Boss SY-1

What's Hot
1234568»

Comments

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    Trude said:
    26.2 said:
    Trude said:
    I missed this thread but I’ve recently picked up a SY-1, mainly because my main cover band just dropped from a 5 piece down to a trio with me on guitar and lead vox. I have the SY-1 in a loop of my GT-1000 Core, in a parallel path with expression pedal to blend between 100% guitar and 100% synth.

For me, it’s a total game changer. So far I only use a couple of organ sounds and a pad, but with the sound hold function it’s easy to sustain each chord on the synth whilst you bash out riffs and flourishes on the guitar. It means I can play stuff like Gangsters by The Specials or Town Called Malice and it really does sound like we have a keyboard player. Then you let go of the pedal when you want to double a riff on the organ, or press the exp pedal down to play an isolated keys riff. 

Identifying your main go-to sounds is the key. For me it’s organ #4 and #5, pad #3 with the tone at about 11 o’clock. I can change between them very quickly on stage but I agree a version with patches and MIDI (but smaller footprint than the SY-300) would be amazing 
    Sounds great. I like the sound hold but would like to be able to latch this. I think the dual Boss foot switch might allow it? I’d like one side of the foot switch to switch the pedal on and off and the other to act as a sound hold. Anyone know if this is possible? 
    Nope, you can only get the hold feature and bypass via the pedal itself. The only external input is for an expression pedal. 
    You CAN use an external footswitch to control the hold feature but not to switch the pedal on/off. If you go that route,  you can't use an expression pedal as well though as it uses the same jack socket 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    Ah, really? I'll have to check the manual. That'd be very handy for me actually as sometimes my leg gets tired after a few songs where I'm using it a lot. I could set up a remote switch so I can swap feet every so often!
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3673
    No patches.. no good for me.  
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3655
    No patches.. no good for me.  
    That's why I went for the SY-300.

• 26.226.2 Frets: 524
    Beexter said:
    Trude said:
    26.2 said:
    Trude said:
    I missed this thread but I’ve recently picked up a SY-1, mainly because my main cover band just dropped from a 5 piece down to a trio with me on guitar and lead vox. I have the SY-1 in a loop of my GT-1000 Core, in a parallel path with expression pedal to blend between 100% guitar and 100% synth.

For me, it’s a total game changer. So far I only use a couple of organ sounds and a pad, but with the sound hold function it’s easy to sustain each chord on the synth whilst you bash out riffs and flourishes on the guitar. It means I can play stuff like Gangsters by The Specials or Town Called Malice and it really does sound like we have a keyboard player. Then you let go of the pedal when you want to double a riff on the organ, or press the exp pedal down to play an isolated keys riff. 

Identifying your main go-to sounds is the key. For me it’s organ #4 and #5, pad #3 with the tone at about 11 o’clock. I can change between them very quickly on stage but I agree a version with patches and MIDI (but smaller footprint than the SY-300) would be amazing 
    Sounds great. I like the sound hold but would like to be able to latch this. I think the dual Boss foot switch might allow it? I’d like one side of the foot switch to switch the pedal on and off and the other to act as a sound hold. Anyone know if this is possible? 
    Nope, you can only get the hold feature and bypass via the pedal itself. The only external input is for an expression pedal. 
    You CAN use an external footswitch to control the hold feature but not to switch the pedal on/off. If you go that route,  you can't use an expression pedal as well though as it uses the same jack socket 
    That’s great - thanks. I don’t need the expression function.