Origin Effects Revival Drive Compact - Review & Initial Thoughts...

What's Hot

Comments

• @hotpickups - didn’t you ever try it with the Badcat?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    @hotpickups - didn’t you ever try it with the Badcat?
    Of course a d it sounded awesome. Even on its AC30 setting going into the AC30 type Badcat amp ;) 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • keirkeir Frets: 137
    Does everyone who owns a big box version use them on their own of do you stack with other drives? Also do you use the foot switch for solo boost duties? 

I haven’t picked up a footswitch yet but I’m thinking potentially you could have:

silicon setting with a level of dry blend
    same on valve side

then with the blend override you’d have a more overdriven sound for each channel

plus the ability to have basically all 4 of these sounds boosted to solo volume levels with boosted mids as well. 

When you look at all those options it actually easily justifies the outlay. 

Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
    keir said:
    Does everyone who owns a big box version use them on their own of do you stack with other drives? Also do you use the foot switch for solo boost duties? 

I haven’t picked up a footswitch yet but I’m thinking potentially you could have:

silicon setting with a level of dry blend
    same on valve side

then with the blend override you’d have a more overdriven sound for each channel

plus the ability to have basically all 4 of these sounds boosted to solo volume levels with boosted mids as well. 

When you look at all those options it actually easily justifies the outlay. 

I have t got my big box yet but this is exactly how I plan to use it by getting a switcher interface from OE so I can add the mid boost and blend etc for solos etc. It’s my dream come true because I just love natural amp like distortion  :) It will be my only OD on the board eventually 
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    Is the revival drive designed for use as a pedal before an amp, in typical od pedal style. Or can you use it as a complete amp in a box, in conjunction with something like a two notes torpedo, into an frfr amp?
    NelsonP said:
    Is the revival drive designed for use as a pedal before an amp, in typical od pedal style. Or can you use it as a complete amp in a box, in conjunction with something like a two notes torpedo, into an frfr amp?
    Both but it hasn’t got any cab sim though 
    edited January 2020
    NelsonP said:
    I mean something like the torpedo cab m.

So revival drive compact > torpedo cab m > source audio collider > frfr powered cab..... on a pedaltrain metro.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    NelsonP said:
    Yes that's exactly what I do in my home studio, through a pair of Adam studio monitors. It gives me the best recorded guitar sounds I've ever had.
    NelsonP said:
    NelsonP said:

So revival drive compact > torpedo cab m > source audio collider > frfr powered cab..... on a pedaltrain metro.
    Just saw this. Question answered.

But more than a kemper, helix etc and less flexible. Would need to sound good!
    NelsonP said:
    NelsonP said:
    NelsonP said:

The RD could be paired with an SD power stage 170 as a backup in case your amp went down at a gig. Just change the EQ settings to power amp and you’d be back in business in a minute or 2 through your amps internal speaker. 

One of the origin videos it shows how even though the pedal is bypassed, it will still pass a clean sound with the bypasses channel’s eq to the power amp. 
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    keir said:
    NelsonP said:
    NelsonP said:
    NelsonP said:

The RD could be paired with an SD power stage 170 as a backup in case your amp went down at a gig. Just change the EQ settings to power amp and you’d be back in business in a minute or 2 through your amps internal speaker. 

One of the origin videos it shows how even though the pedal is bypassed, it will still pass a clean sound with the bypasses channel’s eq to the power amp. 
    I have run it like this, and I may have mentioned it in the initial thread (I cant remember !)...

RDC into the superb SD170 into a 1x12 cab.

Glorious sound, never lacking in volume or feel.
    keir said:
    NelsonP said:
    NelsonP said:
    NelsonP said:

I have run it like this, and I may have mentioned it in the initial thread (I cant remember !)...

Cheers mate great to hear. I might go back to having just my AC30 as my only amp and pick up a used SD170 as my backup, rather than having to store an additional amp in the house. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10223
    keir said:
    NelsonP said:
    NelsonP said:
    NelsonP said:

Do you feel the bright cap doesn't have a huge effect due to the flat nature of the power amp? 
  • Apart from the obvious (size, no of knobs), what’s the difference between the big box and compact versions?

Apart from the obvious (size, no of knobs), what’s the difference between the big box and compact versions?

No ghost. No silicon side. No mid boost or blend override etc. Maybe more 
    Also interested to hear what drives people are using with theirs?

I’m considering selling off the majority of my drive pedals but think I may need one or 2 - maybe a fuzz and something to give an extra flavour. 

Im thinking maybe more low / medium gain with a a powerful eq but not sure, wouldn’t mind trying a broadcast too. 

Also have a close eye on the revivaltrem which sounds brilliant. 

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    keir said:
    Also interested to hear what drives people are using with theirs?

I’m considering selling off the majority of my drive pedals but think I may need one or 2 - maybe a fuzz and something to give an extra flavour. 

Thorpy Peacekeeper > Cali76 > Colby Fuzz Sound > RD Compact

Up to two of those at a time, to taste (or indeed lack of).

edited January 2020
    Personally I don’t feel I need anything other than the RDC now a d the cali76. The incoming RD big box will have the option of a mid boost which should just about do me I reckon although I’ve said that before lol 

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27005
    I've just bought a an RD Compact but I can't play it for about a month. I'm super excited. 

I can feel a Cali 76/Stacked in my future as well
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10223
    edited January 2020
    I think setting number 1 on SHELF FREQ & CUT FREQ is the most suited to a power amp and cab set up.

Played it at practice today. Sounded awesome!