The small things you miss from days gone by ...

What's Hot

Comments

• There genuinely being fuck-all on the telly
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7328
    My mum abusing me. Well, either that or Maverick bars.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Texan bars

8p cone of chips

Kinder eggs with small plastics bits you could choke on

Not being concerned about falling off a skateboard 

Listening to the same album constantly for a week
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9676
    Pie and a pint for a quid.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8707
    Pocket money - I can just about recall 1/2 a crown - Which I think is now 12.5p
    HAL9000 said:
    Pie and a pint for a quid.
    A pint and a packet of crisps for half a crown
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    being excited about a new Iron Maiden album.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    and crisps bag colours were a reliable guide to flavours.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Going down the arcades and seeing how much money you could find in the bottom of penny shovers etc  getting 5 or 10 pennies then changing them for silver.  Collecting all the empty pop bottles on a caravan site and cashing them in. Collecting pop bottles from anywhere and cashing them in . Guy - ing on the lead up to guy fawkes night , sometimes instead of making a guy we would dress up like pirates or whatever and knock peoples doors ,saying do you remember the 5th of November the poor old guy , a hole in me stocking a hole in me shoe so could you spare a copper or two, if not a penny an happeny will do if not an hapenny well god bless you.  Trick or treating ,with a hollowed out swede lit with chopped up candles or a tea light if available , the smell of the burning swede on a cold frosty night , knowing it was soon bonfire night and Christmas and collecting enough money to buy an album if you’re lucky for about £3.50.  Using the school hymn book to go round peoples houses singing carols for change,  fruit machines that didn’t take a degree to understand them - the feeling in the pit of your stomach as it lights up saying nudge now and trying to get something to line up and win.  Getting a large dome nut like off a car wheel , tearing up a whole packet of paper caps into single dots ,pushing them in the dome nut, getting a bolt and screwing it in the dome nut , throwing it up in the air and the amazing bang as it hits the ground .  Having small fires , experimenting with burning different things , nothing destructive. Burning plastic would make amazing sounds as small molten pieces dropped off. One of my friends made some lead bars  by having a fire in this brick shed like a pig sty at the bottom of his garden , he put lead off the building site in the depression of LBC bricks and got these perfectly formed little bars of lead. He also had a pet crow and had rabbit skins curing in the garden , and a fox skin with a hole in the head where he shot it. , he also had a load of mice , his vicious Alsatian. Had to be restrained when I visited though as it didn’t like people and was loose round the back . Another friend had a vicious dog called patch with one blind eye which his dad kept On a chain , the trick to this was to flatten yourself against the wall , and even when it was strained at it’s neck on it’s rear legs it’s jaws were just out of reach if you were skinny like me as a kid , it took many weeks before I got the courage to do this but once I had it sussed it was just a minor concern . It was to dissuade debt collectors ,bailiffs , customs and excise etc .

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Texan bar good shout ,  prize bar, spangles ,toffo , amazing raisin bar ,gold cup, bar six, blackjack fruit salad chews , chocolate and chewing gum machines on the wall . Proper juke boxes 
  • Surely kissing and any form of heavy petting round the back of the bike shed, or any other secluded place
    Kiss chase, postman’s knock  ,truth ,dare ,kiss or promise.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12370
    Those thunderclap things you got free with the Beano or the Dandy. If the paperboy hadn’t nicked it. 

Paperboys. 

Spangles 

• Decent toys in cereal packets 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2289

eye contact - everyone is studied their terribly exciting phone updates

people looking where they are going when they walk - See above.

random conversation with people in public - See above.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010

being able to get extremely drunk without some bellend recording it on their phone

• pmbomb said:
    and crisps bag colours were a reliable guide to flavours.
    Plain could be , red ,or dark blue. Salt and vinegar could be light blue or green. Cheese n onion could be green or dark blue. Beef n onion,oxo etc brown. Smokey bacon burgundy, tan etc.

golden wonder I think , sausage and tomato flavour  eating these or beef n onion while wTching the Rockford files or the professionals 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    bodhi said:
    Riding bikes, building tree houses, making slingshots and bows and arrows...

I'm getting to do all this kind of stuff again with my son  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Early 1980's our local SavaCentre in Oldbury, West Midlands always seemed to have a massive range of Star Wars toys and merchandise on display, T.J Hooker, Street Hawk and Vesta curries. 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4168
    edited January 2020
    Tiswas. Jackanory ,play school , hanna Barbara cartoons , animations from eastern block countries , like the little mole

Little mole animation below. I could quite happily have a room decorated with murals from the art in this series ,absolutely enchanting 

https://youtu.be/O2XNh-vXZfQ
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    Early 1980's our local SavaCentre in Oldbury, West Midlands always seemed to have a massive range of Star Wars toys and merchandise on display, T.J Hooker, Street Hawk and Vesta curries. 

also dukes of hazard and starsky and hutch
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    Early 1980's our local SavaCentre in Oldbury, West Midlands always seemed to have a massive range of Star Wars toys and merchandise on display, T.J Hooker, Street Hawk and Vesta curries. 
    They did vesta curry toys? I so want one of those
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom