Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Parking on yellows outside a school

What's Hot

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3581
    robgilmo said:
    If Im honest though, I just like to go about my day and not bother about such things, people are people, people do what people do.
    People complain about selfish drivers. You seem to be bothered about that.
    What does bother me is people being judgemental, like a parent parks on a yellow line outside a school and they must be the most selfish bastard who ever lived , kind of thing. Their parking is hardly knocking anyone sideways.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Matt_McG said:
    I have done this, and got a ticket for it.

1) It was during school hours, i.e. not during the times when the kids arrive and leave
    2) I was there because my son was sick and I had been phoned at work to collect him at about 2:30pm.
    3) There was a camera car outside the school and I got nailed.

I didn't dispute the ticket, though. I'm fully in favour of them ticketing people who do this, I was just unlucky.
    I’d be lying if I said I’ve never parked illegally but I’ve never done it outside a school. It’s just common sense that doing something that could endanger children is a twatish thing to do. I’d think that even if I didn’t have kids but when you do it’s even more present  in your mind. The fact that other parents who have kids at the same school can’t see that simple fact just shows you how some people apparently have an inability to see things from anyone’s perspective but their own.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7372
    So just to clear things up. If it's frowned upon to let the air out of tyres, then a midnight trip to glue upended drawing pins and broken glass to the yellow lines is definitely a big no no?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17666
    tFB Trader
    At my kids school there is a mum who drives her car into the school grounds (which you aren't allowed to do), chucks her kids out of the car and drives off without seeing them to their classroom (it's a primary school)

When asked not to do this she told the teachers to "Fuck Off" and carried on.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmo said:
    robgilmo said:
    If Im honest though, I just like to go about my day and not bother about such things, people are people, people do what people do.
    What does bother me is people being judgemental, like a parent parks on a yellow line outside a school and they must be the most selfish bastard who ever lived , kind of thing. Their parking is hardly knocking anyone sideways.
    Their parking could be part of the reason why an accident might happen due to poor visibility etc. That’s the reason why it’s illegal. How hard is that to understand?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 546
    At my kids school there is a mum who drives her car into the school grounds (which you aren't allowed to do), chucks her kids out of the car and drives off without seeing them to their classroom (it's a primary school)

When asked not to do this she told the teachers to "Fuck Off" and carried on.

Hang on. I'll fetch my Panzerfaust.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16146
    You need Harry Enfield's  " Parking Pattawayo "
    Check him out
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13958
    As someone who lives 50 yards from a primary school on one side and 100 yards from a secondary school on the other...I would love to let the air out of their tyres, but that would result in them being stuck blocking my driveway for even longer.

I've taken to using some very nasty, sticky, not-easily-removable tape to add a helpful note on considerate parking to their bonnets.
    Try spraying "Cock Piss Partridge" in silly string across their doors, it's a treat to get your point across. 

• The whole 4x4 thing. Nothing against 4x4s just the drivers. Many years ago my son went to a private nursery so catchment area was not something that applied. So we drove in small VW Beatle. Being a private school the 4x4 arms race was very prevalent. The number of time we where backed into and hit without them even caring (or noticing has they used to say despite having reversing sensors and even video) was beyond pale. I never accepted them offering to pay for the damage I always went through insurance. Eventually the whole street outside the school became a red route. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24604
    Take pictures.

Upload them: https://youparklikeacunt.com/

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    More egregious still are those same illegally parked cars engines idling and spewing out fumes in an area full of kids and pedestrians whilst Jennifer or Hubert drool over their phones in an attempt to book this morning's yoga class or meet with Henrietta for a coffee. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9869
    edited January 2020
    robgilmo said:
    robgilmo said:
    That's your over-exaggerated judgement there, we are saying that parking there is a very selfish thing to do, not that people who do it are the most selfish people in the world. If you, for example, spoke loudly, that would not make you the loudest speaker in the world would it

It's illegal and selfish, and crucially, avoidable in basically every case. If your kid can't walk properly then you arrange something with the school, use a wheel chair or frame perhaps. These kids are already inheriting a dying planet and a society wasting away due to the culture of their elders, perhaps if we respected their safety and their future a bit more then they might be able to grow up to change things for the better
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881

Personally I'd have used brake fluid, and not on the car. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6907
    edited January 2020
    Most councils don’t have enough resources to patrol every school every day. It’s not a police issue - I’m not aware of anywhere in the uk where parking hasn’t been decriminalised.

The civil enforcement officers also have to give an observation period on single and double yellow lines which means parents can drive off when they see them; they are no waiting restrictions but loading and unloading is permitted as is allowing a passenger to board or alight. The exception being if kerb markings have also been provided to prohibit loading.

School Keep Clear Zig zags are a no stopping restriction and CEOs can issue straight away.

Lots of parents are lazy cunts who would park in the classroom if they could. I see it every day at our school - parents who live on the same road within a 5 min walk etc driving their kids to school. Then there’s afternooners who turn up 40 mins early to get the nearest space.

I get some people have to drive to school, but mostly it’s a choice. And it’s always a choice to park as close to the entrance as possible...

We’ve found that parking a short distance away from the school and walking the rest of the journey is much easier than fighting for a space outside the school and getting mixed up in the congestion.

Now the youngest is 4, our kids both bike to school (~ 1 mile) a lot of the time - even on a frosty day such as today.

Previously known as stevebrum
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4942
    I don’t know that parked cars or not make it safer or more dangerous. 
    We do have a thing in this country where folks aren’t allowed to park anymore. 
    Letting the air out of tyres could cause a vehicle to lose control and have an accident, thereby making the prediction of an accident self-fulfilling. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11970
    Jalapeno said:
    Are we Mumsnet now ? :/

you just noticed?
    I've been calling this Guitarmums for 4 years
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14571
    Use humour.

Stencil cock and balls graphics onto the offending vehicles in aerosol Christmas "snow". 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6907
    prowla said:
    I don’t know that parked cars or not make it safer or more dangerous. 
    We do have a thing in this country where folks aren’t allowed to park anymore. 
    Letting the air out of tyres could cause a vehicle to lose control and have an accident, thereby making the prediction of an accident self-fulfilling. 
    Vehicle/pedestrian collision rates outside schools are usually very low/non existent. Parking or no parking but...

On street parking can provide natural traffic calming and slow traffic speeds. Which is quite handy near schools when there’s a potential for ped/vehicle onflict.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3581
    edited January 2020
    The whole 4x4 thing. Nothing against 4x4s just the drivers. Many years ago my son went to a private nursery so catchment area was not something that applied. So we drove in small VW Beatle. Being a private school the 4x4 arms race was very prevalent. The number of time we where backed into and hit without them even caring (or noticing has they used to say despite having reversing sensors and even video) was beyond pale. I never accepted them offering to pay for the damage I always went through insurance. Eventually the whole street outside the school became a red route. 
    I drive one , every day, ive never crashed into anyone, had one or two bounce off me, a Saab wrote itself off under my rear cross member, my car wasn't even scratched, I didn't even know it had happened until I saw the steam in my rear view mirror, luckily , and I shit you not , It was ,my other half on her way to work, or unluckily which ever way you look at it. I actually laughed when it happened, I never liked that car and we ended up buying a Saab convertible to replace it.

When I think about it, Im quite lucky I was driving the Land Rover or I would have had to replace two cars. Sometimes I drive the Land Rover on the school run, the kids love it, Ive yet to get the anti 4x4 brigade snarling at me, must be a city thing, anyhow, so , you had multiple accidents where only 4x4's reversed into you? Thats very unlucky indeed, you couldn't make that up.

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12418
    Use humour.

Stencil cock and balls graphics onto the offending vehicles in aerosol Christmas "snow". 
    My friend sprayed “I love “ then his name in 6 foot high letters on the side of a wall in snow spray when we were kids, was there 2 years later.