Origin Effects Revival Drive Compact - Review & Initial Thoughts...

What's Hot

Comments

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    soma1975 said:
    if you have a valve amp anyway do you need the ghost note feature?
    I do but I’ve never really heard it before. Maybe you need to turn it up and crank it to hear it in action. Well I won’t be doing that lol
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    edited August 2019
    I can add my own experience. I too have both the Compact and the RD custom.
    As Wazmeister says, it has all the quality feel of an Origin pedal

the RD compact is it’s own thing, not ‘half a big box’.
    The ‘rectifier voice’ is set ‘half way’ between the Silicon and valve side.

The high and low controls seem to act differently to the larger box. I’d recommend reading the online manual . They are not like the usual eq knobs
    Output control seems to be set differently too, requiring a far higher setting to achieve unity volume

the ADJ control works on both EQ1 and EQ2 and is clear and simple to use
    (on the custom, it only works on EQ2 , and even then has a smaller effect I think..)

It sounds  great , even though I would say that.  It will work for those who were put off by the large version.  The one thing it lacks is the ghost noting, but I gather it wouldn’t have been technically feasible to fit it in the compact size. 

On that latter subject, it just occurred to me that a huge part of what I loved with the Foxrox Octron pedal ( an octave pedal ) were those octave notes that mimicked the ghosting notes on the big version

I must admit its the 'Ghost' feature I like on the big box version myself too. Just a shame it's double the price nearly Not a deal breaker though for the luxury. Audience would never know the difference. At least mine wouldn't  
    Not nearly double the price, barely £150 more at some places which makes it much better value really.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/guitar-pedals/overdrive-pedals/origin-effects-revivaldrive-overdrive-pedal
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    Do you think this would blow my Wampler euphoria off my board?
  • Just got mine today love it! Im not a pedal guy but this thing sounds awesome and feels just like a real amp! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1292
    You also have a Benson Preamp? How does it compare?
    Well, the RD is much more versatile. The Benson is very good, but probably has one sound across a range. The RD can be a few different sounding amps.
    If you had to choose one based purely on how amp like it feels to play?
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9532
    edited August 2019
    markj said:
    Do you think this would blow my Wampler euphoria off my board?
    Whoa.

Mark, and everyone, bear in mind this works in my couple of rigs described here...

Id image, having said that, the RD will work in ANY rig.

Nonetheless, the Euphoria is a very good pedal; very  underrated and a sleeper pedal.
    it does do that edge of break up very well too :)
  • breezytelebreezytele Frets: 273
    edited August 2019
    I wonder if the ‘sweet spot’ for the Revivaldrive options is the big box Standard...
    you get the ghosting, and the two sides.  

I have the Custom (and also the foot pedal) , but actually, I run it on EQ1 (=standard version)
    and don’t use/need  the pedal (yet).  

I’m  glad I have all the extra  options, even at the extra cost. (And I have explored them)

However,  I’m effectively playing a big box standard... 

I use the silicon channel dialled cleanish,  into tweed , and it just adds that ‘something’,
    so now it’s always on.
    (i only use the left channel as overt drive)

All this talk of the big box,  might also make one think I’m  overlooking the Compact.
     Far from it, It captures a lot of the big box.

I’m keeping both.  Big box RD still rules... is still the bottom line 

I wonder if the ‘sweet spot’ for the Revivaldrive options is the big box Standard...
    you get the ghosting, and the two sides.  

I have the Custom (and also the foot pedal) , but actually, I run it on EQ1 (=standard version)
    and don’t use/need  the pedal (yet).  

I’m  glad I have all the extra  options, even at the extra cost. (And I have explored them)

However,  I’m effectively playing a big box standard... 

I use the silicon channel dialled cleanish,  into tweed , and it just adds that ‘something’,
    so now it’s always on.
    (i only use the left channel as overt drive)

All this talk of the big box,  might also make one think I’m  overlooking the Compact.
     Far from it, It captures a lot of the big box.

Its only Compact but I like it !

I’m keeping both.  Big box RD still rules... is still the bottom line 

I’m so with you on the Revival Drive big box but every time I’m about to pull the trigger on one I keep seeing all those switches etc. Scares the hell out of me :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875
    I missed the original release hype and whatnot for the big pedal until now and just saw this video and now for the first time in a long time I have GAS for a new pedal.

https://youtu.be/FZ06lNyv_1A
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    I have a big-box custom and a big-box standard and can confirm that everyone needs both.

I run them in stereo with one of the pair dedicated to each side. I also manage to sum them to mono so one pedal can feed the other via both amps. Some might consider this excessive and they would be right. The sound, though, is monumental

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2019
    I missed the original release hype and whatnot for the big pedal until now and just saw this video and now for the first time in a long time I have GAS for a new pedal.

An interesting video, in an area Ive been experimenting with myself (after two consecutive valve amp failures at gigs...)

Ive settled on a Kemper Stage (£1450) and here’s why - referencing the above video);

£559 - Revival Drive Custom
    £89 - Footswitch
    £599 - H9 Max
    £79 - OX9 Footswitch 
    £375 - Ventris
    £259 - Nemesis

Total - £1960 (plus power)

I went down a similar route myself ! Then realised, imho, that the Kemper will outperform this set up.
    I do like the idea of a smaller board though, and its something Im looking at...

Horses for courses, I guess...

• I missed the original release hype and whatnot for the big pedal until now and just saw this video and now for the first time in a long time I have GAS for a new pedal.

An interesting video, in an area Ive been experimenting with myself (after two consecutive valve amp failures at gigs...)

Ive settled on a Kemper Stage (£1450) and here’s why - referencing the above video);

£559 - Revival Drive Custom
    £89 - Footswitch
    £599 - H9 Max
    £79 - OX9 Footswitch 
    £375 - Ventris
    £259 - Nemesis

Total - £1960 (plus power)

I went down a similar route myself ! Then realised, imho, that the Kemper will outperform this set up.
    I do like the idea of a smaller board though, and its something Im looking at...

Horses for courses, I guess...

You could really just go H9 and RD if you wanted it real small!
    JohnPerry said:
    I have a big-box custom and a big-box standard and can confirm that everyone needs both.

I run them in stereo with one of the pair dedicated to each side. I also manage to sum them to mono so one pedal can feed the other via both amps. Some might consider this excessive and they would be right. The sound, though, is monumental
    John, do you use different settngs on each RD ?
  • Ordered mine yesterday, should arrive tomorrow or Friday, just in time for this weekends two gigs. Very excited about this!
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    JohnPerry said:

Yep, I have one set Marshally (one side lower gain crunch, the other filthier) and the other is Fenderish on one channel and Voxy on the other

JohnPerry said:
    JohnPerry said:

Yep, I have one set Marshally (one side lower gain crunch, the other filthier) and the other is Fenderish on one channel and Voxy on the other
    Cheers mate. I bet that sounds awesome ! Two amp rigs are really the way forward...
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 664
    With the gear I’ve bought over the past few months, I really should be GAS free. But alas, discussions like this appear...
    JohnPerry said:
    JohnPerry said:

Cheers mate. I bet that sounds awesome ! Two amp rigs are really the way forward...
    lol I was going down that two amp route last year (TPS have a lot to answer for ;) ) but the logistics of it all and labour involved at gigs I’ve decided to move one of my amps on. Hence the interest in one of these RevivalDrives and a small power amp for a back up at least. 
    With the gear I’ve bought over the past few months, I really should be GAS free. But alas, discussions like this appear...
    I say it so often, it truly never ends !! 

And that is half the fun :)
  • garfygarfy Frets: 144
    Wish I’d never looked at this thread  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom