Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Who upset him then?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• King85King85 Frets: 631
    robgilmo said:
    I dont get how if you put loads of videos on the internet you should get all bent out of shape when people talk about them, or you.

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
    I personally see think of negativity and being negative as a nothing gained scenario. As an example someone posts a NGD and i'm not a fan of that guitar I see no need to say so as I gain nothing from it and it rains on someone else parade, I see no benefit from being negative for anyone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11756
    I just ordered a Durple and a Wild Fro. :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZ said:
    I don’t get all the Andertons hate, they’re all great players with a much funner job than the majority of us on here probably have. I’ve been following Chappers since his original Orange amps demo videos from his home. Can see why he’s a bit marmite but not worthy of all the hate.
    Have you actually been to Andertons?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    I've read the thread in question and can only see a couple of posts displaying irrational hatred, overall the majority seems somewhat ambivalent or positive...oh well, it's 'slap on the wrist' time and into the naughty corner for everybody for the next few days.

As somebody else in this thread said, it's all a storm in a tea cup. I find Pete a thoroughly nice chap but let's not pretend we've all just shat on his front lawn or something.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    Dopesick said:
    I've read the thread in question and can only see a couple of posts displaying irrational hatred, overall the majority seems somewhat ambivalent or positive...oh well, it's 'slap on the wrist' time and into the naughty corner for everybody for the next few days.

As somebody else in this thread said, it's all a storm in a tea cup. I find Pete a thoroughly nice chap but let's not pretend we've all just shat on his front lawn or something.
    A number of comments were split out into a separate thread that was subsequently closed.
  • LoFiLoFi Frets: 534
    King85 said:
    robgilmo said:
    I dont get how if you put loads of videos on the internet you should get all bent out of shape when people talk about them, or you.

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
    I personally see think of negativity and being negative as a nothing gained scenario. As an example someone posts a NGD and i'm not a fan of that guitar I see no need to say so as I gain nothing from it and it rains on someone else parade, I see no benefit from being negative for anyone.
    Indeed. For the benefit of some others, this is called "Not being a dick".

Re the "He's getting paid for it" comment: So is a busker - wouldn't walk up to one of them and tell them they were shit either.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    Dopesick said:

A number of comments were split out into a separate thread that was subsequently closed.
    Ohhh right fair enough...well, I may have a peruse.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    Dopesick said:
    Dopesick said:

Ohhh right fair enough...well, I may have a peruse.
    Personally, I wouldn’t bother...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Roland said:
    I think of the Internet as a free market economy. Whatever shit works, works. Everyone is open to abuse and everyone is open to react to that abuse. It’s completely value and moral-free. 
    Yeah, a lot of the world is like that, but it doesn’t happen in my house. It probably doesn’t happen in yours either, and I guess that a lot of us don’t really want to see it happen on this forum.
    Yes true, not in my house and not in this forum, I hope. Harsh criticism is fine by me though. You have to read right to the end to get a "smoothed" average opinion. I mean if everyone had said "wtf! this is copying x pedal", then that would be a concern. There are always outliers - mavericks who think Boris Johnson is looking out for them, for example. There's nowt as queer as folk.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • I can understand why he's pissed off but he'd have done better to rise above it.  He makes a living as a paid expert, putting a positive spin on stuff his employer is trying to sell.  There's always going to a a suspicion - as with any salesman - that to some extent  there's a bit of sleight of hand, passing off positive spin as authentic opinion.

I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with that.  It's how advertising functions. Caveat emptor and all that. But you can't expect to do it for a living without bringing out a cynical streak in people.

I've seen him praised to the skies on here and it's understandable because he's a fine player.  Insofar as you can tell from the kinds of videos he features in he's always struck me as a nice guy.  But a site like this will inevitably reflect the gamut of responses from people who admire his skills to people who think it's his job to say whatever it takes to get to their wallet.  To take a swipe at the whole site because it has an average share of cynics, as well as people who see life through rose-tinted glasses, doesn't strike me as very grown up.  If he's going to sell stuff for a living he should try to develop a thicker skin.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14430
    Time for a new forum section, perhaps? A private space in which to vent spleen, spit vitriol and other biologically unwise acts. Walls might need padding. Modmins armed with narwhal tusks and fire extinguishers. You get the idea.

Wazmeister said:
    The difference is.... They. Get. Paid. For. It. =)
    Why is that relevant? 
    Got to smile.... =) =)
    IMHO, the relevance of payment is that Chappers, Rabea, Peter and the others benefit financially for doing something that many YouTube viewers believe they could do to the same standard - but for which they will never be invited. ("I'm Yosser Hughes. I could do that. Gi's a job. Go on. Gi's it.") Jealousy and resentment, methinks.

robgilmo said:
    If I put videos out for millions of people to view, I would expect a few to roast me, a few to offer encouragement and a majority to scroll on. ... If you cast into a lake, you gotta expect to catch something but you shouldn't be disappointed if you catch an ugly one.
    Exactly.

Anyone who exposes him or herself to public ridicule, either on stage or via electronic media, should anticipate some negative and/or bizarre reactions from audiences. Hopefully, these are funny enough to become amusing anecdotes in one's autobiography. Meanwhile, the appearance fee or hit/Like payments should adequately compensate for this.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Cheeky get! I've never said anything about him.

I probably wouldn't know anything about him if it wasn't for this place.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmo said:
    If I put videos out for millions of people to view, I would expect a few to roast me, a few to offer encouragement and a majority to scroll on. ... If you cast into a lake, you gotta expect to catch something but you shouldn't be disappointed if you catch an ugly one.
    Exactly.

Anyone who exposes him or herself to public ridicule, either on stage or via electronic media, should anticipate some negative and/or bizarre reactions from audiences. Hopefully, these are funny enough to become amusing anecdotes in one's autobiography. Meanwhile, the appearance fee or hit/Like payments should adequately compensate for this.

Doesn't mean it's not hurtful. And it doesn't excuse those who should know better, really.

I'd like to think this place is several steps above the YouTube comments section. I'd like to.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 585
    edited December 2019
    All these comments of "well you're in the public eye" etc remind me of an incident on instagram.  I won't name names for fear of derailing the thread, however they posted a photo and received the comment "You're husband is gross and you're a bore!", to which she replied (while a bit drunk maybe) "and you're a c***".  Original poster then became vehemently angry and said "how dare you?  That's is an incredibly rude reply!" ... somehow missing how they may have started it!

I, think it's justifiable.  If that comment had been made to me to my face I think "you're a c***" would have been the shortest response I gave.  Just because someone is visible, it doesn't give the invisible masses the right to be dicks.

I also think, actually, Pete's message wasn't that bad.  The original post appeared to be dismissing a line of pedals without trying, or really hearing them first.  OK he may have worded it poorly, or should've ignored it maybe ... but I sort of think his point was valid ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Bezzer said:
    All these comments of "well you're in the public eye" etc remind me of an incident on instagram.  I won't name names for fear of derailing the thread, however they posted a photo and received the comment "You're husband is gross and you're a bore!", to which she replied (while a bit drunk maybe) "and you're a c***".  Original poster then became vehemently angry and said "how dare you?  That's is an incredibly rude reply!" ... somehow missing how they may have started it!

I, think it's justifiable.  If that comment had been made to me to my face I think "you're a c***" would have been the shortest response I gave.  Just because someone is visible, it doesn't give the invisible masses the right to be dicks.

I also think, actually, Pete's message wasn't that bad.  The original post appeared to be dismissing a line of pedals without trying, or really hearing them first.  OK he may have worded it poorly, or should've ignored it maybe ... but I sort of think his point was valid ...
    You follow Melania Trump on Instagram??
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited December 2019
    TTBZ said:
    I don’t get all the Andertons hate, they’re all great players with a much funner job than the majority of us on here probably have. I’ve been following Chappers since his original Orange amps demo videos from his home. Can see why he’s a bit marmite but not worthy of all the hate.
    Have you actually been to Andertons?
    I haven’t, I was just on about their YouTube channel. I don’t really like being in any guitar shop, horrible atmosphere for me in all those places. I’ve bought online from Andertons and the service has been great - they gave me a full refund for an order which was a week over their returns period no questions asked which I thought was good.
  • Roland said:
    I think of the Internet as a free market economy. Whatever shit works, works. Everyone is open to abuse and everyone is open to react to that abuse. It’s completely value and moral-free. 
    Yeah, a lot of the world is like that, but it doesn’t happen in my house. It probably doesn’t happen in yours either, and I guess that a lot of us don’t really want to see it happen on this forum.
    Oh I dunno. The people around here have the "no bad tactics only bad targets" philosophy. Peach Guitars got some abuse. Andertons get abuse. Someone tried to get me fired (or at least in trouble at work). 

I suspect those people are quite fine with a hateful toxic atmosphere; provided the hate and toxicity are aimed at the correct people.

FWIW I made a joke in the previously linked thread, but didn't attack anyone.
    As ever, this remains true. You bunch of hack frauds.

Bye!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom