Origin Effects Revival Drive Compact - Review & Initial Thoughts...

What's Hot

Comments

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    markj said:
    Do the owners of this fine pedal still love it like I love mine after the honeymoon period.
    Of course.  :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Still loving mine!
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    Yes. After all the many Kingsleys and Wamplers and Weehbos and all the rest the RD is the best OD I have ever heard.

• markjmarkj Frets: 914
    JohnPerry said:
    Yes. After all the many Kingsleys and Wamplers and Weehbos and all the rest the RD is the best OD I have ever heard.
    I’ve been down the exactly same road as yourself over many years the RD is definitely the best.
  • JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650
    I really dig mine  - I like the "hair" you can add to driven tones - and it can really bring the HX stomp to life!
  • Yep absolutely love mine
  • Interesting to hear the favourable comparisons to Kingsley, and from more than one person too.
    But back to OP, yes, still extremely happy post honeymoon.

It does beg the question of whether some RD compact owners might go back and look again at the big version...?!

I’ve kept both and retain a small -but definite-preference for the bigger  box
    (The ghosting and maybe a sense of it somehow having more ‘punch’ on the Si side)

One unique feature (IIRC) of the compact is that the rectifier
     is said to be voiced ‘between the silicon and valve’ sides of the original.

Anyway, can’t go wrong with either, as this thread seems to confirm 

• Interesting to hear the favourable comparisons to Kingsley, and from more than one person too.

It does beg the question of whether some RD compact owners might go back and look again at the big version...?!

(The ghosting and maybe a sense of it somehow having more ‘punch’ on the Si side)

Funny you should say that as I have been seriously considering going for the bigger version now I have the compact and have been so impressed by it in every situation I have used it in.

I had dismissed the bigger version but am now thinking again
    Interesting to hear the favourable comparisons to Kingsley, and from more than one person too.

Funny you should say that as I have been seriously considering going for the bigger version now I have the compact and have been so impressed by it in every situation I have used it in.

I had dismissed the bigger version but am now thinking again
    Isn’t there one going in the classifieds ;)
  • That’s a bargain
    I recommend having two of the bigger version. It's more

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10217
    Hey guys. I'm looking at getting the big box version to use as a preamp into a HXFX into a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 into a Zilla 2x12 with Neo cream backs  

I'm trying to lighten my whole setup after years of big amps and disappointment with Kemper Stages that's have been faulty and a Helix that I'm not really digging. The idea of an amazing pedal board setup like this is very appealing. 

Is anyone else using it like this? Still enjoying it? How does it compare to a real amp? 

Thanks! 

@TeleMaster I've got the compact version, and it's great. I did a comparison with the Iridium preamps and I think the RD Compact has a bit more life;

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    JohnCordy said:
    @TeleMaster I've got the compact version, and it's great. I did a comparison with the Iridium preamps and I think the RD Compact has a bit more life;

Thanks John. Yea you do make it sound good. But do use it as a preamp into a power amp and then a cab? 

edited January 2020
    I went to the studio yesterday and cranked the thing. It sounds awesome! Think I prefer the US style cleans and a mid boost on the GB driven Plexi style.

It sounds exactly like an amp. As good as my Carol Ann Tucana was and first impressions make me think it sounds better than my Kemper. I'm running it as a preamp into a SD Powerstage into a 212 with Neo creambacks. 

Looking forward to practice tomorrow so I can really see how it performs.

I think this pedal is a future Klon type. 
    Once I'd spent some time with it and figured it out, the Revival (big box) was easily the best OD I've ever owned, of roughly a bazillion.

It can't do a ragged 5e3 Tweed-style. But for Marshall, Vox and Fender tones I don't think it can be beaten. It is also miles better in tone and feel to anything in the HX Stomp (which I love and has plenty of other strengths) 

@TeleMaster in that video I was using it as a preamp into the Strymon cabs. I have used it more traditionally in front of an amp or Hz stomp and it also sounds good that way!
  • spirit7spirit7 Frets: 338
    Just got mine.  Wow...the best overdrive I've played to date.  I'm more of an amp distortion man and the greatest thing about this pedal is how amp-like it sounds - especially the cranked Blackface settings.  

Everyone else loving theirs?
    spirit7 said:
    Just got mine.  Wow...the best overdrive I've played to date.  I'm more of an amp distortion man and the greatest thing about this pedal is how amp-like it sounds - especially the cranked Blackface settings.  

Everyone else loving theirs?
    I do indeed. So much so I’ve bought the RD bigger box. Best OD pedal ever :)