Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

"Has it got all the paperwork?"

What's Hot

Comments

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    When I bought my Les Paul the chap selling it apologised profusely for not having the correct COA or paper work, I told him I couldn't care less as long as the guitar is legit and plays well. I just don't get the whole case candy thing, it's pointless.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4927
    Can't wait for all these 60 and 70 year old a with twenty and thirty guitars to drop off their perch ;-) 
    Cheers, dude - I'm 59 and I've got 50 guitars/basses.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    TimmyO said:

This all seemed understandable (authenticity, care taken) until this - why ascribe a cash value to this tat? 

It's bizarre to me. But then I don't get collecting either 
    It's the same as keeping replaced parts from an old guitar 'to retain the value' - why? If they needed to be replaced it's because they were knackered! Unless they have some unique dating information on them that isn't on the rest of the guitar... and then you only need one.

I always hear this as being some sort of desirable thing to do/have with an old guitar, but I've yet to see anyone actually pay a higher price just because this sort of rubbish is included.

It's even worse with amps - I sometimes get asked to keep leaking electrolytic caps or cooked resistors. What possible value can there be to keep them? I just bin them, where they belong.
    I keep the bits I replace.

Last year I put the original pickup back on a Ric bass after 20 years. However, I didn't keep its original gap-tooth bridge and have recently spent a lot to get one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72367
    prowla said:

I keep the bits I replace.

Last year I put the original pickup back on a Ric bass after 20 years. However, I didn't keep its original gap-tooth bridge and have recently spent a lot to get one.
    That’s entirely different - those are useful parts that you changed simply because you wanted to fit something else. I’m talking about keeping *useless* parts, like worn-out pots or switches that you would never want to put back because they don’t work properly.

I would keep an original pickup even if it had failed, since it could be rewound later.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5048
    It’s a simple fact of the used guitar market that  a Fender CS guitar without its COA, or a Gibson Custom/Historic guitar without COA, is worth a couple of hundred quid or so less than the equivalent guitar that does have its COA. People may not like that fact or may not understand it, and it may be daft, but it is an economic fact. 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    With a PRS if you don't have the complete paperwork including the hangtag that hangs from one of the machineheads in store then the guitar is pretty much worthless to PRS buyers it seems.
    I swear that there is possibly a blackmarket opportunity for selling blank ones just so PRS owners can actually get a sale

You used to be able to get these blank on EBay 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5425
    jeztone2 said:
    With a PRS if you don't have the complete paperwork including the hangtag that hangs from one of the machineheads in store then the guitar is pretty much worthless to PRS buyers it seems.
    I swear that there is possibly a blackmarket opportunity for selling blank ones just so PRS owners can actually get a sale

You used to be able to get these blank on EBay 
    Legit ones?

You’d still need to make a sticker with the barcode/MODCAT as shown on the bottom left of that one... so the absence of that might indicate that the tag is a “replacement”. 
    It’s a simple fact of the used guitar market that  a Fender CS guitar without its COA, or a Gibson Custom/Historic guitar without COA, is worth a couple of hundred quid or so less than the equivalent guitar that does have its COA. People may not like that fact or may not understand it, and it may be daft, but it is an economic fact. 
    No, it just means that some buyers won't be interested at all. The guitar is worth the same to anyone who doesn't care about the crap.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    DefaultM said:
    Once had a guy try to get £50 off a Korean Tele I was selling because I'd replaced the wiring with all USA parts. 
    They do indeed walk among us 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2863
    edited August 2019
    @prowla - someone made the point that the vintage crash might be coming and eluded that it's based on no demand from the youth of today, and that old retirees have massive collections, some to play and some for alternative isa investments.

I simply joked that I can't wait for all the 60 70 year olds to drop off their perch, which releases all the guitars back in to the market and forces a crash. 

The fact that you've got 50 guitars vaguely backs that up.

I've got no probs with you have a huge collection and good on you and obviously I don't wish for people to literally drop of their perch :-)

And the comments would probably have been more meaningful in the Buying a vintage guitar thread. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    This /\
    If you don't keep the COA or equivalent you are devaluing the guitar, simples, its the first question asked when you're selling a valuable guitar, People can moan about it, but it is fact.
    Buy a guitar without it and come selling time someone will have your pants down, unless it has some other provenance
    Only becomes a non issue if you don't sell or buy, which i cant imagine includes many of us
    Its not even something thats up for debate tbh, 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2019
    adampeter said:

If you don't keep the COA or equivalent you are devaluing the guitar, simples, its the first question asked when you're selling a valuable guitar, People can moan about it, but it is fact.
    Buy a guitar without it and come selling time someone will have your pants down, unless it has some other provenance
    Only becomes a non issue if you don't sell or buy, which i cant imagine includes many of us
    Sorry, but this is just wrong. Personally, I have never once asked, or been asked, whether the 'paperwork' is there, nor have I ever asked for, or given, a discount for not having it.

Some buyers seem to think it's a big deal - they tend to not be interested in the guitar at all if it doesn't have it, not even at a reduced price. Most just don't care either way - other than those who buy and sell expensive guitars on forums, possibly...

The idea that it is worth anything is only perpetrated by those who are trying to chisel a discount when they're going to buy the guitar anyway. Just say no, and if they want the guitar they'll buy it.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • If lots if buyers think the paperwork is valuable then it is, simple. 

I used to work in retail and it always surprised me the number of people I worked with who used to say personally I do this, I do that, my wife does x.

That may be so, but that doesn't mean you ignore what the market/ people/ what everyone else wants, when the majority of people want something different to you. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2019
    ICBM said:
    adampeter said:

Sorry, but this is just wrong. Personally, I have never once asked, or been asked, whether the 'paperwork' is there, nor have I ever asked for, or given, a discount for not having it.

Some buyers seem to think it's a big deal - they tend to not be interested in the guitar at all if it doesn't have it, not even at a reduced price. Most just don't care either way - other than those who buy and sell expensive guitars on forums, possibly...

The idea that it is worth anything is only perpetrated by those who are trying to chisel a discount when they're going to buy the guitar anyway. Just say no, and if they want the guitar they'll buy it.
    I get why you have this opinion, but its fact that a valuable guitar without COA, etc is devalued
    A lot of people (me included) like to buy and sell, not for any profit, just to have the buzz of a new purchase.
    I would buy without COA, but would defo want money off, of course the seller can say no, but doesn't change the fact that its a tricky sell.
    A guitars value is only what someone is prepared to pay for it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
    @prowla - someone made the point that the vintage crash might be coming and eluded that it's based on no demand from the youth of today, and that old retirees have massive collections, some to play and some for alternative isa investments.

I simply joked that I can't wait for all the 60 70 year olds to drop off their perch, which releases all the guitars back in to the market and forces a crash. 

I've got no probs with you have a huge collection and good on you and obviously I don't wish for people to literally drop of their perch :-)

And the comments would probably have been more meaningful in the Buying a vintage guitar thread. 

Aye - my indignation was faux! :-)

Me, I've never bought an instrument as an investment, but I've always tried to avoid losing money on one.

In my case, I simply got to a point where I've gone "hmm, I always fancied one of those..." and it seems to have got a bit out of control.

My most recent one was a tenner at a car boot sale!
    adampeter said:

Correct - and there are buyers who are prepared to pay what it's worth anyway, so why let another one screw you down?

ICBM said:
    adampeter said:

Correct - and there are buyers who are prepared to pay what it's worth anyway, so why let another one screw you down?
    Being screwed down or asking for money off is a matter of perspective
    The fact is with the COA you will have more buyers interested, with all other stuff be equal(ish), hence the devalue without it.
    If there was no value to the COA/Cert why do fender/gibson/PRS use them?, 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    adampeter said:

Being screwed down or asking for money off is a matter of perspective
    The fact is with the COA you will have more buyers interested, with all other stuff be equal(ish), hence the devalue without it.
    No, you're confusing devaluing with reducing interest. There are plenty of buyers who don't care about all the crap and will pay what the guitar is worth with or without it. Sell it to one of those.

adampeter said:

If there was no value to the COA/Cert why do fender/gibson/PRS use them?, 
    To prove authenticity. Although how it really helps given a certificate is far more easily forged than a guitar, I'm not sure...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    prowla said:

Aye - my indignation was faux! :-)

Me, I've never bought an instrument as an investment, but I've always tried to avoid losing money on one.

In my case, I simply got to a point where I've gone "hmm, I always fancied one of those..." and it seems to have got a bit out of control.

My most recent one was a tenner at a car boot sale!
    Gotcha! You're really @HarrySeven in disguise, and I claim my £5!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3319
    If I want a guitar its because I want that guitar. I've played it its what I want.   If you want the tags go and join the Antiques Roadshow Forum over at www.boringgitwhoisntaplayer.co.uk