General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• wibble said:
    wibble said:
    Got around to platinuming Far Cry 5 the other day, just in time for Skater XL. Trying to get used to the controls, a bit different to my Skate 3 muscle memory!

FYI CoD MW2 Campaign is on the PS Store early! (it's one of next month's PS+ free games)
    Is SkaterXL a full game now then..?

Not full in the sense of a story/campaign/online. It's got 5 official maps (including a big ramp map) plus 3 community maps. All with challenges. They've hinted at an online mode in a future patch.

Cool I'll be booting the PC up tomorrow and having a play. Had it pretty much from the start on Steam but got bored of lack of content and couldn't be arsed with the installing mods scene. Great physics tho.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • yorkioyorkio Frets: 173
    Today's big Red Dead Redemption online update has been duly downloaded. Now just waiting for the family to go to bed…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17636
    tFB Trader
    Just completed Super Hot - Super Fun

Just started Breath of the Wild - Wish me luck!
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2414
    FarleyUK said:
    Stevepage said:
    FarleyUK said:
    Loving Ghost of Tshishima on the PS4.

Highly recommended - although I had to resort to English voices as the Japanese ones sounded angry all the time (which you could say is not surprising, given the storyline).
    I was given that as a birthday present. I'll have to try it out tonight.
    It's really good - they've also just updated it with a new difficulty level called 'lethal', which makes the fights more challenging; you and the enemies can only survive a couple of hits. I'll be moving to that later on!
    Just tried it... from never dying in my previous 10 hours, I’ve died six times in an hour. 

It’s awesome! Much more ‘realistic’. 
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Just completed Super Hot - Super Fun

Just started Breath of the Wild - Wish me luck!

I genuinely envy you, I wish I could start breath of the wild again for the first time, one of the best games I've ever played, and I've never played a Zelda game before so not like I'm a fanboy or anything 
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    Yeah, playing BOTW for the first time was special, when you think "this is about the same size as Hyrule in Ocarina of Time" and then realise it's just the starting area you're in.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27104
    Just realised I still had a Switch game voucher for the 2-for-80 thing they did last year. Paper Mario ahoy!! Played about 45 minutes yesterday and it's great so far. Not difficult, but I love the sense of humour.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires

• Currently playing ff8 remaster, which... Yeah, it's ff8. Flawed beauty, great to play it again.

I still want to get a switch and BOTW. Also new pokemon would be nice. 
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    edited August 2020

Currently playing ff8 remaster, which... Yeah, it's ff8. Flawed beauty, great to play it again.

I still want to get a switch and BOTW. Also new pokemon would be nice. 
    FF8 - I'm just waiting for my replacement PSP battery to arrive from China so I can get back on that! I strongly suggest getting the hang of the junctioning system. If you trawl back through this thread I put a note about my general strategy, but you may consider it spoilerish (not plot-wise, just if you're the type of person who likes to find their own way to play a game) EDIT: soz realised you've played it before. I'm all caffeined up at the moment lol

Also playing BOTW still, just 15 minutes here and there now. All this time and it's still delivering up awesomeness

Got back into South Park: The Fractured But Whole recently. I'd put 6 hours in last year and then got derailed by something else. It's a bit of a plod really but good fun and the occasional titter at the puerile humour makes it ideal for Friday night after work
    All practice and no theory
    tFB Trader
    Just started with BOTW.

It's an amazing game but combat seems a bit arbitrary.
    Arbitrary how? It took me a while to figure out my combat style but I've found something that works now and I've also gotten some upgrades that make the whole thing easier and more enjoyable
    tFB Trader
    dafuzz said:
    Arbitrary how? It took me a while to figure out my combat style but I've found something that works now and I've also gotten some upgrades that make the whole thing easier and more enjoyable

Like you can be fighting some monsters and when they hit you it takes off half a heart and then one of them hits you and it takes off 6 hearts and kills you.

Also I've found the advanced combat techniques like back flips and counters really hard to pull off reliably so I end up button mashing and healing a lot.

That's fine but not as satisfying as something like Batman where you can fight huge groups and not get hit if you are skillful.
    I totally get where you're coming from. Without spoilering (unless you specifically ask) the seemingly random difficulty of combat eases off as you progress and fwiw I pretty much never use the jump attack or back flips

Batman's combat was built from a dance game engine iirc and the enemies only attack one at a time so that's not skill that's rhythm! I agree it's satisfying though and loved the swinging around / stealthy combat bits
    Make sure you use Z targeting for Zelda. MrsF found that difficult but it makes everything massively easier. 
    In BOTW part of the whole idea is you will encounter enemies early in the game that you are meant to run away from until you're further on
    tFB Trader
    I've now got stasis plus.

This levels the playing field somewhat :)

Just did "A Major Test of Strength"

Jeez that was hard!
    edited August 2020

This levels the playing field somewhat

Jeez that was hard!
    Yeah, I definitely ran away from those in the early stages. They get a lot easier once you have better weapons & armour.
    tFB Trader

This levels the playing field somewhat

Jeez that was hard!
    Yeah, I definitely ran away from those in the early stages. They get a lot easier once you have better weapons & armour.

I had a pattern where I could avoid it's attacks, but I basically ended up breaking just about every weapon I had because I had to hit it so many times.
    Bumping as I got a decent PC on gumtree (3 months old with an i5 9400F and GTX 1660Ti for £500), so have been back doing a bit of PC gaming.

I never got round to completing fallout 4 so have started into it again from the beginning, I've played through all the available titles on the Master Chief Collection, and I've started Just Cause 4 (though not sure I'll stick with it)

Control and Mortal Shell are next on my radar to get I think
  • strtdv said:
    In BOTW part of the whole idea is you will encounter enemies early in the game that you are meant to run away from until you're further on
    2nd time around I'm giving BotW a go and I've done tons more than the 1st time but I'm struggling to gel with it. I am expecting some hefty battles and it puts me off. 

I like options in Uncharted and Tomb Raider where you can make the combat easier. If Zelda had that I reckon I'd be hooked.