Origin Effects Revival Drive Compact - Review & Initial Thoughts...

What's Hot

Comments

• markjmarkj Frets: 914
    Picking mine up this afternoon. Last one available from Sound Affects Music Ormskirk.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @markj how are you getting on with it?Mine arrived this afternoon. There are a huge range of sounds available and even with the stripped down controls it took me a little while to get it dialled in. Means I am sure this compact version is the one for me as I would have found the bigger version too overwhelming.

Now I have it dialled in it is superb! I love the sound of my amp and have been looking for ages for a pedal that will give me the sound of my amp on steroids and this does it! I don’t like to use a huge amount of pedals and like simple single channel amps and this pedal blends in perfectly with that and allows me to adjust everything from the guitar and hit my boost pedal for solos.

I use a DV Mark Micro 50 solid state head as a backup amp but have always struggled with it as a pedal platform as I find it very dark and so was always having to radically adjust my pedal settings when I used it but with the revival drive I just flick the switch to EQ2 and it works brilliantly, feels wonderful to play and responds to changes in my guitar volume just like it does when I’m playing into my valve amp.

I don’t believe there is a ‘best’ overdrive pedal but for what I need, into my rig, for how I like to play, this is the perfect drive pedal for me!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @markj how are you getting on with it?Mine arrived this afternoon. There are a huge range of sounds available and even with the stripped down controls it took me a little while to get it dialled in. Means I am sure this compact version is the one for me as I would have found the bigger version too overwhelming.

Now I have it dialled in it is superb! I love the sound of my amp and have been looking for ages for a pedal that will give me the sound of my amp on steroids and this does it! I don’t like to use a huge amount of pedals and like simple single channel amps and this pedal blends in perfectly with that and allows me to adjust everything from the guitar and hit my boost pedal for solos.

I use a DV Mark Micro 50 solid state head as a backup amp but have always struggled with it as a pedal platform as I find it very dark and so was always having to radically adjust my pedal settings when I used it but with the revival drive I just flick the switch to EQ2 and it works brilliantly, feels wonderful to play and responds to changes in my guitar volume just like it does when I’m playing into my valve amp.

I don’t believe there is a ‘best’ overdrive pedal but for what I need, into my rig, for how I like to play, this is the perfect drive pedal for me!
    Not had a great deal of time with it at the moment, but very impressed. It really does have endless different tones in it that are easily to find. It’s very amp like and sounds superb through my Gartone Bluesman. I don’t play with a lot of gain, the  pedal has more than I’ll ever need. Looking forward to spending more time with it.
    Had chance to play through the pedal some more. Definitely the best drive pedal I’ve played, absolutely love it. My main drive pedal for around ten years has been a Wampler ecstasy / euphoria but switching between the two on my board there’s absolutely no comparison. What I really like about it is be able to fine tune the settings / tone perfectly, like Wazmeister said the tone in your head can be found in the pedal. It’s expensive but I think it’s worth it for the flexibility of all tones you can get out of it. I’ve had numerous high end expensive drives over the years, many have been returned disappointingly to the shop for a refund but this one is a definite keeper. It really is a stand out pedal. If anybody thinking of one of these pedals you need to try one, I don’t think that the YouTube videos on line at the moment do the pedal justice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Just ordered mine in the next Andertons batch.

Here's how I decided.

I got my full-fat RD last year as an amp sim for my recording setup (a job it does stupendously well) but have never spent much time with it into an actual amp.

This morning I set up my main gigging amp (Matchless Lightning Reverb) and pedalboard, with drive pedals in this order:
    1. ThorpyFX Peacemaker (before compressor)
    2. Wampler Paisley Drive
    3. tbc
    I lined up my Strat, LP, and Tele Deluxe, and staged a shoot-out for the no.3 position:
    - Digitech Hardwire Valve Distortion - kind of in Boss DS1 territory, but with more body, and altogether more amp-like
    - Xotic Effects SL Drive - only recently bumped off my board for the purposes of experimentation
    - Crowther Hotcake - a keeper, but not on this board
    - Revival Drive - I set up the silicon rectifier side for a Marshall-type sound, shooting for a Mick Ronson vibe

The RD urinated copiously over all the others, and stacked brilliantly with pedals 1 and 2, so my order has been placed. It's a bit spendy, but I don't mind paying for quality. Look out for some of the other contenders on the FX £ page!
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1292
    In the RD manual they mention using it with an amp modeller. I have had some great results from using analogue drives into the Helix, anyone try using the RD for this?
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    How'd it go live, @Wazmeister ? I think I've finally understood my big version. I have a feeling that the options provided by the second channel as well as the mid engage and blend override might encourage you and others to return or try out the big version, not to mention the GHOST too.
    Looking at the work Origin have put into the compact RD, I bet it sounds incredible and is much easier to set. However, now that I have learnt how to set my Custom EQ, I will happily keep the big version.

lukedlb said:
    However, now that I have learnt how to set my Custom EQ, I will happily keep the big version.

I think the learning curve with the big box could have been softened a bit; I’m not convinced the labelling of the controls couldn’t have been done better. For example, calling what is essentially the gain control Volume just because that’s the way it would be on a NMV amp doesn’t help things.

Also, there are now some good instructional videos out there, which weren’t available immediately at the time of release. That wasn’t ideal.

And looking at the manual for the full-size RD, they could do with coming up
    with a cheat sheet. One page with an illustration of the front of the pedal with arrows coming from each of the knobs/buttons giving a brief explanation of what each one does and where the flat/zero position is.

And then of course there was the That Pedal Show video where the guys didn’t seem to have gotten a handle on what the pedal could do; I watched it and I have to say it put me off the RD - too complicated and a little underwhelming. I can understand the guys on the show wanting to give their honest first reactions, but it didn’t really work out. Though I’m sure that style of review would be a lot more appropriate for the compact version
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I’ve watched a lot of demos of this pedal and I’m just not hearing what others seem to be - one to try in person I reckon. 
    dindude said:
    I’ve watched a lot of demos of this pedal and I’m just not hearing what others seem to be - one to try in person I reckon. 

Trust me, to my ears the youtube videos don't do this pedal any justice at all.
    lukedlb said:
    However, now that I have learnt how to set my Custom EQ, I will happily keep the big version.

I think the learning curve with the big box could have been softened a bit; I’m not convinced the labelling of the controls couldn’t have been done better. For example, calling what is essentially the gain control Volume just because that’s the way it would be on a NMV amp doesn’t help things.

Also, there are now some good instructional videos out there, which weren’t available immediately at the time of release. That wasn’t ideal.

with a cheat sheet. One page with an illustration of the front of the pedal with arrows coming from each of the knobs/buttons giving a brief explanation of what each one does and where the flat/zero position is.

And then of course there was the That Pedal Show video where the guys didn’t seem to have gotten a handle on what the pedal could do; I watched it and I have to say it put me off the RD - too complicated and a little underwhelming. I can understand the guys on the show wanting to give their honest first reactions, but it didn’t really work out. Though I’m sure that style of review would be a lot more appropriate for the compact version
    yep, I'm surprised Origin has never posted a cheat sheet on how to set up the pedal.

Here's what I did yesterday and it still could do with some simplification:
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/148284/revival-drive-custom-how-to-tune-your-eq2#latest
    lukedlb said:
    lukedlb said:

yep, I'm surprised Origin has never posted a cheat sheet on how to set up the pedal.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/148284/revival-drive-custom-how-to-tune-your-eq2#latest
    https://www.guitarpedalx.com/news/gpx-blog/origin-effects-revivaldrive-first-impressions

They should do something like the illustration at the beginning of this review. Even that the guy marks the Blend/Override footswitch as Kill Dry makes a lot of sense 
    lukedlb said:
    lukedlb said:

https://www.guitarpedalx.com/news/gpx-blog/origin-effects-revivaldrive-first-impressions

They should do something like the illustration at the beginning of this review. Even that the guy marks the Blend/Override footswitch as Kill Dry makes a lot of sense 
    That diagram was a big help in understanding how all the parts interacted.
  • Gigged my compact revival drive last night and I was chuffed with how it sounded on stage. It really isn’t like a pedal at all it is just like adding and extra channel to your amp. The response, clarity, dynamics, I’ve not used anything like it before. Delighted with it.

Anyway here is a link to a crappy iPhone video of us last night from which you can draw no useful conclusion as to how the revival drive sounds........I’m on the far right
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ecccp37sfhis0v/VIDEO-2019-08-25-12-17-24.mp4?dl=0

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    Sounded great. Nice playing too, loved the feedback at the end :)
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    Gigged my compact revival drive last night and I was chuffed with how it sounded on stage. It really isn’t like a pedal at all it is just like adding and extra channel to your amp. The response, clarity, dynamics, I’ve not used anything like it before. Delighted with it.

Anyway here is a link to a crappy iPhone video of us last night from which you can draw no useful conclusion as to how the revival drive sounds........I’m on the far right

Sounds great, what’s your amp?
  • markj said:
    Gigged my compact revival drive last night and I was chuffed with how it sounded on stage. It really isn’t like a pedal at all it is just like adding and extra channel to your amp. The response, clarity, dynamics, I’ve not used anything like it before. Delighted with it.

Sounds great, what’s your amp?
    Thanks!

Its a Top Hat Emplexador which is basically a 50w Plexi with a master volume and a switch to switch out the bright cap at lower volume
  • soma1975 said:
    Sounded great. Nice playing too, loved the feedback at the end :)
    Thanks very much! I always find trying to get it to feedback like that a bit of a hairy moment. On a small stage where you can’t move much there is always a chance it will just turn into a screechy mess!! It’s nice when it works though 
    edited August 2019