Composition Challenge #3 "Chord Fun"

What's Hot

Comments

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    mellowsun said:
    Can you use extensions of the given chords? If the rules state 'and the notes within them', and F# is one of those notes, then can I play an F# with Gmaj to make Gmaj7?
    Seems fair enough.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    I'm not qualified to say but for me that particular example would be ok, because G major has a major 7 in it anway, by default as it were. But I wouldn't say you could change it to G7 (if an F natural were allowed in the whole scheme), because then you would be deviating from G major, where as with Gmaj7 you're not.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • FazerFazer Frets: 467
    I think

Bmaj7 has B - F# - A# - D#  - Gb - Bb - Eb

Gmaj has G - B - D

Esus4 has E - B - A

can anyone confirm this?
    Bmaj7 is B, D#, F#, A#
    there are only 4 specified notes in a 7th chord, the 1,3,5,7 of the scale

so if it had to be strictly derived from only those 3 chords the harmonic environment would be
    e f# g a a# b d d#
    which is an interesting sort of extended blues scale in E

but i think its simpler to just say write a song/music using only those 3 chords, and people will have a bit of freedom in extended melodies from those chords
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    My brain hurts....but still, I'll have a go with this one as well. Haven't picked up a guitar yet to even play those chords together, but I'll give it a go and see what comes out of the amp.
  • Fazer said:
    I think

Bmaj7 has B - F# - A# - D#  - Gb - Bb - Eb

Gmaj has G - B - D

Esus4 has E - B - A

can anyone confirm this?
    Bmaj7 is B, D#, F#, A#
    there are only 4 specified notes in a 7th chord, the 1,3,5,7 of the scale

so if it had to be strictly derived from only those 3 chords the harmonic environment would be
    e f# g a a# b d d#
    which is an interesting sort of extended blues scale in E

but i think its simpler to just say write a song/music using only those 3 chords, and people will have a bit of freedom in extended melodies from those chords
    OK thanks I will update that later.
    Old Is Gold
  • imalone said:
    Are partial versions of those chords (or whatever the final chords are) allowed?
    yep
    Old Is Gold
  • Antique_GuitarsAntique_Guitars Frets: 1167
    edited June 2014
    mellowsun said:
    Can you use extensions of the given chords? If the rules state 'and the notes within them', and F# is one of those notes, then can I play an F# with Gmaj to make Gmaj7?
    Yeah OK lets allow 1 note extensions to the chords as long as they remain in their original scales.
    Old Is Gold
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Been strumming away .. not found anything that 'works' yet. Out of interest can we bend notes?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Fretwired said:
    Been strumming away .. not found anything that 'works' yet. Out of interest can we bend notes?
    Yeah why not
    Old Is Gold
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7288
    Man...c# is so awesome I have 2 strings tuned to it :(
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Vid up now (I will add the annotations tomorrow)

Old Is Gold
    edited June 2014
    I had a session on the computer yesterday and I have a piece that's developing nicely - although it's mutated into something quite different to the original idea. Not having a C# (or even a C natural) to play with caused a few head scratching moments as my melody ideas kept wanting to use that C#. I seem to have come up with something, though, and it's a bit different to what I might have come up with left to my own devices.

I now have a 'main section' and an 'alternate section' roughed out and need to come up with an arrangement - my biggest problem may be keeping it under 2 minutes. Maybe I should have set the tempo quicker than 110bpm - I could have fitted in more bars. I might even be able to squeeze in an Eminor pentatonic solo on a fade out.

Interesting challenge.
    :)
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    @steamabacus - if you don't mind me asking how do you go about roughing out a task like this? I've strummed the chords and recorded them- I have a Godin midi guitar so I can make some string pads but I get a sense I could be more creative.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    I don't mind at all.

I started off with a guitar and a pen and paper, jotted down the chords, the notes within them and tried to see if I could find any convenient links between them. Very early I came up with a sort of repeated figure/sequence based around a kind of blues scale pattern - this ended up being slightly simplified and used as an underlying sequence (kind of like a repeating synth arpeggio but I did it on guitar). I also played around with various inversions of the chords and tried to find a nice chord progression with some sense of movement - I ended up using my looper to play the repeated sequence and found a chord pattern that went well over the top.

I used the looper quite a lot to play around with ideas for a melody over this sequence/chord progression using just the notes from the three chords. I was initially using an ebow for this  - I find it useful to limit my 'speed' and focus on strong melody. I also worked out a bassline (still using my guitar and looper) that worked with the chord progression. So eventually I had a sequence/chords/ bassline/top melody and this was my 'main' section.

Then, going back to just the sequence, I worked out an 'alternate' section with a different chord sequence (actually just a different inversion of an Esus4) and a different bassline (based around an E - in the main section the bass is playing an A under the Esus4) and another melodic idea.

So I had a main groove idea and an alternate section to add a bit of variety, all worked out on guitar and looper with ideas recorded onto a minidisc so I wouldn't forget them - I find it much easier be creative away from the computer.

The next stage was to find a drum groove on Addictive Drums that would suit and then record the various parts of the main groove onto Cubase, just as 1 or 2 bar loops. I love layering up guitars and so added a complimentary guitar line playing the chord sequence. So, I had a drum part, a bassline (played on guitar still), two guitar parts playing versions of the chord progression and a main melody (as clean guitar rather than ebow). This is where I was at last night.

I have just finished another session on the computer. I've basically done the same again with the 'alternate' section laid down as short 1 or 2 bar loops. I then cut&pasted and moved stuff about and worked out a short arrangement. I have an  intro, a build into the main melody which plays through twice (16 bars, I think) and then a change into the alternate section, which I think I'll fade out on with a bit of a guitar solo - and I'm pretty much bang on 2 minutes!

So I've now got a rough recording of the arrangement, all played on guitar and cut&pasted from short snippets. The plan now is to re-record all those parts as continuous takes with a bass and various tones to suit, maybe do a bit more editing on the drum parts (which I find mind-numbingly slow and laborious work) and then finally mix it all down to stereo.

I hope that all makes some kind of sense.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Going to hve a crack at this tomorrow after work.

Going to try something a bit different.
    Just had my first strum with those chords. Hmmm, inspiration didn't really strike, but I'll work on it.

• Just had my first strum with those chords. Hmmm, inspiration didn't really strike, but I'll work on it.
    Play them wearing a thong and see what you get.
    Old Is Gold
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7288
    My piece for this might be spoken word......
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    edited June 2014
    Is it me or are these horrible chords?
    Hmmmpf.
    I chose the chords.
    They are the first 3 chords to Coltrane's Giant Steps.

EDIT: Ah I see Sheldon changed them from my original suggestion.
    Nevermind- not my fault. ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Just had my first strum with those chords. Hmmm, inspiration didn't really strike, but I'll work on it.
    Play them wearing a thong and see what you get.

Silk or PVC?