Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Rob Chapman gets death threats?

What's Hot

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12177
    One of the things I've found hardest to come to terms with in life, when I've had the honour to know some lovely people, including some lovely Fretboarders, is that some people are just cunts.

If you feel its acceptable to go online and threaten anyone with violence or death, you are a cunt, nothing more or less.

I watched a few minutes of the video criticising Rob and it seems like the guy's channel is set up specifically to pick holes in and attack you tube personalities who are to a man, self made hardworking professionals.  It doesn't reflect well on him.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm the biggest cunt of the lot, and I'd never threaten anyone online! Unless I'm super drunk, then the Midlands comes out. But still....

I remember a guy on Musicradar getting fighty with me. I pm'd him my address. Typical keyboard warrior obviously couldn't afford the train.

They're all pussies. Skinny little wimps who can throw fists in Second Life, but in reality all they are capable of is installing nude mods in the Sims and Fallout 3, and that's about it.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2364
    I hope no-one mentions Hitler in this thread

...Damn.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    I'm no fan of Chappers or Andertons but after watching just 2 minutes of that bloke's video, that's all the time it took to decide he's a bitter, resentful little twat who should pursue a more productive career.
    And shades and long hair aren't cool, we're not living in the 80s anymore.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • No? Oh. 

*Sadly puts his deely-boppers away in a drawer.*
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Damn. He has more subs than me :(

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I know its slightly off-topic but does anyone else actually really love Youtube as a platform?

Whatever topics of interest I'm looking up (guitars, music, military history, abandoned railways) I find professionally produced free content by the bucket load.

Given the other golden age of entertainment (Netflix having most things I'd want for £8 a month) dying a death, we should enjoy it while it lasts.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6954
    edited December 2019
    The golden age of Youtube has passed too frankly, even if that isn't apparent to the end user yet. It's much more a marketing platform than it ever was and that is only increasing. And unregulated advertising pretending to be something impartial is bloody terrible. 

EDIT: I say this as someone who makes stuff for people to make lots of money out of social media. 

It will absolutely move away from a free to all model and become a tiered service sooner rather than later. Youtube Premium is a toe being dipped in that water. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    I know its slightly off-topic but does anyone else actually really love Youtube as a platform?

Whatever topics of interest I'm looking up (guitars, music, military history, abandoned railways) I find professionally produced free content by the bucket load.

Given the other golden age of entertainment (Netflix having most things I'd want for £8 a month) dying a death, we should enjoy it while it lasts.
    It's been a gift for me over the last 12 months of learning the guitar. I have so much theory under my belt which I couldn't have grasped out of books. It really is a fantastic resource, and as always, if you don't like it, don't click on it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    @darthed1981 ;Youtube is fantastic. It gives me easy access to EIHL (that’s ice hockey btw) so I can follow what’s happening. I can also watch NHL game highlights. 

It has also helped me make countless decisions on gear purchases and I’ve even made friends through it. And this will seem sad but hey, I don’t care... I really enjoy a channel called AMMONYC which is a car valet channel. It certainly makes my OCD tingle!

Musically, I can’t begin to tell you what I’ve found because of YouTube. So many bands and artists I had never heard of. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    soma1975 said:
    The golden age of Youtube has passed too frankly, even if that isn't apparent to the end user yet. It's much more a marketing platform than it ever was and that is only increasing. And unregulated advertising pretending to be something impartial is bloody terrible. 

EDIT: I say this as someone who makes stuff for people to make lots of money out of social media. 

So that's one vote for "no"...
  • Must be a slow Christmas Week in You Tube land LOL
    I think its all rather amusing in a sad first world problems type of way. 

Ultimately how these people live their lives interest me as much as the Kardashians LOL

But sure it will spread around like Gibsons play authentic LOL. 

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10496
    I got bored watching the chappers video ... how can a guy with that much experience make such a boring video ! Tried to watch the other video with the dude in the dark glasses and long hair but he was even duller. I don't wish either of them an ill will but I wonder who's life is so boring they would sit through videos like that ?

I love Youtube and pay the £12 a month because I think it's worth far more than the TV licence. Thankfully there are thousands of great guitarist on there willing to talk more about technique, theory and gear and less about themselves.  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    soma1975 said:

So that's one vote for "no"...
    Well not really - It's been brilliant. I  just know how it is going to end up.

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    edited December 2019
    And this will seem sad but hey, I don’t care... I really enjoy a channel called AMMONYC which is a car valet channel. It certainly makes my OCD tingle!
    I have to admit to being a fan of Geoff Marshall, so we all have our nerdy channels.

He does videos about trains.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975 said:

It will absolutely move away from a free to all model and become a tiered service sooner rather than later. Youtube Premium is a toe being dipped in that water. 
    You're right, but I think it'll take a bit longer than they ideally would want. Also they will have been looking at the Netflix losses, Spotify losses, and other subscription based services that have lost money, and will be approaching more cautiously.

Also their current bread-and-butter creator-base will all fight tooth and nail against losing their platforms, so Youtube need to do some seriously smart stuff to be able to retain their market position and expand to other verticals at the same time.

Cobra Kai was cool. But it wasn't enough to make me pay for Youtube Premium the same way I do with Prime and Netflix.

Bye!

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    edited December 2019
    A quick fact check.

Jo Cox was sadly murdered in 2016. Her murderer was caught and jailed for life. There is no evidence he sent her a threat and he was found to be a member of various far-right groups that objected to immigration and free movement, something Jo Cox supported. However, her murderer never revealed his motive. No MPs were murdered in 2017, 2018 and 2019 (so far).

In the first five months of 2019, MPs reported 152 crimes (many death threats) to the police, who also received reports of another 600 incidents involving MPs. This is a 90% rise on the same period last year and the Met has predicted that if the trend continues, more than 450 crimes will be reported by the end of the year.

So statistically as an MP the likelihood of receiving a death threat and being murdered or attacked are low. Social media makes it easy for any twat with a PC and an internet connection to make threats.

The police do take action:

Robert Vidler was jailed for 18 weeks after being convicted in August on three counts of sending menacing or obscene messages and five counts of harassment. He sent voicemails to several MPs saying he knew where they lived and their movements, and threatening to kill them. He sent Nick Boles, the independent MP for Grantham, a voicemail threatening to cut his throat “if you fuck up Brexit”.

David Stuart, who was convicted in May on two counts of sending a threatening communication, received a 36-week prison sentence suspended for two years. He had sent threatening emails to Andy McDonald, the Labour MP for Middlesbrough, and Anna Soubry, the MP for Broxtowe and the leader of the Independent Group for Change.

Jarod Kirkman was jailed for 42 weeks after being convicted in April on six counts of sending threatening messages to MPs. He sent the online communications to Heidi Allen, the independent MP for South Cambridgeshire, and David Lammy, the Labour MP for Tottenham, who are both remain campaigners. Using email addresses such as “MP@deadpoliticianwalking.com” and “Putin@fsb.ru”, with subject lines of “Brexit traitor” and “Brexit loser”, in one message to Allen he said, “Your days are fucking numbered bitch”, and to David Lammy he wrote: “Fuck off and die in the jungle.”

I actually stopped posting on here for 6 months after I was threatened. I'm back though ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    edited December 2019
    soma1975 said:

You're right, but I think it'll take a bit longer than they ideally would want. Also they will have been looking at the Netflix losses, Spotify losses, and other subscription based services that have lost money, and will be approaching more cautiously.

Also their current bread-and-butter creator-base will all fight tooth and nail against losing their platforms, so Youtube need to do some seriously smart stuff to be able to retain their market position and expand to other verticals at the same time.

Cobra Kai was cool. But it wasn't enough to make me pay for Youtube Premium the same way I do with Prime and Netflix.
    Yup they are a huge juggernaut and like all mega-corps so very very slow to move/change but once they do that will be that. It's not so much original content a la Netflix as I imagine something like sponsored content and creators working through those sponsors down the line.  

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3670
    Don't drop your shopping ladies, this isn't the same thing as the MP who was murdered.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
This discussion has been closed.