2020 Fretboard Virtual Running Club

What's Hot

Comments

• mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    Still running as normal. 2 out of my 3 races have been cancelled in the last week - one was supposed to be for this weekend in Wales (obviously cancelled) and other deferred until 2021. The only race left was training for the deferred race so I decided to withdraw and get some money back. Took last week off to reset and back on it this week. Next race is not until May 2021 now so treating next few months as an off-season period. Keeping mileage fairly consistent over the winter (50-60m) and adding in gym/weights 1-2 times a week plus some MTB for cross training and fun in the mud!

Good to hear others are still running strong :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Iamnobody said:
    Still going - doing my weekend 10k and at least one 5k in the week. Tonight is 5k night!
    How did you make the jump from 5 to 10k?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3888
    Iamnobody said:
    Still going - doing my weekend 10k and at least one 5k in the week. Tonight is 5k night!
    Ran further?
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited October 2020
    Iamnobody said:
    Hi @polarityman the answer to that is incorrectly. A did a few 5ks then one week upped it to a 7.5k and then a 10k. 

Once I’d ran 10 I was pushing it further 11 14, 15 etc without thinking of the damage to my body. I’ve had my fair share of injury his year as a consequence.

Now I only run 2/3 times a week and I really make sure that my warm ups and post run stretches are done correctly. 

Most people recommend small increments of 10% when increasing distance. Which sounds sensible although it’ll take a while to get from 5k to 10k.

Whilst physically I overdid it, I seem to have a pretty good engine. I don’t get too out of breathe running. I’ll regularly do 10k on a rowing machine no problem which is  ~ 45 mins and much harder than running. I think this, or any cross training probably helps.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 310
    Just got myself a pair of running shoes, as my Hi Tec Silver Shadows have long gone.  Not ran for years but as the squash courts are mostly closed and I wouldn't feel comfortable playing at the moment, thought I would give it another go. I cycle Spring to Autumn and Squash Autumn to Spring but not this year.

Got a pair of Under Armour infinte hope I get on with them.

• RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    I'm trying to get going again.  After the May half marathon was cancelled I just stopped running.  Think I did one 5k run in April and haven't laced up my trainers since.

I've put on a load of weight (a couple of stone I think and I was already carrying a stone more than is ideal) and I'm pretty much back at square one.  Decided that redoing c25k is my best bet.  

Just done the first session.  Felt good to be running again but I was right to completely start over.  Breathing still seems okay so I'm hoping that I'll get through the training fairly quickly and be back to being able to do 5k in under the 9 weeks.  I'm not going to push it if it's not happening though.

Need to shift the extra weight as well.  Could feel a slight tweak in my left knee which I've previously had when running while carrying extra weight.  Need to cut back on the beer and snack foods.

Hoping to be in a position to train for the May '21 half marathon if it happens.  At the very least I want to get back to running 5k 3 times a week.
  • 5k in 27:16 yesterday. think thats a PB. Im getting a bit of shoulder pain towards the end at that speed though so think maybe  my technique is getting iffy at that speed.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3731
    Well I'm moving up a gear. If you saw my thread about fitness watches - what do you mean you don't hang on my every word :) - I've just bought a Forerunner
    I am looking at a running belt for my mobile etc when jogging, rather than putting them in my ,pockets. Any suggestions?
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    edited October 2020
    Off and on for me, but I went out for an hour or so this morning, down to the Transporter Bridge and back, after being inspired by Liam Gallagher, who doesn't wear a running watch. I think I'm at the stage where consistency is the top priority anyway. I've left the watch at home before, it can be quite refreshing as long as you can deal with going a bit too far if you decide to go exploring.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    Jaycee said:
    I am looking at a running belt for my mobile etc when jogging, rather than putting them in my ,pockets. Any suggestions?

These are good and don't flap around. Can fit mobile, keys, drink and couple of other bits. Also has a clip for keys so you don't lose them.  Can be found on most sports stores/amazon etc

• Jaycee said:
    I use this one - £7 from Decathlon

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/adjustable-running-belt-for-any-size-of-smartphone-and-keys/_/R-p-302460?mc=8545772&c=GREY

Fits mobile, keys (I just take the two for my front door) and a SIS gel pouch.

I "modded" it with a safety pin to stop the adjustable strap from adjusting while I was running. Otherwise does the job nicely.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
    edited October 2020
    I got one of these. I don’t know I’m wearing it - has a pouch for a phone and one for keys/money etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01CD8GJYW?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Off and on for me, but I went out for an hour or so this morning, down to the Transporter Bridge and back, after being inspired by Liam Gallagher, who doesn't wear a running watch. I think I'm at the stage where consistency is the top priority anyway. I've left the watch at home before, it can be quite refreshing as long as you can deal with going a bit too far if you decide to go exploring.
    Richard Askwith’s book is decent for inspiring running without concentrating on stats etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Running-Free-Runners-Journey-Nature/dp/0224091964/ref=nodl_
    edited October 2020
    Thanks guys, I preferred the look of the Flipbelt but at £30, not sure if I can justify paying that for it just yet, I didn't notice the one on amazon until  I ordedred the Decathlon one in Grey (as that was the only colour left)
    edited October 2020
    Jaycee said:
    Thanks guys, I preferred the look of the Flipbelt but at £30, not sure if I can justify paying that for it just yet, I didn't notice the one on amazon until  I ordedred the Decathlon one in Grey (as that was the only colour left)

blimey they've gone up. Sure I got mine from sportsshoes.com about a year ago and had a 20% off voucher so I recall paid about £16! Anyway concept is the same on all of them.
    mcsdan said:
    Jaycee said:

blimey they've gone up. Sure I got mine from sportsshoes.com about a year ago and had a 20% off voucher so I recall paid about £16! Anyway concept is the same on all of them.

It looks as if Flipbelt see themselves as the market leader judging by the "similar" ones on sale and have priced themselves accordingly
    Well it’s been a month folks, I hope we are all still progressing well?

I’ve settled on 3 longer runs for a total ~ 28k a week. Plenty for an old man like me - 2 8ks midweek evenings and an 11ish on Sunday mornings. 

I also got some shoes that are more suited to trail running as my weekend run takes in canal tow paths and public footpaths. 

I’ve also tried to walk at least a couple of miles a day and more on my non run days

Keep it up everyone. =)
  • Still doing 5ks 3 x a week. Well a little more now. Ive upped my alk speed for the warm up and cool down and now running a little over 10k/h so counting the warmups Im doing about 6.3-6.5 per run. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Had a few weeks out. I slipped running up a hill that was really muddy 3 weeks ago and pulled my adductor (inside thigh) which has taken a while to settle. Had physio and about 90-95% there now. I've done a few easy walks in the last week to get moving and help with recovery. I'm hoping another couple of days and I'll be good to go. 

Next races aren't until May 2021 so would like to be back training beginning of December. Rather let my leg heal properly than rushing back in.

Good to hear others are still out there running. :)