Composition Challenge #3 "Chord Fun"

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    @steamabacus .. thanks for sharing. I do a similar thing. I have a PC-based tool called Guitar Power which allows me to look at chords, scales and arpeggios - I always use an acoustic and strum chords then try to work out what to do next. I should follow your example and use a looper. I use an NI Maschine to build drum tracks however they tend to sound simplistic - something I need to work on.

We should maybe start a thread on how to create a track and where to get inspiration from. I found your post interesting.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9719
    edited June 2014
    There are three chords? Honestly? I'm thinking of doing a drone in the style of African desert blues
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So if chords are used it's those ones...

And any notes go within that selection at all times for melody?

Also, my guitar is in flats do I'm... Er... Loosely reinterpreting.

;)
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    I gave up...Im really not into the technicality of working with notes within chords and all that jazz....( no pun )

Will await the next challenge. 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27548
    edited June 2014
    I don't mind at all.

I hope that all makes some kind of sense.
    Wow!

Thanks for sharing all that detail.  Very methodological.  I'm expecting to get some time next week.  I'll sit down with a guitar and my iPad and noodle for a while to see if my fingers find anything that my ears like.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • spark240;258287" said:
    I gave up...Im really not into the technicality of working with notes within chords and all that jazz....( no pun )

Will await the next challenge. 
    No problem @spark240 the next challenge is already worked out and I think you will like it.
    Old Is Gold
  • ThePrettyDamned;257701" said:
    So if chords are used it's those ones...

And any notes go within that selection at all times for melody?

Also, my guitar is in flats do I'm... Er... Loosely reinterpreting.

;)
    Any notes that can be found within those chords yes, but not all notes as some are not found in any of those three chords. Info on what notes are available can be found on the front page.
    Old Is Gold
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    These chords sound a bit like the chorus to 'Sweet Love' by Anita Baker. I think it's the tritone between Bmaj7 and Gmaj7. Sweet Love goes Amaj7 to Fmaj7 I think.
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Got something worked out I think. Just need to re-record it :)
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited June 2014
    I think it might have been better to try and "incorporate" a certain chord or chords rather than being restricted to only using certain chords/notes.
    I'm going to have a try anyway, if I can. 
  • Well I'm not a fan of this kind of challenge either, but several people asked for something like this so I have to try and appease everyone as best I can.
    Old Is Gold
    Well I'm not a fan of this kind of challenge either, but several people asked for something like this so I have to try and appease everyone as best I can.
    Cool. Does actually make it more challenging...for me anyway. Should be fun. 
    edited June 2014
    Well I'm not a fan of this kind of challenge either, but several people asked for something like this so I have to try and appease everyone as best I can.
    Cool. Does actually make it more challenging...for me anyway. Should be fun. 
    One more thing...I take it I don't need to re-tune my guitar, or put a capo on? I mean it's tuned down half a step. 
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    Just call it 'Baroque' tuning and you'll get away with it, I think.
    ;)
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Just emailed mine...
    Just call it 'Baroque' tuning and you'll get away with it, I think.
    ;)
    Cheers. Thought I better ask.

Sorry for being a dumb dumb but I'm still not sure I get it! Do you need to use the chords (as in an instrument playing them in their entirety) or just the notes in them? Obviously you can create other chords/harmonies.
  • Just call it 'Baroque' tuning and you'll get away with it, I think.
    ;)
    Cheers. Thought I better ask.

Sorry for being a dumb dumb but I'm still not sure I get it! Do you need to use the chords (as in an instrument playing them in their entirety) or just the notes in them? Obviously you can create other chords/harmonies.
    If you are playing chords in your song you can only use those three, however you can use the notes within those chords to noodle stuff inbetween or write melodies etc etc
    Old Is Gold
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    edited June 2014
    The way I interpreted it is, I used just the given chords (or inversions or partials of them) but then I added extra parts - bass line, top melody, using only the notes present in those three chords but not purely restricted to the notes in the current chord. So there might be passing notes outside of the current chord but they would be notes that are present in one of the other chords.

Most importantly, though - absolutely no C#'s! Instant disqualification if you play the Devil's note.
    \m/ ;)

Will the tracks be subjected to strict scrutineering to ensure no sneaky notes are smuggled in?
    Will Challenge #3 prove even more controversial than the great voting furore of #2?
    The tension is mounting .... my poor heart can't take it! 
      X_X

:D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Working out if there is a heavy as balls rock riff in those notes and chords somewhere. 

#notaveryversatileguitarist
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I assume that at some point in the track all three chords must be used, is that correct?