gibson, I havent read through all the comments but Gibson cant just throw their name on any old shit and expect people to lap it up. 

Its simple, make really good affordable guitars, listen to the buying public and people will stop buying better made and more affordable copies from other builders.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    I had to laugh, the old Gibson is long gone imo

I'm pretty sure the original bigsby guitars were before Gibson and the merle travis model look very much like a les paul to me
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Why is he crying and looking far far away.... 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    What a prick!.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom