Origin Effects Revival Drive Compact - Review & Initial Thoughts...

What's Hot

Comments

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Warren, these are my thoughts exactly on the RD. And I suspect some of the initial confusion from TPS ran along those lines:
    Basically,
    If you already have a great amp, why use an RD?
    I haven't even bothered to pair up the RD with my Redplate. After last week's insight into tuning the pedal to the amp, I will put the Redplate to the test simply for curiosity and judge if I can pair up the RD with any amp and make it react as a chosen sound.
    So why am I using it?
    The superlead style vintage amp I have is extremely loud at 1 without any sign of overdrive. The RD allows me to use the amp with its own clean as well as the drives supported by the RD as well as a blend of the two. Throwing a fuzz into it is heaven.
    Interestingly, I did manage to match the RD tweed setting with the Tweed channel of the Redplate.
    Readers may think that I am using the RD as a practice pedal, but it is much more, especially the large edition: I can have two (channels) different levels of the same tone. I can use the blend to open the drive. I can mid boost it for punching through the mix. And of course I can have two different drive tones different to my amp's core tone. And on top of all this, if something went wrong with the amp, I could run into a power amp or DI to P.A with a cab sim.
    My next test will be with my Marshall Artiste, an amp with fender-like cleans, a marshall mid channel, and when dimed gets superlead drive (yes, I was surprised what the amp is capable of; more on that in another thread). The RD could turn this amp into a powerhouse of available tones. Fingers crossed.
    Returning to the OP, it makes sense you're looking for a boost rather than this. If only the Mercury V had a foot pedal, similar to the Redplate's, it would be the end of your GAS. Does Carr recommend anything? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    edited August 2019
    Mine arrived this morning and I've just spent a couple of hours with it in the 'high gain' slot on my 'board, plugged into my Matchless Lightning. It's quite a bright amp, so I select EQ1 and knock back ADJ to about 10 o'clock.

Very first impressions - I don't like it, it's going back, I prefer the OCD clone that I just built.

The quick-start guide isn't a huge help - I am shooting for Mick Ronson's Marshall Major, and the 'Pushed Plexi' setting is just too aggressive. So I dig out the following:
    - Origin's online manual for the RD Compact (to understand how the HIGHS control equates to the RD's pre-amp switches);
    - A schematic for the Marshall Major amp.

To 'model' a particular amp you need to know how much negative feedback the power stage uses, whether it has a presence control, and what kind of bright cap (if any) are in the preamp. The Major does have NFB and a presence control, so I set MORE/PRES to about 1 o'clock. There doesn't seem to be a bright cap set up, so I set HIGHS full left. Reading the manual description of the LOWS control, I set that fully left too. I also bumped the gain up to 3 o'clock, so that I could adjust the amount of drive from the guitar. I left BLEND at full OD, and tweaked the OUTPUT to suit.

Now that's more like it! AB-ing between the RD-C and other drive pedals, the others have a low-mids congestion that you just can't dial out - except for the Peacekeeper, but that's doing an essential job pre-compressor. The RD-C now sounds like an extra channel on my 

So I'm much happier with it now. I am going to A-B it with some of my big-box RD settings, and see how well they can be transferred to the RD-C.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Keefy said:
    Mine arrived this morning and I've just spent a couple of hours with it in the 'high gain' slot on my 'board, plugged into my Matchless Lightning. It's quite a bright amp, so I select EQ1 and knock back ADJ to about 10 o'clock.

Very first impressions - I don't like it, it's going back, I prefer the OCD clone that I just built.

The quick-start guide isn't a huge help - I am shooting for Mick Ronson's Marshall Major, and the 'Pushed Plexi' setting is just too aggressive. So I dig out the following:
    - Origin's online manual for the RD Compact (to understand how the HIGHS control equates to the RD's pre-amp switches);
    - A schematic for the Marshall Major amp.

To 'model' a particular amp you need to know how much negative feedback the power stage uses, whether it has a presence control, and what kind of bright cap (if any) are in the preamp. The Major does have NFB and a presence control, so I set MORE/PRES to about 1 o'clock. There doesn't seem to be a bright cap set up, so I set HIGHS full left. Reading the manual description of the LOWS control, I set that fully left too. I also bumped the gain up to 3 o'clock, so that I could adjust the amount of drive from the guitar. I left BLEND at full OD, and tweaked the OUTPUT to suit.

Now that's more like it! AB-ing between the RD-C and other drive pedals, the others have a low-mids congestion that you just can't dial out - except for the Peacekeeper, but that's doing an essential job pre-compressor. The RD-C now sounds like an extra channel on my 

So I'm much happier with it now. I am going to A-B it with some of my big-box RD settings, and see how well they can be transferred to the RD-C.
    Just goes to show how tweakable it is I guess. So far I’m quite liking mine. I’ve yet to let rip though. Something for the weekend :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9539

Returning to the OP, it makes sense you're looking for a boost rather than this. If only the Mercury V had a foot pedal, similar to the Redplate's, it would be the end of your GAS. Does Carr recommend anything? 
    @lukedlb - a great piece Luke, and I agree 100%.

Will GAS ever end ?!?

I doubt it :)

The solution for me has been the JHS Clover. A truly incredible pedal; seems to work for me in every position (there are 3). 

As an always-on kinda echoplex preamp, it is lovely and warm. It just add that little ‘something’. 

As a mid range/or not EQ, it is perfect.

As a boost, it seems to cut through the mix.

Got a Cornish NB3 to try for a clean boost. These two pedals could have the live aspect sorted with the Mercury V.
    Just tried it into my practice room amp - turned a Princeton Reverb into a fire-breathing Marshall - result!
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    I can't vouch for the compact but with the full version and much tweaking (I have had these for months and they are still revealing themselves to me tbh) I can cop virtually any vintage amp tone through a platform such as a DR or PR.

The exception is a tweed deluxe sound. It doesn't go there exactly. There are better 5e3 pedals. Origin explained to me why this was. Can't recall the technicalities (I can find them if anyone cares) but it was good to know I didn't need to waste my time searching for it

• breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379
    @JohnPerry How is it for Vox sounds?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    Superb. I've owned the Sansamp Liverpool and the Wampler Ace Thirty (both twice IIRC) and it sees them off with ease. It has tons of top end if need be and you can dial out the negative feedback which I believe is crucial to the Vox tone

I can honestly say I love it. A massive sound I’ve never heard coming out of my amp. My amp is great already but this makes it even more versatile. Oh dear this may mean the Warthog is on block next :( Never thought I’d say they.  May have to sell my auto wah too as it’s such an expensive pedal :(
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9539
    I can honestly say I love it. A massive sound I’ve never heard coming out of my amp. My amp is great already but this makes it even more versatile. Oh dear this may mean the Warthog is on block next :( Never thought I’d say they.  May have to sell my auto wah too as it’s such an expensive pedal :(
    Glad you love it mate !

• skayskay Frets: 394
    @hotpickups what amp are you using it with? Is it set clean with the RD supplying 100% of the drive? Would you say it works equally well with singlcoil and humbuckers?

Has it crossed your mind that you would enjoy the full big version more? I prefer the smaller format of the compact (so I can put it on a pedal train nano board), but if I'm just going to be using this at home, then maybe the full sized one would be better for really dialing in the exact sound in your head....

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

edited August 2019
    skay said:
    @hotpickups what amp are you using it with? Is it set clean with the RD supplying 100% of the drive? Would you say it works equally well with singlcoil and humbuckers?

Has it crossed your mind that you would enjoy the full big version more? I prefer the smaller format of the compact (so I can put it on a pedal train nano board), but if I'm just going to be using this at home, then maybe the full sized one would be better for really dialing in the exact sound in your head....
    @skay ;;I’m using an RDA Dualist 30 watt amp (brilliant amp). I spec’d it up to be quite clean do it’s got 2 KT66s in it. 2x12 Zilla cab with Neo Creams in it. 

Played it set clean lean with the Revival fully on but also the blend mixed which I loved I.e. the fender twin setting. Loved that. 

As as for the sound I’m my head I don’t know what that is but it just felt nice to solo with. Just felt like a cranked amp but bro g able to tame it using the guitars volume knob 

As for the full version that’ll be too much knobbage for me and even more expensive. Although I did like the other side too and the ghost feature but st that cost :(
  • HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 337
    edited August 2019
    Got mine a couple of days ago. The RD sounds fantastic and I'm getting sounds I've always wanted ( Suhr Badger 35)  the blend is particularly awesome, although without the blend it does tend to thin my sound out a tad but I'm still experimenting, but gets me to lovely Marshall, Fender, Vox territory, certainly the overused "amp like" sound and feel. When I bypass it I miss it. I've only used it in the home setting at the moment so this could all change when I play live next weekend. I was intending for it to be an overdrive but I think it will become more of a modelling device/handy back up in my covers band. I also had a brief session strait into my DAW and again it sounded superb, I see it getting a lot of use in my recordings as well as gigs.  For me atm a must have pedal! I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs live and at gig volume. My Duellist could very well be in the classifieds soon. Surely I can't have both!
    I gigged mine last night - in brief, it's a keeper.

I did an impromptu performance of Bowie numbers with the singer (with acoustic 12-string) from the tribute band in which I normally play bass. My rig was my Ivison '59 DC repro, pedalboard including RD-C, into a '68 RI Princeton Reverb. I had the RD-C set up for a Marshall Major sound and it certainly did the business. Never have the opening chords of Ziggy Stardust sounded so good from my fingers. Cliché it may be, but this pedal sounds like an amp channel, not a drive pedal. It also stacked superbly with my Thorpy Peacekeeper in front of it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Keefy said:

I did an impromptu performance of Bowie numbers with the singer (with acoustic 12-string) from the tribute band in which I normally play bass. My rig was my Ivison '59 DC repro, pedalboard including RD-C, into a '68 RI Princeton Reverb. I had the RD-C set up for a Marshall Major sound and it certainly did the business. Never have the opening chords of Ziggy Stardust sounded so good from my fingers. Cliché it may be, but this pedal sounds like an amp channel, not a drive pedal. It also stacked superbly with my Thorpy Peacekeeper in front of it.
    Awesome. I use my peacekeeper after it funnily enough. Have I missed something, what’s the marshal major setting @Keefy ;
    edited September 2019
    Keefy said:

Awesome. I use my peacekeeper after it funnily enough. Have I missed something, what’s the marshal major setting @Keefy ;;
    As per my post of 30 Aug, although I took LOWS up a tiny bit to about 8 o’clock.
  • Keefy said:
    Keefy said:

Awesome. I use my peacekeeper after it funnily enough. Have I missed something, what’s the marshal major setting @Keefy ;;
    As per my post of 30 Aug, although I took LOWS up a tiny bit to about 8 o’clock.
    Ah ok I’ll look back. Been playing mine today. Gonna have so much fun with it I’m sure. I’ve always liked true amp gain and this does feel like that. 
  • ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    Anybody compare it to Cornish yet? CC1?
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    Do the owners of this fine pedal still love it like I love mine after the honeymoon period.