Boss SY-1

What's Hot

Comments

• joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    @Fuengi still like mine, still tons to explore with it. I need a band practice to really let it rip I think. These one hour occasional escapes using headphones aren't really giving me much opportunity to explore it. Need to write down my favourite settings too. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Still haven't had chance to fire mine up, work gets in the way, however this weekend I'm building my silly pedalboard ;)
  • Fuengi said:
    How's everyone getting on with theirs? I've gone a bit lukewarm since watching the only Mike Hermans video ever that I didn't like on it. 
    Everything he's done recently has bored me senseless.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Fuengi said:
    How's everyone getting on with theirs? I've gone a bit lukewarm since watching the only Mike Hermans video ever that I didn't like on it. 

It wasn't great. Going through the motions. I'm enjoying the Alberto Barrero demos at the moment but disappointing they never sound the same when I play! 

Fuengi said:
    Fuengi said:

It wasn't great. Going through the motions. I'm enjoying the Alberto Barrero demos at the moment but disappointing they never sound the same when I play! 

Try the Pedal Zone review again. It's really nice. 
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    Back in stock at Sound Affects if anyone is still looking 
    Well, tried it at practice this weekend, and had a few nights with it last week - it's fine, it's got tons of powerful sounds and tone shaping options, but for me I think I'm cooling on the idea of synth sounds in my setup anyway. If anyone's interested, I'm selling mine. 

• BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2219
    edited June 2021
    Necro-bump for this thread, because this pedal passed me by when it first came out, but saw one today in Wunjo’s, tried it out for about ten mins, and instantly loved it. Swore I was going to leave Denmark St with the millionth H9 Max I’ve ever owned, but went home with an SY-1 and a Nano POG instead. Tried them with the rest of the board. Absolutely love it.

Anyone still using and enjoying their SY-1 now that the initial release hype has long died down?
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3655

Anyone still using and enjoying their SY-1 now that the initial release hype has long died down?
    Not an SY-1 but I'm still enjoying my SY-300.

You have to remember that this isn't a guitar-synth, so don't expect realistic piano samples.  I use it in the effects loop of my Helix and I can select different patches via MIDI PC messages.  I use it most often to cover brass parts as well as the odd organ or washy pad.
  • Musicwolf said:

Not an SY-1 but I'm still enjoying my SY-300.

.You have to remember that this isn't a guitar-synth, so don't expect realistic piano samples.  I use it in the effects loop of my Helix and I can select different patches via MIDI PC messages.  I use it most often to cover brass parts as well as the odd organ or washy pad.
    I didn’t expect that at all. Expected some emulations of analogue synths, some pads, sequencing, synth strings, bass sounds, and it really delivers.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72345
    Musicwolf said:

You have to remember that this isn't a guitar-synth, so don't expect realistic piano samples.
    I would have said the exact opposite - it specifically *is* a *guitar* synth, so don't expect piano samples! What it isn't is a guitar-to-MIDI converter...

I've tried them a couple of times now, and absolutely love the sounds, but the lack of any programmability is a complete deal-breaker unfortunately.

It really needs to be an SY-20 with somewhere between about four and ten memories.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    Necro-bump for this thread, because this pedal passed me by when it first came out, but saw one today in Wunjo’s, tried it out for about ten mins, and instantly loved it. Swore I was going to leave Denmark St with the millionth H9 Max I’ve ever owned, but went home with an SY-1 and a Nano POG instead. Tried them with the rest of the board. Absolutely love it.

Yep, still really enjoying mine. It's one of the few bits of gear I bought new. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14428
    ICBM said:
    Musicwolf said:

You have to remember that this isn't a guitar-synth, so don't expect realistic piano samples.
    I would have said the exact opposite - it specifically *is* a *guitar* synth, so don't expect piano samples! What it isn't is a guitar-to-MIDI converter...

I've tried them a couple of times now, and absolutely love the sounds, but the lack of any programmability is a complete deal-breaker unfortunately.

It really needs to be an SY-20 with somewhere between about four and ten memories.
    Until that day, there is still the Roland GR-20. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    ICBM said:
    Musicwolf said:

Exactly what I was going to say.
    Loads of fun and relatively cheap
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72345
    Funkfingers said:

But requires the hexaphonic pickup/13-pin cable lash-up, which defeats the entire brilliance of the SY-1 and SY-300...

And the SY-300 is too big, too expensive and has those switches I hate :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3655
    ICBM said:

And the SY-300 is too big, too expensive and has those switches I hate :).

I overcame this by mounting mine is a 4u shallow rack along with my VoiceLive 2 processor.  The rack sits 'off stage' underneath a 3u rack housing the XR-18 mixer and I hook up both effects to my Helix (the SY-300 is in a loop, the VoiceLive takes its 'pitch' feed from a send).  Patches and switching on both effects, plus scenes / controls for the XR-18, are via Helix controls / MIDI commands.  It took a while to setup initially but now I'm very quick setting up new songs.  I've got the set lists for two bands all just a few clicks away and I'm also linked to a laptop running the XR-18 mixer plus some software called Cantabile which lets me record and playback audio files (track selection plus start and stop from the Helix of course).

Now we just need venues to open up so that we can play some bloody gigs :p

• Well the novelty wore off quicker than I thought =). Amazing pedal but I’m spending way too much time tweaking the SY-1 and just playing sustained single notes, changing the note every 2 or 4 bars, this doesn’t feel like guitar playing any more… Jeebus, Graeme, you’re an eejit.

Huge amount of fun, but a GAS buy purely on impulse. Stupid boy. I blame the heat.
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    I missed this thread but I’ve recently picked up a SY-1, mainly because my main cover band just dropped from a 5 piece down to a trio with me on guitar and lead vox. I have the SY-1 in a loop of my GT-1000 Core, in a parallel path with expression pedal to blend between 100% guitar and 100% synth.

For me, it’s a total game changer. So far I only use a couple of organ sounds and a pad, but with the sound hold function it’s easy to sustain each chord on the synth whilst you bash out riffs and flourishes on the guitar. It means I can play stuff like Gangsters by The Specials or Town Called Malice and it really does sound like we have a keyboard player. Then you let go of the pedal when you want to double a riff on the organ, or press the exp pedal down to play an isolated keys riff. 

Identifying your main go-to sounds is the key. For me it’s organ #4 and #5, pad #3 with the tone at about 11 o’clock. I can change between them very quickly on stage but I agree a version with patches and MIDI (but smaller footprint than the SY-300) would be amazing 
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 524
    Trude said:
    I missed this thread but I’ve recently picked up a SY-1, mainly because my main cover band just dropped from a 5 piece down to a trio with me on guitar and lead vox. I have the SY-1 in a loop of my GT-1000 Core, in a parallel path with expression pedal to blend between 100% guitar and 100% synth.

For me, it’s a total game changer. So far I only use a couple of organ sounds and a pad, but with the sound hold function it’s easy to sustain each chord on the synth whilst you bash out riffs and flourishes on the guitar. It means I can play stuff like Gangsters by The Specials or Town Called Malice and it really does sound like we have a keyboard player. Then you let go of the pedal when you want to double a riff on the organ, or press the exp pedal down to play an isolated keys riff. 

Identifying your main go-to sounds is the key. For me it’s organ #4 and #5, pad #3 with the tone at about 11 o’clock. I can change between them very quickly on stage but I agree a version with patches and MIDI (but smaller footprint than the SY-300) would be amazing 
    Sounds great. I like the sound hold but would like to be able to latch this. I think the dual Boss foot switch might allow it? I’d like one side of the foot switch to switch the pedal on and off and the other to act as a sound hold. Anyone know if this is possible? 
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    26.2 said:
    Trude said:

Sounds great. I like the sound hold but would like to be able to latch this. I think the dual Boss foot switch might allow it? I’d like one side of the foot switch to switch the pedal on and off and the other to act as a sound hold. Anyone know if this is possible? 
    Nope, you can only get the hold feature and bypass via the pedal itself. The only external input is for an expression pedal. 
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here