Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Positive grid spark amp

What's Hot

Comments

• switch625 said:
    Looks like mine has the hum issue too, hadn't noticed as I was using the clean channel mostly. But on the distorted ones it's very obvious and disappears when plugging in to a laptop. Off to their support section I go...

Edit - I’ve read that any laptop power supply will work if it has the same input and a minimum of 2.5A. I have a Toshiba one that fits the port and is rated 3.42A - is it safe to use or will it blow my amp up?
    Had the same issue on mine turned out pushing down on the input cable caused the issue to go away.

Have various cables that work fine in other amps but seems my spark was fussy, found a fender cable that works fine also seems ok with my line 6 wireless.

Other than the above issue I think the amp sounds great once tweaked and raised high off the floor.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I used mine for 30 minutes before deciding to sell it because it didn't do anything better than my Fender GT100. The biggest surprise was that the really clever stuff - auto backing tracks etc - is nothing to do with the amp. It's just an app on your phone. And the app is not locked to the Spark, so it works just as well with my GT100 as it does with the Spark. 

It hummed like buggery too. 

U.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So this one I'm using has the hum. Sounds like I'll have to tell my mate to sort out a new PSU.

I'm still going to buy one I think. I was going to get a Katana but as I'm a home player only, I reckon this has more legs at the minute. Sounds good through headphones too. Some models are better than others. I'm still tempted by a nextone stage but that's a different beast altogether although if it works well through headphones it would probably cover the same bases. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    My order has been shipped, seven days after ordering
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17661
    tFB Trader
    I used mine for 30 minutes before deciding to sell it because it didn't do anything better than my Fender GT100. The biggest surprise was that the really clever stuff - auto backing tracks etc - is nothing to do with the amp. It's just an app on your phone. And the app is not locked to the Spark, so it works just as well with my GT100 as it does with the Spark. 

U.

That's confirmed my suspicion.

It did seem like the app was the fancy bit and the amp was just a THR rival.
  • I used mine for 30 minutes before deciding to sell it because it didn't do anything better than my Fender GT100. The biggest surprise was that the really clever stuff - auto backing tracks etc - is nothing to do with the amp. It's just an app on your phone. And the app is not locked to the Spark, so it works just as well with my GT100 as it does with the Spark. 

U.

That's confirmed my suspicion.

It did seem like the app was the fancy bit and the amp was just a THR rival.
    It is a THR Rival, but I think it's better than the THR, and the Adio, and the Fender GT40 of which Ive owned all 3 (and still have the Adio as 2nd best)
  • rossirossi Frets: 1705
    Its also a fine bluetooth speaker .I like mine but I use it for practice not toneearching on the grandscale .Its great for what it is and I think better than the THR 10C which I had.The app and the amp bring out stuff I hadnt tried before and different  genres indeed so its well worth a paltry 10 bottles of Jack.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11901
    I used mine for 30 minutes before deciding to sell it because it didn't do anything better than my Fender GT100. The biggest surprise was that the really clever stuff - auto backing tracks etc - is nothing to do with the amp. It's just an app on your phone. And the app is not locked to the Spark, so it works just as well with my GT100 as it does with the Spark. 

U.
    How do you use the Spark App on something else?  Just Bluetooth it?

U.
    I'm using a minijack cable with my THR10
    roberty said:

U.
    I’m trying to get my mind round how to get the THR10 talk to the Spark app.
    roberty said:

U.
    I used a minijack to minijack cable from iPad headphone out to THR10 aux in
    roberty said:
    roberty said:

U.
    I used a minijack to minijack cable from iPad headphone out to THR10 aux in
    I think I need a photo. Basically I am trying to picture..

1 - how does the THR10 get all the amp and pedal simulations from the phone
    2 - how does the guitar signal get to that “signal chain” in the app.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I may be wrong but I think the amp modelling Software within the app is only compatible with the spark hardware. The rest of the app functions like the backing tracks work in isolation without needing to be paired with the spark amp. 
  • Is this the Jam Up app?  Or another?
  • I may be wrong but I think the amp modelling Software within the app is only compatible with the spark hardware. The rest of the app functions like the backing tracks work in isolation without needing to be paired with the spark amp. 

That's right - the actual amp and pedal sounds are in the Spark itself.  The part of the app that controls the amp setup would be useless without the Spark because it doesn't actually generate any sound - it just acts as an editor for the amp (which must be true because you can save your setup to one of the presets and use it without even having the app running).  But I don't think PG stop you from using the backing track parts of the app without having a Spark amp attached.  I'm quite surprised by that - I would have assumed they'd make the amp act as sort of "dongle" for the app - perhaps they will if they make the auto-accompaniment stuff more full-featured.
    I may be wrong but I think the amp modelling Software within the app is only compatible with the spark hardware. The rest of the app functions like the backing tracks work in isolation without needing to be paired with the spark amp. 

That's right - the actual amp and pedal sounds are in the Spark itself.  The part of the app that controls the amp setup would be useless without the Spark because it doesn't actually generate any sound - it just acts as an editor for the amp (which must be true because you can save your setup to one of the presets and use it without even having the app running).  But I don't think PG stop you from using the backing track parts of the app without having a Spark amp attached.  I'm quite surprised by that - I would have assumed they'd make the amp act as sort of "dongle" for the app - perhaps they will if they make the auto-accompaniment stuff more full-featured.
    I had to enter my order number to authorise the app. Usually it authorises once it's connected to a Spark via Bluetooth
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • You can use the Spark app on Android without needing the amp or an account, I have neither and just tested it. It still gives you access to the backing tracks. I'm not sure about the learning/transcribing bit as I'm sat at work and unable to try.
    You can use the Spark app on Android without needing the amp or an account, I have neither and just tested it. It still gives you access to the backing tracks. I'm not sure about the learning/transcribing bit as I'm sat at work and unable to try.
    I was prompted to register after using it for a bit
  • roberty said:
    I may be wrong but I think the amp modelling Software within the app is only compatible with the spark hardware. The rest of the app functions like the backing tracks work in isolation without needing to be paired with the spark amp. 

I had to enter my order number to authorise the app. Usually it authorises once it's connected to a Spark via Bluetooth
    Ah OK, so it has to be connected to an amp at least once then does it?  I wonder if I could offer my Spark out "for stud" to activate people's apps... (only joking if anybody from PG reads this ;) )
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2020
    roberty said:
    My order has been shipped, seven days after ordering
    And it arrived today, so 8 days in all

update: has the grounding issue, have you guys been raising support cases?