The small things you miss from days gone by ...

What's Hot

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Birds in the garden. We had a big garden when I was a kid. At any point in the day you could count approx 4 blackbirds, 8 starlings and about 14 sparrows. Swallows would build nests in the eaves of the roof and we would hang up food and watch blue tits, coal tits, great tits, goldcrests etc pecking away, and we would just be a couple of metres away watching them.

Our garden now we get 1 pigeon roughly every 6 months. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • toffos ,
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24312
    Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27509
    My stomach.

That was a “small thing from days gone by”
    :(
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11297
    Cola powder, mix it with water to get a slightly fizzy drink that tasted not a great deal like coca cola.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Clipping a piece of cardboard to my bicycle forks to make an ersatz, puny engine noise. Now the spoilt little shits get spokey-dokeys.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11901
    Danny1969 said:
    Being young, naive and completely unaware that the world would be destroyed by stupidity and greed within my lifetime

Oh and Spangles   

you should read "Factfulness", the world has improved massively within your lifetime
  • Going down the arcades and seeing how much money you could find in the bottom of penny shovers etc  getting 5 or 10 pennies then changing them for silver.  Collecting all the empty pop bottles on a caravan site and cashing them in. Collecting pop bottles from anywhere and cashing them in . Guy - ing on the lead up to guy fawkes night , sometimes instead of making a guy we would dress up like pirates or whatever and knock peoples doors ,saying do you remember the 5th of November the poor old guy , a hole in me stocking a hole in me shoe so could you spare a copper or two, if not a penny an happeny will do if not an hapenny well god bless you.  Trick or treating ,with a hollowed out swede lit with chopped up candles or a tea light if available , the smell of the burning swede on a cold frosty night , knowing it was soon bonfire night and Christmas and collecting enough money to buy an album if you’re lucky for about £3.50.  Using the school hymn book to go round peoples houses singing carols for change,  fruit machines that didn’t take a degree to understand them - the feeling in the pit of your stomach as it lights up saying nudge now and trying to get something to line up and win.  Getting a large dome nut like off a car wheel , tearing up a whole packet of paper caps into single dots ,pushing them in the dome nut, getting a bolt and screwing it in the dome nut , throwing it up in the air and the amazing bang as it hits the ground .  Having small fires , experimenting with burning different things , nothing destructive. Burning plastic would make amazing sounds as small molten pieces dropped off. One of my friends made some lead bars  by having a fire in this brick shed like a pig sty at the bottom of his garden , he put lead off the building site in the depression of LBC bricks and got these perfectly formed little bars of lead. He also had a pet crow and had rabbit skins curing in the garden , and a fox skin with a hole in the head where he shot it. , he also had a load of mice , his vicious Alsatian. Had to be restrained when I visited though as it didn’t like people and was loose round the back . Another friend had a vicious dog called patch with one blind eye which his dad kept On a chain , the trick to this was to flatten yourself against the wall , and even when it was strained at it’s neck on it’s rear legs it’s jaws were just out of reach if you were skinny like me as a kid , it took many weeks before I got the courage to do this but once I had it sussed it was just a minor concern . It was to dissuade debt collectors ,bailiffs , customs and excise etc .

I don’t know about you, but right now I miss... paragraphs.
    BaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaastardYouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuGotttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttInnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnFiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrst.

Oh, aye....My Liver!
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10410
    Danny1969 said:
    Being young, naive and completely unaware that the world would be destroyed by stupidity and greed within my lifetime

Oh and Spangles   

you should read "Factfulness", the world has improved massively within your lifetime
    Improvement is open to interpretation ...... my comment was concerning  destruction, the destruction of the rain forest in the Amazon and Indonesia, the destruction of entire species, the destruction of our own eco system etc. It's not something that ever came up 40 years ago but now the bleakness hangs over all of us I think to a certain extent. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • boogieman said:
    Some kids at school had James Bond and six million dollar man watches , i yearned for these
    I desperately wanted the Corgi James Bond car that fired the passenger through the roof. Never got it. 
    Me too, although I did have a matchbox size one that did that , that was fortunate as I never saw one again. I had the lotus esprit  underwater one ,and the batmobile 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    equalsql said:
    Walking into my local newsagent and lusting after the Airfix kits hanging in plastic bags from the rotary display.

Buying those stencil kits where you could rub down transfers of airplane, dinasours etc on printed backgrounds.

Chips for 4p and Fish for 12p

Visiting Woolworths and gazing at the Audition electric guitars on show wishing I could afford the 13 quid for one.

Wishing I had enough pocket money to buy a Picnic bar...luxury!

Being told my the person at the till that I was cool when I bought the vinly single of You're So Vain by Carly Simon whilst most others in the queue were buying Blockbuster by Sweet :3

Drinking crap fake cola cos (yuk) I couldn't afford the genuine Coca Cola.

Corona!

I go to Porth for work about once a month which is where they made Corona until 1987. The factory is still there and is the local arts and community centre now ( they have the odd band on I think ) known as The Pop Factory ( see what they did there) and I’ve had a wander around the public bits of it. 
    We rarely had fizzy drinks at home but my Aunt Lou, in Bilston, used to have Corona delivered so it was exciting to visit her and guzzle lemonade. Although the real but very rare treat was this:

https://i.imgur.com/9k2TKyY.jpg
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • No one remembers the yellow Vulcan elastic band launched planes then. I’ve just been googling them . I would defo buy one now. Not a trace
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    No one remembers the yellow Vulcan elastic band launched planes then. I’ve just been googling them . I would defo buy one now. Not a trace

I remember those. but they did not fly well as the wings were nearly always bent 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12328
    Lying on my bed, smoking fags and listening to a vinyl LP from start to finish whilst looking at the cover without being concerned about whether or not the mids were haunting enough or whether the bass was well rounded
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Danny1969 said:
    Danny1969 said:

Oh and Spangles   

Improvement is open to interpretation ...... my comment was concerning  destruction, the destruction of the rain forest in the Amazon and Indonesia, the destruction of entire species, the destruction of our own eco system etc. It's not something that ever came up 40 years ago but now the bleakness hangs over all of us I think to a certain extent. 
    I'd really recommend the book
    equalsql said:
    Walking into my local newsagent and lusting after the Airfix kits hanging in plastic bags from the rotary display.

Buying those stencil kits where you could rub down transfers of airplane, dinasours etc on printed backgrounds.

Chips for 4p and Fish for 12p

Visiting Woolworths and gazing at the Audition electric guitars on show wishing I could afford the 13 quid for one.

Wishing I had enough pocket money to buy a Picnic bar...luxury!

Being told my the person at the till that I was cool when I bought the vinly single of You're So Vain by Carly Simon whilst most others in the queue were buying Blockbuster by Sweet :3

Drinking crap fake cola cos (yuk) I couldn't afford the genuine Coca Cola.

Corona!

I go to Porth for work about once a month which is where they made Corona until 1987. The factory is still there and is the local arts and community centre now ( they have the odd band on I think ) known as The Pop Factory ( see what they did there) and I’ve had a wander around the public bits of it. 
    We rarely had fizzy drinks at home but my Aunt Lou, in Bilston, used to have Corona delivered so it was exciting to visit her and guzzle lemonade. Although the real but very rare treat was this:

https://i.imgur.com/9k2TKyY.jpg
    Alpine bottles were better for:
    1. bottling our home brew
    2. collecting beer from the taps in the off-license, which was an extra counter at the entrance of a pub, or a small room with no chairs with a counter to bring your empty bottles to
    Having to get a 1 hour bus into Brum to go into the record shop in Burlington Arcade on the first day they released the tickets for a gig of band you wanted to see
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Neat and Tidy, a nuts tv show with a fit bird in it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h2QA9hApoNk
  • 8 year old me and my 9 year old best friend having to fetch 20 number 6  John players for his dad from the shop 
  • Cresta was lush ,